• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting NC beaches from VA

riverrat10k

imported post

So will be going down sometime during high hurricane season. My understanding is that Pea Island Wildlife Refuge and Cape Hatteras Nat. Seashore are Federal and no firearms allowed.

How about Duck, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head? Towns on Hatteras Island but not the beach?

NC seems funny compared to VA. I believe y'all have prememption but there still seems to be localities that have their own ordinances.

Thx!

eta: Just read the only other thread I saw in the NC forum. Cape Hatteras is a National Recreation Area I believe. Are rules the same as for a Nat. Park? Sheesh, we really need nationwide preemption. I know Hatteras has been involved in all kind of lawsuits over the vehicular access issue and how environmentalists seem to have won that round despite the fact that the Area was created for recreation.

PT111

imported post

Much of the Outer Banks is a National Seashore which is the same as a National Park and fall under the same jusrisdiction and guidelines. The rest are towns/cities and have the same laws as any other in NC. I believe that the only city in NC that has a local ordinance conceringcarry is Chapel Hill and possibly Cary.

Get out a map and check out the boundaries.

American Patriot

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
So will be going down sometime during high hurricane season. My understanding is that Pea Island Wildlife Refuge and Cape Hatteras Nat. Seashore are Federal and no firearms allowed.

How about Duck, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head? Towns on Hatteras Island but not the beach?

NC seems funny compared to VA. I believe y'all have prememption but there still seems to be localities that have their own ordinances.

Thx!

eta: Just read the only other thread I saw in the NC forum. Cape Hatteras is a National Recreation Area I believe. Are rules the same as for a Nat. Park? Sheesh, we really need nationwide preemption. I know Hatteras has been involved in all kind of lawsuits over the vehicular access issue and how environmentalists seem to have won that round despite the fact that the Area was created for recreation.
If an emergency is declared during the hurricane season it will be unlawful to carry off personal property in NC

riverrat10k

imported post

American Patriot wrote:
If an emergency is declared during the hurricane season it will be unlawful to carry off personal property in NC
Most ridiculous law on the books. If a hurricane comes, I got more to worry about than if my legally carried gun suddenly becomes illegal.

Am still interested about OC, particularly in Duck, KH, and Nags Head. I know the Hatteras beaches are Nat. Park and off-limits.

American Patriot

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
American Patriot wrote:
Most ridiculous law on the books. If a hurricane comes, I got more to worry about than if my legally carried gun suddenly becomes illegal.

Am still interested about OC, particularly in Duck, KH, and Nags Head. I know the Hatteras beaches are Nat. Park and off-limits.
riverrat10k

Gun laws are the same state wide.

We welcome all visitors to NC but we do expect them to obey our laws while here.

Visitors who are not respectful of NC laws make it more difficult for NC citizens to maintain their own freedoms.

Come visit and enjoy your stay but if directed during a hurricane emergency to leave pleasedo so. The residents will be :celebrateand you will be welcome back when the crisis has passed.

HardChrome

imported post

I'm a regular visitor from VA and have shot in Rodanthe. There is a spot on the sound side, next to the trash drop off site, where people shoot. Last time there I brought my AR-a5 and Mini-14 but forgot to bring along the key for the trigger locks. Grrrr. So I shot my Hi-Power instead. Lots of casings and shot gun plastic laying around there.

riverrat10k

imported post

American Patriot wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:
American Patriot wrote:

riverrat10k

We welcome all visitors to NC but we do expect them to obey our laws while here.

Visitors who are not respectful of NC laws make it more difficult for NC citizens to maintain their own freedoms.

Come visit and enjoy your stay but if directed during a hurricane emergency to leave pleasedo so. The residents will be :celebrateand you will be welcome back when the crisis has passed.
Calling a law ridiculous is not advocating breaking it. I have been going to these beaches for over 40 years.

Of course I will evacuate if required. I am always respectful of the law. Why else would I post my original question here? Just feel these laws are silly. I could be out and about legally, emergency is declared, and suddenly I am illegal. Silly!

Rather than beat me up about my feelings concerning the "disarm during states of emergency laws", how about expanding on your comment that there is statewide pre-emption, hopefully with some personal anecdotes about OC'ing on the Outer Banks?

Constructive comments are appreciated.

American Patriot

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
American Patriot wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:
American Patriot wrote:

riverrat10k

Calling a law ridiculous is not advocating breaking it. I have been going to these beaches for over 40 years.

Of course I will evacuate if required. I am always respectful of the law. Why else would I post my original question here? Just feel these laws are silly. I could be out and about legally, emergency is declared, and suddenly I am illegal. Silly!

Rather than beat me up about my feelings concerning the "disarm during states of emergency laws", how about expanding on your comment that there is statewide pre-emption, hopefully with some personal anecdotes about OC'ing on the Outer Banks?

Constructive comments are appreciated.

Now riverrat10k, I made it a point to make my comments positive, i.e"we welcome all visitors" "come visit and enjoy your stay."And I meant it.

We are a tourist area and have tons of visitors to our area as you are aware. But the sad fact is not all visitors are respectful of our laws and our court record is proof. Just recently one of your residents visiting our area passed a marked patrol car which was in the outside lane, in a 50 MPH zone, and he was running in the inside lane. Just at the moment that he got passed the front bumper of the patrol can he made a fast right turn into a tavern causing the patrol car to hit him totalling both cars. It appears to me that a lot of the visitors forget to be respectful of local laws in their rush to party. That is justone example. Now that is all I have to say about the subject as you have a 40 year history of witnessing what I speak of.

I respect others state laws and do not demean them, should I do so would be to demean the citizens of those states.

Now this was not my post: "Most ridiculous law on the books. If a hurricane comes, I got more to worry about than if my legally carried gun suddenly becomes illegal."

I do not know what more needs to be said about the fact that there is state wide exemption. Itexist.

Peace. :celebratehttp://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

riverrat10k

imported post

Ok, well thanks for link Patriot.

Virginia used to have laws about what my wife and I could do with each other in our bedroom. We broke those laws.

Did not feel I was demeaning myself or anyone else.;)

Agree that the Banks are more crowded and less fun than in years past. Probably due to more traffic from states farther north than VA!

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

American Patriot

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Ok, well thanks for link Patriot.

Virginia used to have laws about what my wife and I could do with each other in our bedroom. We broke those laws.

Did not feel I was demeaning myself or anyone else.;)

Agree that the Banks are more crowded and less fun than in years past. Probably due to more traffic from states farther north than VA!

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

riverrat10k, No problem. No feathers were ruffled. Just an honest appeal to our visitors who read here to help inthe efforts to improve our laws. Violating laws, good or bad, on the books will never convince the law makers to remove them.

There are current efforts to encourage the law makers to repeal some and improve other gun laws.

Fahrenheit

imported post

Statewide Preemption exists in NC. However, it's not absolute. It specifically permits local ordinances that regulate carry on city property, city parks, and open carry on public roads and sidewalks, for example.

Check the local laws first. You don't want to end up going to, for example, Cary, and find out the hard way that you're legal to OC until you decide to walk across or down the sidewalk. Or that you can conceal carry, unless you go into one of the many fine parks that Cary has.

wylde007

imported post

Strange how the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution doesn't apply, at least to the extent of giving the benefit of doubt.

If I should happen to inadvertently violate some NC statute, not particularly through misfeasance or negligence, only ignorance and could prove I'm from Virginia I would hope that any reasonable member of the law enforcement community would prefer to inform and educate rather than pursue prosecution.

Not even lawyers know all the laws. It's because there are too many and they are way too convoluted.

It sure would be a blessed day when an officer notices someone in violation, approached them with respect and calm candor and gave them an opportunity to oblige the law without being punitively penalized for it.

I think that goes for just about anywhere, not just NC (which, for the record I have spent many years on the OBX and have family in Cary, Raleigh, Trenton and Kinston) but this thread just happened to pique my interest, since I will be on Ocracoke in about six hours for a benefit show at Books to be Red (Hwy 12 and Schoolhouse Rd) for the Youth Center.

Fair winds.

American Patriot

imported post

Remember ignorance is no excuse or defensefor violating laws. Enjoy your trip and mayall go well with you.

thompsongunner06

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Much of the Outer Banks is a National Seashore which is the same as a National Park and fall under the same jusrisdiction and guidelines. The rest are towns/cities and have the same laws as any other in NC. I believe that the only city in NC that has a local ordinance conceringcarry is Chapel Hill and possibly Cary.

Get out a map and check out the boundaries.

Not true,,,KDH is a town,,,NH is a town,,KH is a town,,Duck is a town,,,,Not all the beach is Federal. Cochina Beach and any beach area posted and patroled by Park Rangers is Federal.Corolla is also non Federal. Chapel Hill and Cary are not even on the beach.

wylde007

imported post

Well, it turns out I got to have a couple of up-close and personal discussions with the Hyde County (Ocracoke) Sheriff's department.

I decided not to carry at the event for which I was providing sound. I was assaulted. I had to subdue a drunken (supposedly) and outraged "local". When the deputies arrived I asked them about carrying and VA reciprocity.

They said I would have been OK to carry either way based on the event location (private property) and since I had not been drinking.

I wish I'd been carrying, but I'm kinda glad I wasn't. The general consensus was about the same all around.

Anyhow... Nice guys on the island. Always have a good time.