• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF raid in Alexandria

RedKnightt

imported post

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Huge-Illegal-Weapons-Cache-Found-in-Alexandria.html

The article:

"Federal agents seized at least 75 guns in a raid Thursday.
John Walker, 50, of Alexandria, is accused of setting up an operation to illegally convert semiautomatic weapons into fully automatic weapons, according to the BATFE. Such weapons frequently fall into the hands of criminals, giving them far more firepower than the police, agents said.

An undercover ATF agent purchased an AK-47 in the parking lot of a popular family restaurant. It had been altered to fire dozens of bullets with a single press of the trigger,
That led to the search of Walker's home, where agents said they found a cache of rifles, Uzis, AK-47s, vintage machine guns and a military standard AR-15-equipped grenade launcher. Some of the weapons will be difficult to trace because serial numbers have been removed.

Agents believe Walker, described as a weapons collector, had been running his conversion operation for a while, according to court documents.

Authorities also believe Walker used the parking lot of a Safeway grocery store near his home to make illegal gun transactions, according to court documents."

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexandria?

Heck why didn't he do it directly in front of ATF HQ? And here I worry about getting caught driving on a road that might be a National Park.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We need to be out in front condemning this behavior.

I know he's innocent until proven guilty. And I, frankly, wish I had the know-how to do this conversion.

However, the behavior is illegal. As law-abiding gun owners, we need to show that we are willing to work within laws, and that we condemn those who don't.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tess wrote:
We need to be out in front condemning this behavior.

I know he's innocent until proven guilty. And I, frankly, wish I had the know-how to do this conversion.

However, the behavior is illegal. As law-abiding gun owners, we need to show that we are willing to work within laws, and that we condemn those who don't.
The procedure to do it is simple and straightforward Tess.

Yes it is illegal but hasn't always been so and isn't necessarily evil.

I agree that we can't condone it as a whole, I don't think condemning it is appropriate either. Sometimes you need to sit back, be quiet and think to yourself...Boys will be boys,:lol:

TexasNative

imported post

I think this is one case where, if the allegations are true, we can be pretty safe condemning the behavior. Even if we consider the law to be wrong, it's still wrong to break it.

So, I'm not gonna go with the "boys will be boys" approach. This blows "youthful indiscretion" out of the water.

~ Boyd

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I think this is one case where, if the allegations are true, we can be pretty safe condemning the behavior. Even if we consider the law to be wrong, it's still wrong to break it.
Yep...you might be right Texan!

Shouldn't ever break a law. Just image what might happens when people stop obeying the master.:uhoh: Frightening, just frightening.

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Yep...you might be right Texan!

Shouldn't ever break a law. Just image what might happens when people stop obeying the master.:uhoh: Frightening, just frightening.
You are so right Nap, imagine the colonists disobeying the King's law. We would have chaos.

The "rule of law" only holds true as far as the law is just and not in conflict with the natural rights of men. Or should I suppose Tex would turn in his Jewish neighbors because the law required him to do so? Dayam Tex, you are from Texas right :^)?

TexasNative

imported post

So you guys think that armed insurrection is the way to go at this point?

I'll have to say have at it. One of the guys that'll be fighting you on the other side is me. If that's what you truly believe, then you're a danger to this country and your fellow freedom-loving gun rights activists.

Fortunately for now, thinking about such things is fine. Acting on that sentiment, including encouraging others, is certainly a crime. So if you're going to go down that road, you damn sure better win, 'cause otherwise, you'll be dangling in the wind.

~ Boyd

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:

I'll have to say have at it. One of the guys that'll be fighting you on the other side is me. If that's what you truly believe, then you're a danger to this country and your fellow freedom-loving gun rights activists.

Fortunately for now, thinking about such things is fine. Acting on that sentiment, including encouraging others, is certainly a crime. So if you're going to go down that road, you damn sure better win, 'cause otherwise, you'll be dangling in the wind.

~ Boyd
You must be reading two different boards.
No one other than you, is talking about armed insurrection.
My exact words were "Boys will be boys".

We were discussing condemning him or not, Not taking over the world. Looks like the real danger to this country is a methane cloud from all that bullsh!t you just posted.

TexasNative

imported post

Yeah, ignore Nep's post.

And insulting others usually means you're out of argument. Boys that break the law, especially felonies, end up in prison where they belong. It's called the rule of law.

~ Boyd

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Yeah, ignore Nep's post.

And insulting others usually means you're out of argument. Boys that break the law, especially felonies, end up in prison where they belong. It's called the rule of law.

~ Boyd
Well...no! I insult people I don't like all the time!

What happens to him is a matter of law. Ain't my problem. The issue is still if I'm going to condemn him or not...and I'm not!

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TexasNative wrote:

~ Boyd
Who said anything about armed insurrection being the way to go at this time?

But, I am sure that is the enigma which faced our founding fathers also. It Jefferson who said, "The tree of liberty must be refreshedfrom time to timewith the blood ofpatriots and tyrants."

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't disagree that boys will be boys. Boys do stuff like converting guns illegally (or other dangerous behavior). The part to be condemned is the selling of these. It ceases to be an individual's decision about how to live his own life when he starts selling them for (allegedly) nefarious purposes. Selling a full-auto weapon in a parking lot to someone you don't know is damned irresponsible, besides being illegal and stupid.

I condemn the transfer, not the conversion.

Yes, the law is wrong. But flaunting it, and distributing, indicate a disrespect for society that I am not willing to tolerate.

Now, if you want to accept all illegal behavior, you are, of course, free to do so. I would then doubt your ability to accept enough responsibility to understand the limits of appropriate behavior. Just my $0.02.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tess wrote:
I don't disagree that boys will be boys. Boys do stuff like converting guns illegally (or other dangerous behavior). The part to be condemned is the selling of these. It ceases to be an individual's decision about how to live his own life when he starts selling them for (allegedly) nefarious purposes. Selling a full-auto weapon in a parking lot to someone you don't know is damned irresponsible, besides being illegal and stupid.

Yes, the law is wrong. But flaunting it, and distributing, indicate a disrespect for society that I am not willing to tolerate.

Now, if you want to accept all illegal behavior, you are, of course, free to do so. I would then doubt your ability to accept enough responsibility to understand the limits of appropriate behavior. Just my $0.02.
Tess, I agree and disagree with you.
Yes, he did break the law. Yes it was stupid and in fact he should receive a Darwin award. Yes, I think the law is stupid, but it is the law. I wouldn't break it because the consequences are severe and I have little intrest in a full auto weapon. If I did I'd just pay the damn tax and buy one legally.

As to selling them for a nefarious purposes, we don't know that. We can only ASSUME and you know what that means.

I won't condone it, I just won't condemn him for it.

Yes, I do accept some illegal behavior. When I see someone not wearing a seat belt, I smile.

When I read about someone refusing to answer the census I get a big smile.

When I see someone reaming out their catalytic converter, I laugh.

It depends on WHAT the harm in the lawless behavior is.

So far, all I know about this case is one dumba$$ breaking a few tax laws. It goes on in every city in this country, every day and very few of those guns end up being used in a violent crime.

Tomahawk

imported post

Tess wrote:

Disrespect for a bad law is disrespect for the State, not for society. Don't confuse the two.

This guy was probably selling guns to known criminals, which is bad. But the laws he is accused of breaking are worse, and have done far more damage to society than the petty criminals he was selling too.

Put me on a jury for this guy's trial, and I will judge the law as well as him, which is fair enough, I think.

To TexasNative: I didn't read anything here supporting armed insurrection. You are being dramatic.

TexasNative

imported post

No, the colonists disobeying the King's law wasn't an armed insurrection, was it? That's why I say, once you start going down that road, you damn sure better win.

~ Boyd

hsmith

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Tess wrote:

Disrespect for a bad law is disrespect for the State, not for society. Don't confuse the two.

This guy was probably selling guns to known criminals, which is bad. But the laws he is accused of breaking are worse, and have done far more damage to society than the petty criminals he was selling too.

Put me on a jury for this guy's trial, and I will judge the law as well as him, which is fair enough, I think.

To TexasNative: I didn't read anything here supporting armed insurrection. You are being dramatic.
It is one act of stupidity to make FA for yourself, which is illegal.

It is another, giant act of stupidity to make FA for others, which is breaking the same laws, it just proves you are dumber.

Had he been only doing it for himself, he probably never would have been caught (not saying it is right, wrong, whatever).

Neplusultra

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Yeah, ignore Nep's post.

~ Boyd
Tex, we are both on the same side. The rationale I was trying to point out is whether the law is just. Personally if I knew someone who had an illegal full auto I would not turn him in unless I believed he was going to be using it for illegal/immoral purposes. Which is the same position I would take with my Jewish neighbors. The law is unjust. I am not advocating armed insurrection, we are not at that point. But I do hope there is a point at which YOU would consider armed insurrection :^).

Neplusultra

imported post

Tess wrote:

Very well put Tess !! I make my own beer, but can't sell or trade it. I cook my own food, but can't sell or trade it. Hunt my own game, but can't sell or trade it. Make my own explosives/fireworks, but can't sell or trade it. Make my own ammunition, but can't sell or trade it. But I can't make my own guns, why is that ???

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Tess wrote: But I can't make my own guns, why is that ???
Actually Nep...you can make your own guns, just can't sell or trade them. What you can't make are full auto (Without the required permits)