Thread: Looking for advice about a CC gun for my brother

Post imported post

My brother is about to turn 21, and he wants to get his permit and CC. I don't care for CC or smaller guns usually, so this is some what uncharted territory for me.

What I figured I'd do is list the characteristics I think a potential gun should have, and ask for your suggestions. So here is a list of traits I think would be best:

Good reliability.

Not a smaller caliber than .357 in a revolver, or .40 in a semi auto. Bigger calibers are just fine as well.

A good trigger, either a DA/SA, or a smooth and easy to shoot accurately and fast DAO.

No thumb safety preferably, just decock only or perhaps a grip safety. Although, there might be room for an exception.

A barrel length, and frame size and weight of appropriate dimensions for hiding with a slightly over sized shirt and pants, but not so small that it inhibits accuracy potential. It seems this would imply a 3-4" semi auto barrel, or a 2-3" revolver barrel, but I'm open to other ideas.

Utter drop safety is a must. That can't be stressed enough after my CZ52 falling to the ground and shooting me in the leg.

And of course, the lowest price point feasible. Available mags and holsters would be nice too. I would think a price of 200-400 for the gun and at least one mag would be good. He's definitely willing to go used.

I know the common wisdom is that he should pick his own gun out, and there is merit to that, but he asked me specifically to help him, because he doesn't want to have to do the research, and trusts my judgment better than his.

Basically, the point here is to compile a list of good options he can look at at a shop, and go from there. So any gun that fits those parameters that you feel comfortable recommending, please post about it.

Thanks in advance.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Springfield XD40
    It's my CC pistol.

Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I carry an XD45 Compact as one of my CC pieces. 4" barrel and with the 10rd magazine, it's easily concealable. I carry a 13rd magazine as a reload, and it's the same grip length as the pistol that jeeper posted. It'll probably be more than $400 used though.

My buddy has a Ruger SP101 and it's a great conceal carry piece. 5 shots of .357 isn't anything to laugh at.

Post imported post

Have him look at the Sig line of pistols. The operation is very similar to a wheelgun and they are very safe guns with DA/SA and a decocker. I'd suggest a P245, which is a hair bigger than the P6 and chambered for the .45 auto. I carry a P6 and it's really easy to hide under a loose T-Shirt, due to it's small size and single stack mag. The P245 is also a single stack with a capacity of 6-8 rounds depending on which magazine you are using. The go for around $500 to $600 on Gunbroker.

Post imported post

It doesn't have to be a compact to CC. I carry a Ruger P90 concealed and its a large framed handgun. he needs to go out and shoot a couple of different calibers and styles and find the one that he feals comfertalbe with.
    Ad maiorem Dei gloriam Ducimus Doctrinas bello aptare n umbra, igitur, pugnabimus Citius, altius, fortius Pro patria Semper paratus Semper fidelis. Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Post imported post

He definitely doesn't want to spend the money to get a Sig. Believe me, they are my first choice in autos. My carry gun is a P220.

I know that you can hide a larger gun, plenty of people do it. But he doesn't feel like doing that.

I like the XD idea, although it's likely he won't get one unless he can find a cheaper used one.

I also like the Bersa idea. I was unaware that they made one in .45. That's pretty cool.

The SP101 looks nice as well, although I'm not sure how good of a deal will be available. I was thinking that pretty much any wheelie with the desired dimensions made by Smith and Wesson or Ruger would probably be a good buy, since they are known for durable and reliable revolvers.

Thanks for the suggestions do far, please keep them coming.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I like my Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro., 10+1 .45ACP, very light, easy to carry and shoot, and much more accurate than you might expect. Mine has been very reliable but I only have maybe 500 rounds through it so the jury is still out.

This pistol has a poor reputation in some circles. I think Taurus had QC issues with early models, the guns manufactured within the past year seem to be much better. You might want to be careful if you buy one used (field strip and inspect the interior of the slide, reject any with rough milling). You can find them new for about $340 for blue, $370 for SS, I feel this is a lot of bang for the buck.

Post imported post

I've seen used sp101s in my are going for $375.

Post imported post

Try Glock 27.

Post imported post

Just curious, but why not look at 9mm or even .39Spcl?

I know that you had an incident with 9x18, but that shouldn't turn you off the above rounds for SD. People have had similar results with .40 S&W, and .45.

The effectiveness of a FMJ 9x18 is a far cry different than a 9mm Gold Dot, or DPX.

If he is on a budget, 9mm FMJ is cheaper than .40.

That said, if he's patient, he should find a Glock 27 for around $400.

Someone has a Glock 33 in the Grand Rapids Press for $400 with a Desantis waist band holster, 2 boxes of ammo. That gun will take the barrel from a .40 Glock so he can shoot .40 out of it when he finds the money for the barrel. It will also shoot 9mm if he wants to get a conversion barrel.

Bersa is also a good choice, and check CDNN for bargins.

Post imported post

The round I got hit by was actually a x25, but that's kinda beside the point since that is a ****** choice for SD to begin with.

Anyway, about 9mm or .38, it's all about stopping power. Although my negligent discharge that shot me made me definitely understand better that it's all about shot placement, I still believe in having the biggest round you can reasonably carry. Although I don't like the trigger on a Glock, it seems to me that you can't go wrong with a Glock as a carry gun if you get a good holster so the trigger doesn't accidentally get pulled. A used 27 has definitely been added to the list of possibilities, as has that Taurus if a good deal on one pops up.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    The round I got hit by was actually a x25, but that's kinda beside the point since that is a @#$%ty choice for SD to begin with.

Anyway, about 9mm or .38, it's all about stopping power. Although my negligent discharge that shot me made me definitely understand better that it's all about shot placement, I still believe in having the biggest round you can reasonably carry. Although I don't like the trigger on a Glock, it seems to me that you can't go wrong with a Glock as a carry gun if you get a good holster so the trigger doesn't accidentally get pulled. A used 27 has definitely been added to the list of possibilities, as has that Taurus if a good deal on one pops up.
    Whatever floats your boat.

You might be interested in this:
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=458749

Post imported post

I carry a Glock 21 and have no problem OC or CC......Problem solved.

Post imported post

ghostrider wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    The round I got hit by was actually a x25, but that's kinda beside the point since that is a @#$%ty choice for SD to begin with.

Whatever floats your boat.

You might be interested in this:
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=458749

He didn't die 'cause the .45 was shot out of a Glock :P

I jest of course

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Since it appears that there are three primary considerations here (price, size, and caliber), I'll submit the following.

P40 Kel-Tec. This is a DAO shielded hammer fired pistol which is quite inexpensive but a serious contender.

Glock 23. One well-know writer in the gun culture believes this gun to be the best combat defensive sidearm you can carry. I have two, one of which is my primary carry piece.

XD40. Again, not expensive (I paid $419.99 at a gun show), but a fine carry gun though for me the G23 is better in every respect.

K40 Kahr. Expensive but perhaps one of the finest examples of a true DAO pistol.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
    Springfield XD40
    It's my CC pistol.
    Is that weapon being pointed at your cat?
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

No. The cat was actually several inches closer to me than the pistol.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:
    Is that weapon being pointed at your cat?
    Obviously, it is his girlfriend's cat!

Post imported post

It is one of two cats that I inherited when my brother died, who had inherited them when our mother died.

Post imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
    It is one of two cats that I inherited when my brother died, who had inherited them when our mother died.
    No offense intended. Sorry for omitting the , and even sorrier for your losses.

Back to lame attempts at humor...with the tag on the gun I can see this pic showing up on a t-shirt with the caption "Buy this pistol or the cat gets it!"

Post imported post

I took your comment as humor.

Post imported post

architect wrote:
    I like my Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro., 10+1 .45ACP, very light, easy to carry and shoot, and much more accurate than you might expect. Mine has been very reliable but I only have maybe 500 rounds through it so the jury is still out.

This pistol has a poor reputation in some circles. I think Taurus had QC issues with early models, the guns manufactured within the past year seem to be much better. You might want to be careful if you buy one used (field strip and inspect the interior of the slide, reject any with rough milling). You can find them new for about $340 for blue, $370 for SS, I feel this is a lot of bang for the buck.
    What he said....excellent choice.