Thread: URGENT CHANGE to Va-Alert re VA forest carry regulation comments needed

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Even if you posted on the original thread - read this.

First, good work! We are at 926 comments in 16 hours.

Second, we need to change the message so that we can get open carry
    considered as a legal means of carrying in State Forests. We need at
    least 25 people to request a hearing.

To do that, we need to change the subject and messages to be similar
    to these:

Suggested subject: "I support the new regulation, but open carry
    needs to be allowed"

Suggested message: "I support the new regulation, but I am asking for
    a hearing on allowing for the open carry of handguns State Forests.
    That would bring State Forests into compliance with a formal opinion
    (08-043) published in September 2008 by the Virginia Attorney General."

Here is the link to the comment area again:

http://townhall.virginia.gov/L/ViewS...m?stageid=5042
    __________________________________________________ __________

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Grapeshot, do we need to specifically request a hearing on open carry in state forests? I did a word find of "open" in the subject blocks and counted 140 subject lines specifically included support for open carry.

Edited to add: Both my original comment and subject line discuss changing rules to allow for open carry as well as concealed.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

jmelvin wrote:
    Grapeshot, do we need to specifically request a hearing on open carry in state forests? I did a word find of "open" in the subject blocks and counted 140 subject lines specifically included support for open carry.

Edited to add: Both my original comment and subject line discuss changing rules to allow for open carry as well as concealed.
    According to the way I read the Va-Alert, yes a hearing needs to be specifically requested by a minimum of 25 people.

Of course loading them up wouldn't hurt either.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    jmelvin wrote:

According to the way I read the Va-Alert, yes a hearing needs to be specifically requested by a minimum of 25 people.

Of course loading them up wouldn't hurt either.

Yata hey
    Could a proposal not also be put forward to allow open carry in State Parks as well? Might as well go all the way.

Post imported post

Done.

Post imported post

It kind of bothers me to ask for an administrative regulation specifically to allow something that the Virginia Constitution provides as a matter of right. *See Article I, Sect. 13, upon which the 2nd Amend. to the U.S. Const. was based.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

user wrote:
    It kind of bothers me to ask for an administrative regulation specifically to allow something that the Virginia Constitution provides as a matter of right. See Article I, Sect. 13, upon which the 2nd Amend. to the U.S. Const. was based.
    Um, no. Article I, Sect. 13 was enacted in the 1970s, and has never been construed by a court to mean anything yet.

Post imported post

I suspect that your reasoning for the concept that section 13 was enacted in the 1970's is due to the fact that the entire Constitution was re-enacted with some changes (effective as of July 1, 1971). *

But that section is exactly the same in wording as when originally written by George Mason and enacted by resolution in the Virginia Convention on May 15, 1776 (thirteen years before the United States was invented).

By the way, in your Fourth of July celebrations, remember it was Virginia that severed its ties to England; the United States was only a gleam in Alexander Hamilton's eye at that time.

Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.