Thread: Competition Shooters

Post imported post

I shoot Bullseye, I.D.P.A. and some steel matches in 3 different clubs I was wondering how many other members also compete here. This is one of my .45 match pistols
    S/F Vic

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I just started shooting IDPA a few months ago. I have a good time at it, although I'm not that good at it.....yet, I hope.

S/F!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

With the scarcity of ammo, I'm surprised that any one still does. I wouldn't mind participating, but ammo prices and availability sort of keep me from it.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I shoot IDPA andUSPSA with my straight-out-of-the-box Taurus PT-1911.

Post imported post

I did IPSC matches, but now I can't even reload at what I could buy factory ammo for last year.

geoff

Post imported post

I reload all my ammo so for Bullseye shooting I will use a SWC bullet,
    For S/D I use Speers Gold Dot bullets or Golden Sabers bonded bullets with a much hotter load. I could never afford the price of ammo now the way they went up. I also shoot a custom Ruger .22 at many Police L Matches. I use a Dillon 1050 reloader. I don't reload .22 but really like using CCI or Automatch ammo for my .22 Here is a quick look at my Ruger .22 I use
    S/F Vic

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I had been purchasing ammo for quite a while before the ammo crunch so I had plenty on hand to support my initial matches. Since the ammo crunch, I've been diligent in scouring the WalMarts for .40 S&W (what I shoot), which I have been able to find more easily than 9mm. In just the last two months, I've started reloading (again), this timeusing a Dillon 550. I was able to find primers initially, but now it is getting tougher to find those. As it is, I should have enough ammo to meet my needs for an extended period.

S/F!

Post imported post

I shot about 150 rounds of my reloads today and all went well. I have around 1500 rounds loaded of .45 as we speak. I use 3 different loads one for Bullseyes, another for IDPA and one for S/D I reload them all using titegroup. 4.0 for Bullseye with Lasercast. 200 grain SWC bullets. 4.5 for I.D.P.A. and 5.0 for S/D with .230 grain Speers H.P.'s
    S/F Vic

This is my shooting Box:celebrate

Post imported post

I was starting to develop an interest in that sort of thing. Then ammo prices went absurd and I figured next year might be better for that. Eventually though, I do plan to.

Post imported post

I shot my first match when I was 16 in 1985 or '86 with a bone stock Taurus PT-92, Bianchi M84 holster, old web belt and a $2.00 nylon mag pouch.

I used to be a match director for our local IDPA group a few years ago and shot USPSAand CASregularly.

My wife and I still shoot the occasional IDPA match through the summer, but I don't compete nearly as much as I did.

I learned some valuable lessons from shooting matches. Safe gun handling skills being one of the most important.

I sure wish more folks would play these games.
    "Never belittle someone for carrying a small firearm. Commend them for carrying a firearm."
    -OpenCarry.org member MAC702

Post imported post

My wife and I both shoot steel and bowling pin matches every chance we can.:celebrate

Our club also does an occasional CCW style match which is a lot of fun. Without reloading though, it would all come to a screeching halt.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Post imported post

GOOD LORD! What was that? Sorry, early Saturday morning computer skills obviously not up to snuff yet.

Post imported post

I Love pin shooting it is a lot of fun. My club stopped it after some member were trying to go to fast and blew out some of the lights . I avg. a 4-5 second table to clear, and add a second to the tier table's I miss them.
    S/F Vic

Post imported post

For Bullseye shooting I use a light load and shoot at 25 yards, This is a example of me shooting this week at Scottsdale on one target, with 4 Mags.

Post imported post

I was a member of my service's national pistol team for a few years. We shot conventional Bullseye and travelledto the "fleet" matches in Virginia Beach, VA & San Diego, to the Interservice match at North Little Rock, ARK, and the Nationals at Camp Perry. It was a lot of fun and good training to be provided government ammo and being paid to travel and shoot all over the country. I miss those days <sigh>. The service provided match-grade 22's and 45's as well as some 38 Supers if we wanted to use them. They had some S&W Model 52's but they were notorious finicky eaters, so most of us just used our bullseye guns for centerfire. I was originally issued a S&W Mod 41 HB, a "Gold Cup" 45 for shooting centerfire and .45 matches(hollow slide, full length ribbed sights and roll pins holding them on) and a "Hardball" 45 (Legal for "Leg" or EIC matches). I eventually bought my own Model 41 HB and had an EIC match gun built that I also used for CF and 45 matches. I used SWC for CF and 45 matches and had to use regular "hardball" for the EIC matches. I recall most of my team mates becoming Distinguished sooner or later.

I started match shooting High Power Rifle and Bullseye Pistol at the same time in 1988 and dropped rifle in 89 to concentrate on pistol. I went Distinguished in 1993.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

I shoot SWC always .200 grain with Bullseye shooting I am classified only expert but for being almost 60 my eyes are not that great as they were.
    S/F Vic

Post imported post

I'd love to but lack of time and money get in the way.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

I have not got all my gear at once trust that. I am 100% disabled from the Military. Plus get my SS but I do know many master class shooters around the country and can get discounts.
    S/F Vic

Post imported post

reconvic wrote:
    I Love pin shooting it is a lot of fun. My club stopped it after some member were trying to go to fast and blew out some of the lights . I avg. a 4-5 second table to clear, and add a second to the tier table's I miss them.
    S/F Vic
    If you ever want to shoot pins again, just head towards Fallon, Nv. for one of our pin matches. Here is a video of one of our matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgUX1hpa64s

Post imported post

I've been invited to IDPA shoots before and may get the chance to finally go in about 2 weeks. Will report back then.

-ljp

Post imported post

I shoot expert in IDPA the best advise I can give you go slow and hit the A part of the target, speed will cost you when you miss the A zone . Try and stay calm. I do remember my first match still I tried to go fast and had one of the worst scores , just have fun.
    I really enjoy Bowling pin Shooting but because of a few jerks they stopped it here, I wish it would start up again. Have fun and try to develop a timing, and the sweet spot is aim right under the diamond of the pin .
    S/F Vic

Post imported post

yale wrote:
    I'd love to but lack of time and money get in the way.
    +1