• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I hope you don't think I'm lazy but...

SA-XD

imported post

Ok, so I was wondering if one of you guys who carries around info on open carry laws to give to citizens of LEOs if you have that stuff saved on your computer, could you maybe email it to me? I would like to carry around info like that if i'm going to OC but I;m not sure what all it should include. I don't want it to be to little info but i don't want to have so much that they won't even read it.

I'm not trying to be lazy, I'm just not sure what to include.

You could even maybe post links of what you included from websites instead of emailing me.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

JM

MarineSgt

imported post

Two of the stickied threads at the top of the Michigan forum are WASH, RINSE, REPEAT and MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE.

The documents are available there for dl.

Welcome to OCDO

FatboyCykes

imported post

MarineSgt wrote:
Two of the stickied threads at the top of the Michigan forum are WASH, RINSE, REPEAT and MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE.

The documents are available there for dl.

Welcome to OCDO
Indeed, also, check some of the other threads, regarding park or city ordinances for examples on letters sent to cities with unenforceable laws/ordinances on their books. They've been written by people much more clever than myself and are a great tool to keep on hand.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MiCPL wrote:
so does everyone or recomend everyone carrying at least one copy of these when they OC?

I try to keep information on me when I OC. I don't every time, but most of the time I do. Not for the rare occasion that I'm stopped by police, but rather for the curious onlookers that I run into.

LEO quite clearly KNOW the law, so they'll have none of it. However, there are many people out there that are quite interested in learning more about their rights. And it's for those people that I keep information on me.

malignity

imported post

SA-XD wrote:
390JOE wrote:
is this something that your looking for, i found it while over watering my brain with information.

http://home.comcast.net/~gosirr/OpenCaryCard.doc
Thank you very much for that. Those are great!

No, they're not.

They say 'safety inspected' firearm, which is bolded and underlined on the sheet. They're outdated. As of January 5(?), 2009, there are no longer Michigan safety inspections. If a cop sees this, and knows this, you're going to get yourself into more of a sticky situation.

Just a thought. :)

DanM

imported post

MiCPL wrote:
so does everyone orrecomend everyonecarrying at least one copy of these when they OC?

I print out small batches of the tri-fold brochure for citizensand always keep 3-4 in my back pocket when OC'ing. I have actually given out three while OC'ing before I could get back to the stash, so I always keep multiple copies on me.

I absolutely recommend carrying these when OC'ing. I always invite the person I'm giving it to to pass it along to people they know who own guns, after they're done reading it. Trying to maximize the word getting out.

390JOE

Laingsburg, for the time right now., Michigan, USA
imported post

malignity wrote:
SA-XD wrote:
390JOE wrote:
is this something that your looking for, i found it while over watering my brain with information.

http://home.comcast.net/~gosirr/OpenCaryCard.doc
Thank you very much for that. Those are great!

No, they're not.

They say 'safety inspected' firearm, which is bolded and underlined on the sheet. They're outdated. As of January 5(?), 2009, there are no longer Michigan safety inspections. If a cop sees this, and knows this, you're going to get yourself into more of a sticky situation.

Just a thought. :)

i didnt see that part, thanks for pointing it out.

Michigander

imported post

I carry a downright cumbersome quantity of paperwork. Granted cops probably know the law, and definitely should. But we have seen with great repetition that police are at times willing to endanger their careers and indeed their very freedom by assaulting us. Because of this, I think it's a good idea to have all the on topic legal information with me that I can think to carry.

This way, if I get severely harassed by an officer, I can video tape that officer refusing to look at my legal info, providing exceptionally damning evidence. It's not that I'm out to get police, but honestly, nothing can be counted on in court, and if an officer criminally infringes on my rights, I want any officer(s) involved prosecuted.

What I think would be good, is to have small "MOC bibles" and by that I mean something similar to those little pocket bibles. All the info you could want, condensed into a small and portable book with an easily referenced layout. There must be some print shops that could do it cheaply.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I carry a downright cumbersome quantity of paperwork. Granted cops probably know the law, and definitely should. But we have seen with great repetition that police are at times willing to endanger their careers and indeed their very freedom by assaulting us. Because of this, I think it's a good idea to have all the on topic legal information with me that I can think to carry.

This way, if I get severely harassed by an officer, I can video tape that officer refusing to look at my legal info, providing exceptionally damning evidence. It's not that I'm out to get police, but honestly, nothing can be counted on in court, and if an officer criminally infringes on my rights, I want any officer(s) involved prosecuted.

What I think would be good, is to have small "MOC bibles" and by that I mean something similar to those little pocket bibles. All the info you could want, condensed into a small and portable book with an easily referenced layout. There must be some print shops that could do it cheaply.

Speaking of...how'd that envelope for your license end up working out? And how much to get my mitts on one?

FatboyCykes

imported post

Sounded like you had a system for it, as in something a little bit higher quality than a piece of paper. I've sen those little envelopes that people get with their debt/credit cards, and thought mebe you printed it up on one of those? I'm not terribly savvy when it comes to making stuff like that, so I was just wondering. ;)

Michigander

imported post

I'm not terribly savvy at formating stuff to be printed off. Per dougwg's suggestion, I asked for help with a new thread a while back with formatting an envelope so it could be printed off, cut out, and taped together, but no one was able to set that up. :uhoh:

Doesn't really make much difference though, because all you have to do is get a piece or paper a little more than twice as long or wide as an ID, and write out by hand what you want on it, then fold it around you ID and CPL if you have one.