• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

URGENT CHANGE to Va-Alert re VA forest carry regulation comments needed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Even if you posted on the original thread - read this.

First, good work! We are at 926 comments in 16 hours.

Second, we need to change the message so that we can get open carry
considered as a legal means of carrying in State Forests. We need at
least 25 people to request a hearing.

To do that, we need to change the subject and messages to be similar
to these:

Suggested subject: "I support the new regulation, but open carry
needs to be allowed"

Suggested message: "I support the new regulation, but I am asking for
a hearing on allowing for the open carry of handguns State Forests.
That would bring State Forests into compliance with a formal opinion
(08-043) published in September 2008 by the Virginia Attorney General."

Here is the link to the comment area again:

http://townhall.virginia.gov/L/ViewStage.cfm?stageid=5042

Yata hey

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot, do we need to specifically request a hearing on open carry in state forests? I did a word find of "open" in the subject blocks and counted 140 subject lines specifically included support for open carry.

Edited to add: Both my original comment and subject line discuss changing rules to allow for open carry as well as concealed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Grapeshot, do we need to specifically request a hearing on open carry in state forests? I did a word find of "open" in the subject blocks and counted 140 subject lines specifically included support for open carry.

Edited to add: Both my original comment and subject line discuss changing rules to allow for open carry as well as concealed.
According to the way I read the Va-Alert, yes a hearing needs to be specifically requested by a minimum of 25 people.

Of course loading them up wouldn't hurt either. :D

Yata hey

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
jmelvin wrote:

According to the way I read the Va-Alert, yes a hearing needs to be specifically requested by a minimum of 25 people.

Of course loading them up wouldn't hurt either. :D

Yata hey
Could a proposal not also be put forward to allow open carry in State Parks as well? Might as well go all the way. ;)

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It kind of bothers me to ask for an administrative regulation specifically to allow something that the Virginia Constitution provides as a matter of right.  See Article I, Sect. 13, upon which the 2nd Amend. to the U.S. Const. was based.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

user wrote:
It kind of bothers me to ask for an administrative regulation specifically to allow something that the Virginia Constitution provides as a matter of right. See Article I, Sect. 13, upon which the 2nd Amend. to the U.S. Const. was based.
Um, no. Article I, Sect. 13 was enacted in the 1970s, and has never been construed by a court to mean anything yet.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I suspect that your reasoning for the concept that section 13 was enacted in the 1970's is due to the fact that the entire Constitution was re-enacted with some changes (effective as of July 1, 1971).  

But that section is exactly the same in wording as when originally written by George Mason and enacted by resolution in the Virginia Convention on May 15, 1776 (thirteen years before the United States was invented).

By the way, in your Fourth of July celebrations, remember it was Virginia that severed its ties to England; the United States was only a gleam in Alexander Hamilton's eye at that time.