Thread: Need Info for CCW in Cali.

Post imported post

Hi folks,

I'm considering a job in Colusa, CA. I realize that open carry in the Arizona mode or Utah mode is out of the question.

Since Cal. is a "may issue state" how difficult is it to get a CC permit in Cal. I was born a raised in Cal, but left in 82 and shook the dust of the Golden State from my boot heels (I thought for good).

Anyhow, I'm looking for some up to date feed back from folks that have recieved a CC permit or are in the process.

Thanks,

Steve
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

Colusa County looks like it isn't one of the counties that is close to being shall issue:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-...-issuance.html

Post imported post

Thanks for the response bigtoe416.

If I except the position I could live in one of the shall issue counties bordering Colusa if they will not issue a permit.

What is considered a good reason for a cc permit in Cal.

Thanks for the response.

Steve
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Post imported post

.45acp wrote:
    Usually, being a large donor to the sheriff's re-election campaign, or his brother-in-law, or a big sports name or actor does the trick.

"Good cause" is the $64,000 question (sadly) and self defense or preservation doesn't cut it (in and of itself).

All cynicism aside, a job that requires you to carry large sums of money or other high-dollar exposure employment, or documented threats to your person will sometimes be sufficient. I have a buddy who drives a Snap-On tools truck. It seems that driving a "swat-van" full of high-dollar tools is sufficient to his sheriff's idea of good cause.

Here in Sacramento county we have a whopping 260 or so CCWs in a county of approximately 400,000. They are rare, indeed.

Best of luck to you!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

I'd check one of the california ccw speicifc sites and ask around. They're the experts on the subject and know what flies as far as valid "good cause" goes.

http://californiaccw.org/forums/list.page
    http://calccw.com/Forums/

State Researcher

Post imported post

.45acp wrote:
    That is 100% arbitrarily decided by the bureaucrat in charge of CCW licensing for that jurisdiction.

In some counties, "becuase I want one" is good cause. In others, it takes your third trip to the hospital before they believe your life is in danger. In other counties, they simply don't issue no matter what (except for celebs, relatives, employees, etc).

We're in the process of challanging this arbitrary issuance, but a win is probably years down the road.

Now for the good news:

Locked, Unloaded, Concealed Carry is generally legal, and definitely better than nothing. (I'm being lazy today, so I won't be providing a link... sorry. Just go to CalGuns.net and search for LUCC - that should bring it up.)
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.