• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LoUiSiAna state soverignty act PASSED!

oldgoat

imported post

SCR2 - 2009 Regular SessionAuthor: CROWEStatus:
PASSED THE HOUSE
[size="-2"]Updated: 6/24/2009[/size]
Summary: CONGRESS: Memorializes Congress to affirm Louisiana's sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America and to demand that the federal government halt its practices of assuming powers and imposing mandates upon the states for purposes not enumerated by the Constitution of the United States of America.DateChamberPageAction06/24/2009S
Received from the House without amendments.06/24/2009H
Read by title, concurred in by vote of 61 yeas, 11 nays.06/24/2009H
Called from the calendar.06/24/2009H
Read by title, returned to the calendar.06/03/2009H8Read by title, passed to 3rd reading.06/02/2009H36Reported favorably (11-0).05/13/2009H3Read by title, under the rules, referred to the Committee on House and Governmental Affairs.05/12/2009H2Received in the House from the Senate.05/11/2009S11Read by title, adopted by the vote of 32 yeas and 0 nays and ordered to the House.05/06/2009S11Reported favorably.04/27/2009S34Introduced in the Senate; read by title. Rules suspended. Read second time and referred to the committee on Senate and Governmental Affairs.04/02/2009S
Prefiled.

david.ross

imported post

Even though I'm happy about the bill. The state of Louisiana has proven to have religious nutters who refuse science.

The geek in me chuckles...
They passed a bill back in 08 requiring schools to teach religion, as in "God created everything." aka. Creationism/Intelligent(Religion) Design.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2719223520080627

Let's just forget the cradle of human life was found to be south Africa, not China. Let's throw out factual carbon dating which shows the age of our planet, findings of objects like the 35000 year old flute, and other scientific findings.

Let's all just believe the Earth is 4000 years old... humans lives with dinosaurs(wtf? displayed in the moron design museum). Who the hell spends 27 million on a large dinosaur for a museum on creationism. Speaking about who is costing more money in one of the other threads, I'd have to say religion this time for the people of Louisiana.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Even though I'm happy about the bill. The state of Louisiana has proven to have religious nutters who refuse science.

The geek in me chuckles...
They passed a bill back in 08 requiring schools to teach religion, as in "God created everything." aka. Creationism/Intelligent(Religion) Design.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2719223520080627

Let's just forget the cradle of human life was found to be south Africa, not China. Let's throw out factual carbon dating which shows the age of our planet, findings of objects like the 35000 year old flute, and other scientific findings.

Let's all just believe the Earth is 4000 years old... humans lives with dinosaurs(wtf? displayed in the moron design museum). Who the hell spends 27 million on a large dinosaur for a museum on creationism. Speaking about who is costing more money in one of the other threads, I'd have to say religion this time for the people of Louisiana.
So what you're saying is that only freedom and liberty you agree with is acceptable. Just like only speech that agrees with your views is acceptable?

I keep reminding people that Liberty is difficult because you have to allow for everyone to express their liberty.

If they taught both Darwinism and creationism in their schools... that's a choice the people of that State made to express liberty. As long as they didn't teach it and exclude Darwinism... I think its fine. I for one do not believe in creationism, however, creationism does not teach that the Earth is only 4000 years old... that is one of the canards used by those who hate religion. The "Earth is only 4000 years old" story was told by one particular sect and did not reflect the greater body of creationist views. Intelligent designers are probably the greatest lot.

But as I said before, allowing for Freedom and Liberty means allowing for people to do things you disagree with.

That being said... the problem isn't creationism or Darwinism... the problem is State run schools that children are forced to go to that cause the argument in the first place... if all schools were private, you could chose to send your kids to a school that did not teach creationism. Its all about freedom... and the State controlling education is about as anti-freedom as you can get.

david.ross

imported post

I use the 4000 years old expression lightly. I realize there is more of a time span. However creationists don't believe the earth is millions years old.

http://www.creationists.org/dinosaurs-humans-coexisted.html

Might as well believe in Jules Verne :quirky

I do agree about states running schools. Schools here aren't allowed to cover specifics of sex education. Minimal sex education required. The family planning places all over the state complain about not being able to go more on how to prevent pregnancy.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
I use the 4000 years old expression lightly. I realize there is more of a time span. However creationists don't believe the earth is millions years old.

http://www.creationists.org/dinosaurs-humans-coexisted.html

Might as well believe in Jules Verne :quirky
You are welcome to your beliefs... and I think that your real beef is with State controlled education that can force topics on children the parents may not agree with. Am I right?

david.ross

imported post

Not so much as topics, but factual information. Like I said, they might as well teach Jules Verne for history class if they're going to teach Creationism/Religious/Intelligent Design.

Tawnos

imported post

both-theories.jpg

teachcotnroversy.jpg

WheelGun

imported post

How can the brave and highly justified actions of the State of Louisiana (the throwing off of Federal mandates) be belittled because of another, unrelatedcontroversy (science/creationism) that also exists within that state?

I live in a conservative, rural area ofa state only about four hours drive from one of the largest left-wing population centers on the planet. I know that when they visitmy area on vacation, they make fun of us here, not only for openly carried firearms, but for the prevalence of churches and other houses of worship.

They also make fun of our economic status, our rusty cars, and our worn-out shoes. But they come here to relax, breathe clean air and feel safe.

Not the other way around.

The people of Louisiana deserve our respect. So what they don't teach Darwin as if it were it's own religion. I know many public school teachers who secretly disagree with Darwin, they just don't admit it.

david.ross

imported post

No, they don't.

Teaching non-scientific information is no better than how the PETA goes in to schools attempting to lure in susceptible children to believe humans are supposed to be vegetarians. Even though humans can't digest cellulose since they lack the enzymes to digest the compound.

Same can be said for Scientology, which I place right beside Creationism/Relgious/Intelligent Design in regards to actual science.

WheelGun

imported post

The problem with evolution is that according to the rules of scientific research, it is not science. Few of the headlines that come with a high school science fair board (materials, observation, conclusion) can be answered with Darwinism. It's a scientific theory, not proven science.

Dustin

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
No, they don't.

Teaching non-scientific information is no better than how the PETA goes in to schools attempting to lure in susceptible children to believe humans are supposed to be vegetarians. Even though humans can't digest cellulose since they lack the enzymes to digest the compound.

Same can be said for Scientology, which I place right beside Creationism/Relgious/Intelligent Design in regards to actual science.

#2 from the Forum RULES.

2) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry,firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate substantially to one of these topics, even if your comments pertain mainly to freedom andliberty. OCDO is not a general discussion forum on polticis, religion, the current President, etc. Take that somewhere else!

Go push your evolution religion in another thread. This one is about LOUISIANA State Sovereigntybill.

The people get what the people want in Louisiana. That's called Liberty. MAJORITY WINS.They vote for it, and they act on it. If you don't like it, vote against it, if you stillare not satisfiedGet the hell out!!!

Can we please for once STAY ON TOPIC !

Amazing how hard that is for some folks.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
hahah Townos...

There are actually people in this day and age who believe the world is flat. Some of them are people with degrees in areas like CS, which state it's all a big government conspiracy.

(disbanded in 2001)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society

EDIT: have to make a geek remark... OMGPONIES!
Yeah and some even believe in global warming being caused by humans.

You know, our schools were a lot better in the 50's than they are today. Gee, we had copies of the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and the Ten Commandments hanging our our classroom walls. As we said the Pledge of Allegiance, sang a patriotic song, and read something from the bible or the Jewish book before class. How about that. And in a public school, too. You know, I grew up just fine with no damage to my cranial member at all.

And then came Madalyn Murray and the Supreme Court decision that somehow found something in the Bill of Rights that isn't in there that says we couldn't do what we had been doing. It all changed and a lot of things went downhill from there.

Now I'm not one to try to push my beliefs on others, not do I stand on some soapbox and rant on and on about this and that. But I have seen much in my life and I know the what and why of things and how we have gotten to this point in our history.

Y'all have a good evening.. I'm out.

TehGruu

imported post

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Anyway, free speech is free speech. Congrats to the state of Louisiana! Hopefully Texas will do the same.

jebus2.jpg

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sweet, 2 down, 48 to go....

And if you've ever read Origin of the Species, Darwin makes many of the best arguments against his own theory. Funny how 'scientific' supporters of his theory (and it IS a theory), ignore half of the book. But it does 'explain away' any reason for a human being to act like more than any other animal, and a LOT of people like that...

Tawnos

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Sweet, 2 down, 48 to go....

And if you've ever read Origin of the Species, Darwin makes many of the best arguments against his own theory. Funny how 'scientific' supporters of his theory (and it IS a theory), ignore half of the book. But it does 'explain away' any reason for a human being to act like more than any other animal, and a LOT of people like that...
Gravity is just a theory
gravity.gif

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Congrats Louisiana.

And evolution is a theory with just as many wholes in it as creationism. The fossil record has no proof of evolution the same as there is no proof of a God. The mathmatical probabalities make it also very improbable to the point of impossible.That leaves it a belief system just like the many other religions in the world. And I find many evolutionist to be just as bad as crusaders and inquistadores of Spain. Believe this or you are a heathen. The hate they spew for those who don't believe the same as them is just as wrong as any religous zealot. I am neutral until there is absolute scientific proof of one thing or another who know the answers if they ever are found might surprise both sides of this volitile issue.

Until then I agree with Washington for Liberty's veiwpoint. It should not be up to the state what our children learn. This idea scares many propagandist.