• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sooo...NOT happpy. Utah permit no longer valid in Nevada??

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Is this true?

Does anyone know anything about this?

From what I understand Utah permits ALONG with Florida pernits will no longer be valid in Nevada as of JULY 1st 2009.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR UTAH CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT HOLDERS- NO MORE NEVADA CARRY!

Nevada authorities have decided that Utah Concealed Weapon Permits will NOT, repeat NOT, be recognized in Nevada effective July 1, 2009.

Even though Nevada has recognized Utah permits for several years, they recently reviewed permits from all states and decided that they will no longer recognize permits from Utah or Florida. The excuses given are that Nevada law requires the other states permit requirements to be “substantially similar to” those of Nevada. However, since Utah does not require live fire to get a permit, Nevada will not longer recognize our permit. Florida permits are good for seven years, but Nevada permits are only good for five years, providing the excuse for dropping Florida.

The people involved with Nevada permits seem to include a few powerful members of the law enforcement community who are hostile to private citizens self defense rights.

Utah Shooting Sports Council and the National Rifle Association will continue to pursue actions to restore recognition of Utah permits by Nevada, but it may take several years and changes to the Nevada laws.

Meanwhile, DO NOT CARRY IN NEVADA with a Utah Concealed Weapons Permit!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR UTAH CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT HOLDERS- NO MORE NEVADA CARRY!

Nevada authorities have decided that Utah Concealed Weapon Permits will NOT, repeat NOT, be recognized in Nevada effective July 1, 2009.

Even though Nevada has recognized Utah permits for several years, they recently reviewed permits from all states and decided that they will no longer recognize permits from Utah or Florida. The excuses given are that Nevada law requires the other states permit requirements to be “substantially similar to” those of Nevada. However, since Utah does not require live fire to get a permit, Nevada will not longer recognize our permit. Florida permits are good for seven years, but Nevada permits are only good for five years, providing the excuse for dropping Florida.

The people involved with Nevada permits seem to include a few powerful members of the law enforcement community who are hostile to private citizens self defense rights.

Utah Shooting Sports Council and the National Rifle Association will continue to pursue actions to restore recognition of Utah permits by Nevada, but it may take several years and changes to the Nevada laws.

Meanwhile, DO NOT CARRY IN NEVADA with a Utah Concealed Weapons Permit!

rpyne

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
This set back was Thanks to NRA
Please elaborate. I don't doubt it at all, but would like enough information to pass the word about NRA negotiating rights away.

Outsider

imported post

Yes, please explain, TJ.

UPDATE:

I just called Nevada Department of Public Safety and talked to a lady by the name of Guinevere (like King Arther's wife) that deals with reciprocity with other states. She said they are not releasing an official statement but on July 1st the website would be updated to reflect upcoming changes. She said to check the website on July 1st for those changes.

Nevada Webpage: http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/Special/CCW_CHANGE.shtml

Outsider

imported post

The NRA-ILA update came in the e-mail today:

Nevada Will No Longer Recognize Utah and Florida Right-to-Carry Permits

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Effective, July 1, Nevada will no longer recognize Right-to-Carry permits from Utah or Florida. They have, however, added Ohio and West Virginia as recognized states.

Each May, the Nevada Department of Public Safety conducts an audit of states and their Right-to-Carry laws for the purpose of determining which states it will recognize.

The Nevada DPS dropped Utah because it does not have a live fire requirement, which is a part of Nevada's training requirements. When the Nevada DPS first began its state by state audit of Right-to-Carry laws in 2007, DPS admitted to NRA representatives that they overlooked the live fire training requirement. After further review, they determined that Utah wasn't similar enough to keep it on the list of recognized states.

Florida will no longer be recognized because its permits are now valid for seven years instead of five.

The Nevada DPS and the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs will be hosting their annual Right-to-Carry forum in Carson City in August with a teleconference feed to Las Vegas. We encourage all members to attend this informational meeting. Details will be forthcoming.

Please continue checking your email and www.NRAILA.org for updates.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5001

TommyJ1912

imported post

This change could not come at a worse time for me. I'll be visiting Las Vegas in July and just received my permit from FL (still waiting on my UT permit for the last 3.5 months). I was hoping to be covered by the UT/FL permits while I'm there since NV will not honor my AZ permit.
:cuss:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, inexpensive NV CCW class in the Clark County area? This now appears to be my only option since NV no longer recognizes ANY permits from states that issue to non-residents...

AnakinsKid

imported post

TommyJ1912 wrote:
This change could not come at a worse time for me. I'll be visiting Las Vegas in July and just received my permit from FL (still waiting on my UT permit for the last 3.5 months). I was hoping to be covered by the UT/FL permits while I'm there since NV will not honor my AZ permit.
:cuss:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, inexpensive NV CCW class in the Clark County area? This now appears to be my only option since NV no longer recognizes ANY permits from states that issue to non-residents...
I did mine with Bargain Pawn last year. Cost was $60, plus $10 in range fees (they use Bass Pro Shops' range). Unfortunately, the class and range parts were on different days, so that might not be too good if you're just here for the weekend.

Kurt Gepke over at NevadaShooters.com does classes in the Las Vegas area. He's got a bit of a following from his students. They're organizing a group to take his class to renew their permits. I don't know what he charges, but you can ask. Feel free to register (we don't mind if you don't live in NV) and ask some questions.

Here's where they are organizing right now: http://nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=4009

You can ask if the renewal class is good for getting the CCW the first time, or if he's got another class planned for the near future.

Mods and Admins: If it's not ok to recommend or link other boards like this, I apologize. I just want to help direct him to a useful resource.

scorpioajr

imported post

Does NV offer out of state permits for non-residents?? I'm going to be traveling to Nevada in the next couple of month and wouldn't mind hitting up a CFP class, with the live fire, of course...:?

Can't believe they don't honor UT or FL permits anymore...wow.

rpyne

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
Does NV offer out of state permits for non-residents?? I'm going to be traveling to Nevada in the next couple of month and wouldn't mind hitting up a CFP class, with the live fire, of course...:?

Yes, Nevada does offer out of state permits. Why do really think they made this change? In reality, it was to generate more revenue through their out of state permits.

Do you really want to feed their greed?

irish

imported post

Florida & Utah are no longer listed. http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml

Out of State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition

Effective Oct 1, 2007

In accordance with NRS 202.3689 the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan (added May 9, 2008)
Missouri
Nebraska
Ohio (added July 1, 2009)
Tennessee
West Virginia (added July 1, 2009)

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm.

CCW Prohibited Locations defined by NRS 202.3673

Utah no longer lists Nevada: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

Florida no longer accepts Nevada either: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

From FL website: This list was last updated on July 1, 2009, when the State of Nevada was removed from the reciprocity list. Authorities in Nevada notified the Division of Licensing that as of that date, Nevada would no longer honor Florida concealed weapon licenses. Therefore, in accordance with the reciprocity provision set forth in section 790.015, Florida Statutes, Florida could no longer honor concealed weapon licenses issued by the State of Nevada.

scorpioajr

imported post

rpyne wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

Yes, Nevada does offer out of state permits. Why do really think they made this change? In reality, it was to generate more revenue through their out of state permits.

Do you really want to feed their greed?
I don't' want to feed anyone anything. but that still leaves me unable to CC in NV. I travel to NV frequently (Friends and family) and I need to be able to carry my gun. I would be happy to OC, but when i go out of state CCing seems practical. I am not familiar with the justice systems of other states, lawyers, etc.

I won't be HAPPY to HAVE to get a NV CFP, but i remain bound by the confines of the laws, and will not CC illegally. That's all.

Pace

imported post

Mind you, I can understand the reasoning behind this, although I'm not in agreement with the whole licensing system in general. But if you are going to have licensing for guns, no live fire?

Aint this an Open Carry Forum?

irish

imported post

Here we go again Pace ;)

I like people having more training as well and hope that people seek it out. Should we all get licensed for driving in different states? I look at this as a 2nd Amendment issue and a right to defend one's self no matter where they are at in the United States of America. There should beno conditions on a Constitutional right.

Many may not agree but I think most concealed carry laws that require someone to pay money are nothing but a tax for honest people. I believe the typical criminal neither pays their tax for their permit nor do they take any safety courses. Vermont & Alaska are light years ahead of any other state.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefore." -Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 US 105, US Supreme Court, 1943

Why not have something similar to H.R. 218 for non-police CC permit holders?

Pace

imported post

I said that I do not agree with licensing in general, but if they are going to do it.

Playing devils advocate here: having a weapon and carrying it may allowed but concealing it might not be under the 2nd. Ie, you can carry one, but there are restrictions on how?

personally, I think the whole thing is silly. Somehow carrying a gun concealed you need more skills than otherwise? Silly..silly..silly.