• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defensive Display and Restaurant Carry Bills Moving.

Dahwg

imported post

This just in from AZCDL:

This morning (6/25/09) the House Judiciary Committee passed both SB 1113 (Restaurant Carry) and SB 1243 (Defensive Display) out of committee.

SB 1113, the Restaurant Carry bill, passed by a vote of 6 to 2. It was amended in committee. The following summarizes key provisions in the current version of the bill:
- "Open carry" is not allowed. The firearm must be concealed.
- Only individuals with CCW permits may carry a concealed firearm where alcohol is served.
- The individual legally carrying the firearm may not consume alcohol.
- The requirement that the establishment serve food has been removed.
- The penalty for violating the law is a class 3 misdemeanor.
- Establishments may prohibit firearms by posting a sign in a specified location.
- It is an "affirmative defense" if the person violating the law "was not informed of the notice," the sign had "fallen down," the person is not a resident of Arizona, or the posted sign has not been up for 30 days.
- However, lack of knowledge (by Arizona residents only) that firearms are prohibited in establishments serving alcohol is no longer a valid defense.

SB 1243, the AzCDL-requested bill that clarifies when a defensive display is justified, passed by a vote of 5 to 3.

AZkopper

imported post

I'm glad they dropped the food service requirement, but still mystified over the no OC requirement.

How is the server supposed to know if you are armed or not, since you are required to CC. At least if you were required to OC, the servers would know....

oh well, another law for another day...

Dahwg

imported post

I figure when the streets don't run red with blood, they'll drop the requirement for it to be concealed. I can't see how it does anything except keep the sheep from freaking.

azcdlfred

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
still mystified over the no OC requirement.
The original bill did not have the concealed carry or CCW permit-only (less than 2% of the population) requirements. Many concessions were made along the way (it's an NRA backed bill - 'nuff said) toget most of the deep-pocket opponents to go "neutral" on it.

Fred

azcdlfred

imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
Do we know when it is likely for Brewer to sign or not sign? Like what kind of time frame is usually involved? Days? Weeks? Months?

The Governor has 10 work days after the session ends to make up her mind to veto the bill. She can sign it before then. If she ignores and does not veto, it will become law about 90 days later http://www.azleg.gov/alisPDFs/hbillaw.pdf.

These bills (SB 1168, SB 1113, SB 1243 and SB 1449) stand a godd chance of not being vetoed.

Fred