• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun at a professional sporting event?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Off-Duty Cop Shoots 2 in Stadium Lot
AP

posted: 2 HOURS 3 MINUTES AGO
comments: 167
filed under: Crime News, National News

ANAHEIM, Calif. (June 25) - An off-duty police officer shot and wounded two men who had assaulted him in the crowded Angel Stadium parking lot after Wednesday night's Colorado Rockies-Los Angeles Angels game, authorities said.
The officer, who was walking to his car with his wife and two small children about 25 minutes after the game, was hit in the head with a bottle or club, police Sgt. Tim Schmidt said. "We think he was the victim of a crime," Schmidt said.

The off-duty officer then shot the men with his duty weapon, Schmidt said. Police did not immediately identify the officer or the shooting victims.
One man was shot in the head and was in critical condition, the other was shot in the upper arm and in serious but stable condition. The officer also had a serious head wound. All three were taken to hospitals.
No one else in the parking lot was hurt, Schmidt said.
The Orange County District Attorney's office joined the Anaheim Police department in investigating the incident, which is required in officer-involved shootings.
The Angels had beaten the Rockies 11-3 earlier in the evening.
Rachel Cordova was among the startled and confused fans in the parking lot.
"We heard three shots and turned around and I thought, 'Those are gun shots,'" Cordova told KNX radio. "One of the guys I was with said 'No, it's not' but then we heard sirens."
Cordova said she then walked toward the scene.
"I left there and saw a young, maybe 20-year-old male laying on the ground without his shirt, and they were attending to him," she said.

Riana

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Not too bad. Get hit hard in the head and still get off three shots, at least two of which hit the mark..... I wonder if he was OC or CCing...
In California, I'd think CCing would be more likely, given their draconian OC rules. Yes, I know he was a cop, but I bet OC would still be a hassle for him.

ProShooter

imported post

I remember years ago when I was a Deputy. I went to a Giants/Redskins game at Fed Ex Field. We were leaving and watched a disgruntled 20 something Skins fan run up and punch some old man (Giants fan) right in the head. A small melee of about 20 people ensued. It was a mess. Anything can happen at these sporting events.

Hendu024

imported post

Hmmm.... Sports rivalries... Drunken fans...

Sounds like a nice combination for stupid #$&@ to happen.

I was going to OC at the Tides/Pawtucket game the other night...

Yet I fell prey to the calling of a frosty adult beverage on a hot and muggy evening... Had to settle with OC'ing a pocketknife.

Maybe next time I'll be stronger-willed. Wish me luck. :p

ProShooter

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:

Yet I fell prey to the calling of a frosty adult beverage on a hot and muggy evening... Had to settle with OC'ing a pocketknife.

I OC'd a few months ago at Harbor Park....no problems.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:

Let's keep in mind the Hampton Coliseum, Scope and our very own Diamond.

Yata hey

USNA69

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Speaking of Harbor Park ...

... several posts on other threads have established that Harbor Park is owned by the City of Norfolk and leased to the Norfolk Tides organization, so preemption applies. It has also been established that CC is permitted despite beer sales at the concessions, as HP is not a restaurant or club.

That brings us to "Hits At The Park", which is the restaurant wholly contained within Harbor Park at the end of the first base concourse. Now we have a restaurant selling alcoholic beverages (currently no CC permitted, until the Gov signs the bill and the effective date is reached) located within public property (preemption; CC permitted).

Any legal types wish to take a stab at this one?

ProShooter

imported post

USNA69 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Speaking of Harbor Park ...

... several posts on other threads have established that Harbor Park is owned by the City of Norfolk and leased to the Norfolk Tides organization, so preemption applies. It has also been established that CC is permitted despite beer sales at the concessions, as HP is not a restaurant or club.

That brings us to "Hits At The Park", which is the restaurant wholly contained within Harbor Park at the end of the first base concourse. Now we have a restaurant selling alcoholic beverages (currently no CC permitted, until the Gov signs the bill and the effective date is reached) located within public property (preemption; CC permitted).

Any legal types wish to take a stab at this one?
I dont think that a stab is necessary. It would seem that OC/CC are fine withing the confines of the park EXCEPT inside the restaurant, where only OC is permitted until July 1.

wylde007

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I don't think that a stab is necessary. It would seem that OC/CC are fine withing the confines of the park EXCEPT inside the restaurant, where only OC is permitted until July 1.
Is that the same as the case with Waterside Marketplace?

Well, sort of... I never followed the verdict 100%. Can the independent businesses inside the marketplace prohibit firearms (like Bar Norfolk, etc) but carry within the public areas is covered by preemption or does the underlying fee ownership (City of Norfolk) trump the lessee?

And, that being the case, if the restaurant is owned by someone else, even if the property on which the building is upon is owned by Norfolk, could they prohibit carry?

Dreamer

imported post

I went to a few O's games when I lived in that area, and I wish I could carry at the "yards". It's a beautiful stadium, has a really interesting selection of food vendors, and every seat in the house is a good seat. I would love to take my daughters and son in law to a few games, but I refuse to spend ANY money in MD if I can avoid it.

The only drawback to Camden Yards is that it is in "Bulletmore" in the state of "Murderland". I would love to support the Orioles, and take my family to some baseball games at such a nice facility, but until MD will allow me to carry, I refuse to spend my money at ANY businesses in MD unless it it absolutely necessary.

And have you ever seen the neighborhood that the Yards are located in? That part of town puts the "hood" in neighborhood. I wouldn't want to walk one block down there after dark without SOMETHING on my hip or in my pocket...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I don't think that a stab is necessary. It would seem that OC/CC are fine withing the confines of the park EXCEPT inside the restaurant, where only OC is permitted until July 1.
Is that the same as the case with Waterside Marketplace?

Well, sort of... I never followed the verdict 100%. Can the independent businesses inside the marketplace prohibit firearms (like Bar Norfolk, etc) but carry within the public areas is covered by preemption or does the underlying fee ownership (City of Norfolk) trump the lessee?

And, that being the case, if the restaurant is owned by someone else, even if the property on which the building is upon is owned by Norfolk, could they prohibit carry?
Common areas are covered under preemption - privately owned businesses set their own policies - much like you would inside your own apartment that was part of a City Housing Authority.

Another example is the Richmond Coliseum neither the City nor their agent/managers may prohibit guns - but a soon as a venue/event sponsor leases the space, they make the rules for their event.

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Common areas are covered under preemption - privately owned businesses set their own policies - much like you would inside your own apartment that was part of a City Housing Authority.
This is how I understood it, but was not 100% sure.

So they can't prohibit you from carrying in the "mall" but independent lessees (the business) can prohibit in their stores/restaurants... theoretically.

I understand Hooters does not. :monkey