Thread: Talked to a sheriff

Post imported post

I talked to former Sheriff William Earl today. He is the former sheriff of rapides parish and I had a chance to ask him about open carry. He said that, in his opinion, it is ok in the home/car/workplace but if everyone on the street decided to open carry without a permit we would be back in the wild west. I kind of agree with him, and kind of disagree. I feel it might not be needed to open carry 100% of the time all the time, but when in a risky situation, open carry is a great option. He said, "You can legally do it, but I doubt many deputies will let you get away with it."

Post imported post

biggin215 wrote:
    I talked to former Sheriff William Earl today. He is the former sheriff of rapides parish and I had a chance to ask him about open carry. He said that, in his opinion, it is ok in the home/car/workplace but if everyone on the street decided to open carry without a permit we would be back in the wild west. I kind of agree with him, and kind of disagree. I feel it might not be needed to open carry 100% of the time all the time, but when in a risky situation, open carry is a great option. He said, "You can legally do it, but I doubt many deputies will let you get away with it."
    Okay, it's legal, but you won't get away with it...that makes a WHOLE lot of sense...

And when can you schedule a risky situation or when your going to be a victim of a crime?

Post imported post

It's a good thing he's a former sheriff. The sad thing is that the current sheriff probably feels the same way.

And they'd both be wrong.

Neither can cite any law forbidding OC, no matter how they might personally feel about it, because no such law exists.

Post imported post

The last time I passed through Rapides Parish, my co-worker was driving, got lost, and took us on the --ahem-- "scenic" route through Alexandria.

After about the fourth hairy eyeball at a stop sign in the slums, he asked how much ammo I was carrying.

Not "if" (and we hadn't discussed guns before this point), just how much ammo.

I had 24 rounds of .45 ACP and 16 rounds of 9mm Makarov all on my body, and 50 more rounds of .45 in my suitcase. He had a GP-100 plus three speedloaders, and a bag of loose ammo under the seat.

Even in Ellic, I think we'd have been able to hold our ground for a minute or two.

Post imported post

Believe me, I know those parts and know damn well to stay outta them. You, sir, are a lucky one. I'm assuming it was day time?

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    The last time I passed through Rapides Parish, my co-worker was driving, got lost, and took us on the --ahem-- "scenic" route through Alexandria.

After about the fourth hairy eyeball at a stop sign in the slums, he asked how much ammo I was carrying.

Not "if" (and we hadn't discussed guns before this point), just how much ammo.

I had 24 rounds of .45 ACP and 16 rounds of 9mm Makarov all on my body, and 50 more rounds of .45 in my suitcase. He had a GP-100 plus three speedloaders, and a bag of loose ammo under the seat.

Even in Ellic, I think we'd have been able to hold our ground for a minute or two.
    I've done that. Somehow I was on a traffic circle one minute and in the hood the next. There were literally guys with 40 ozs sitting on front porches. I think it was S. Alexandria. Nothing bad happened but I did get some looks.

What the Sheriff says is true, especially about public perception of OC. Most people when you mention OC picture the Wild West and violent times.

I agree with the OP about OCing part time.
    The "let you get away with it" might be wrong but most times it is best to respect the LEO and give them the benefit of the doubt. Even if you are right you still win a nice ride in a police car and some time spent in a place you don't want to be. I hate to say pick your battles when you are right, but sometimes wisdom dictates.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

biggin215 wrote:
    By asking him his opinion you ceded power to him to even have an opinion on the issue - better to ask him about some non-gun issue while you are open carrying.