• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First semi-negative OC Encounter

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

So I went for my daily evening walk and ended up at Mercerdale Park. I sat down and sipped my Coke and enjoyed watching people throwing balls for their dogs. I was there for at least an hour when I heard a woman's voice behind me;

"What are you doing here?" she said as she rounded to my front.

"Enjoying the park." I replied.

"But you have a gun!" she said with eyes bugging out of her head.

"Yes I do." I answered back.

"Should I call 911?" she exclaimed nervously.

"No Ma'am" I replied "what I am doing is well within the law. In fact, I have a pamphlet here you can read" I said while handing her the pamphlet.

She took it and began reading the front where it quotes the Washington State Constitution "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired."

I explained that the passage was right out of the Washington State Constitution Article 1, section 24 while she opened the pamphlet and began perusing the RCWs. All the while, her silent dog walking friend was standing behind her staring at me as if I was Satanor nude.

The woman then asked "Are you an undercover cop?"

"No ma'am" I replied "Wouldn't be very good at my job if I were."

The woman then handed back the pamphlet to me and mumbled to her friend "... has a gun in a kiddie park... what's the purpose...." and their voices trailed off as they kept walking around the path in the park.

Well, thinking that went fairly well, I sat there and finished my soda and then proceeded to walk home.

As I exited the park, a Mercer Island Police car drove past me, but didn't slow other than to make a turn onto another road beside the park. I continued walking home and one of the police SUVs the department has here drove slowly on a road parallel to where I was walking for about a minute, and then drove away, never approaching me. The rest of my walk was uneventful.

The way the woman was talking was as if I was Genghis Khan or someone similar... the looks both of them gave me were priceless.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

I thought it was funny that she actually asked me if she should call 911... and I think she ended up calling 911.... but.... she asked me.... very odd. I had a hard time keeping a straight face, but managed to not show any amusement at their discomfort.

Decoligny

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
I thought it was funny that she actually asked me if she should call 911... and I think she ended up calling 911.... but.... she asked me.... very odd. I had a hard time keeping a straight face, but managed to not show any amusement at their discomfort.
I can see it now "Excuse me sir, but are you a serial killer/rapist? :shock: You have a gun, and I now only murderous villians carry guns. :uhoh: Do you think I could borrow your cell phone to call the police on you?"

:lol::lol::lol:

CaptainAttila

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I have to admit I was a little shocked when she asked that.... it was just so weird that I didn't really know what to say... hence... no smart ass comment from me... she really took me by surprise.
I just hate it when that happens!
One of the answers I've rehearsed in my head for that question is "Sure, tell them a tall white male, 53, is openly carrying a pistol in a nice Kramer holster."

FunkTrooper

imported post

I have to admit I was a little shocked when she asked that.... it was just so weird that I didn't really know what to say... hence... no smart ass comment from me... she really took me by surprise.
I'm only a smart ass to certain police officers as a lot of them have made up their mind on who should carry guns every citizen I encounter I'm very polite to.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I'm only a smart ass to certain police officers as a lot of them have made up their mind on who should carry guns every citizen I encounter I'm very polite to.
Yeah, but come on...."Should I call 911?"... what is that if not an invitation to ridicule?

KBCraig

imported post

"Should I call 911?" she exclaimed nervously.
I notice that many similar reports involve someone who confronts the OCer, while concerned that they should be afraid and call the police.

The very fact that they confront you belies the claim that they're scared.