• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF raid in Alexandria

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jonesy wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
With that attitude I don't want to be anywhere near you OCing or anything else.  You may bring a buddy along who you know has fully auto weapons? So do you believe illegal drugs are ok too?  Or drunk driving?  You can just pick and choose the laws you consider "just" and ignore the rest?
Run along, good little subject. The free citizens in this thread are having a discussion about things other than how many laws we break.

Edit: fixed
You don't even live in Virginia pal.
Oh? I guess I should stop paying taxes then...

With that said, I apologize for the rudeness. It was uncalled for.

Edit: Sorry two posts in a row... See previous page.

Jonesy

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
With that attitude I don't want to be anywhere near you OCing or anything else. You may bring a buddy along who you know has fully auto weapons?So do you believe illegal drugs are ok too? Or drunk driving? You can just pick and choose the laws you consider "just" and ignore the rest?
Run along, good little subject. The free citizens in this thread are having a discussion about things other than how many laws we break.

Edit: fixed
You don't even live in Virginia pal.
Oh? I guess I should stop paying taxes then...

Edit: Sorry two posts in a row... See previous page.
No, keep paying to Commiefornia, you gotta support the illegal aliens.

Jonesy

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
I am starting to wonder about some of you guys. What this guy is accused of doing is a felony, and if he is guilty he should go to prison. While there may be laws I don't like, I think it would be a terrible thing to do to be on the jury and let this guy off because you don't like the law. Then you are saying it is ok to sell fully auto weapons to criminals.

This kind of talk I believe is an awful example for this board, to let people see you condoning this highly illegal behavior. You all think we only have to obey laws that we like or think are just?
That's not what I said. I said we should not condone the law where it is wrong. I believe this law is wrong. Therefore I will not condone its application.

If the law fails to distinguish between "manufacturing full autos" and selling full autos to criminals, that's the law's fault.

Personally, I do not break any laws. That I know of.

Edit: Who said it's OK to sell any weapons to criminals? I don't see anybody saying that. Perhaps you can show me where you learned this man was selling guns to violent criminals, rather than people made criminal by sheer virtue of the illegality of the transaction in question? The article doesn't specify.
I was not referring to anything you said Marshaul.Everyone is responsible for their own actions, and one who intentionally buys auto weapons w/out permits is a criminal, and I personally hope they get the max. Virginia juries usually give very tough sentences.
Well, that's exactly my worry. Tough sentence, and for what? A transaction where all parties involved did not believe it was wrong? That's not justice. I see no evidence for an harm done to another individual.

The parties did not believe it was wrong? You know what the parties believe? Care to explain how you know that?

And like it matters whether they believe it is wrong or not? You gotta be kidding me. I wanna hear you tell that to I judge? "I believed it was ok to sell machine guns judge, so please be lenient."

And you see no evidence of any harm, oh well then just let them go. with your attitude how are you not in prison?

TexasNative

imported post

So, if you don't like a law, you're not obligated to obey it? I don't mean you're willing to take the punishment; that means you still believe you're bound to obey it. But you seem to be advocating not being obligated to follow laws you feel are unjust. Is that a fair representation of your position?

~ Boyd

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jury nullification?

Malum prohibitum?

An essay on Why Libertarian?

Is there a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon? Besides at the range, I mean.

:)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jonesy wrote:
The parties did not believe it was wrong? You know what the parties believe? Care to explain how you know that?

And like it matters whether they believe it is wrong or not? You gotta be kidding me. I wanna hear you tell that to I judge? "I believed it was ok to sell machine guns judge, so please be lenient."

And you see no evidence of any harm, oh well then just let them go. with your attitude how are you not in prison?
Most people act according to their sense of what is "right". Criminals -- selfish people -- usually believe their crimes are "right" because of some or other perceived injustice, or because they feel some sense of entitlement (or basically because they are selfish).

But this does matter. Since everyone believes they are right, how can the law meaningfully punish those who commit wrong? The answer is to create a system of right-and-wrong which appeals to our universal human sense of justice. Simply put, you will never convince a person that he is wrong for a transaction which harms no other person. You have yet to even convince me, and I've not participated in such a transaction. However, you may convince a person that he is wrong for murder (it happens).

Fine men like Jefferson once had an idea how prison could be reformative for at least some segment of the population, for the benefit of society. Now, prison has little more purpose than vengeance, "you hit me I hit you back" so-called "justice". This may be applicable to the murderous and sociopathic, but it makes no sense to take people who have committed a malum prohibitum offense, and punish them with the furious retribution reserved for those who hurt other human beings.

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others.

TexasNative wrote:
So, if you don't like a law, you're not obligated to obey it? I don't mean you're willing to take the punishment; that means you still believe you're bound to obey it. But you seem to be advocating not being obligated to follow laws you feel are unjust. Is that a fair representation of your position?

~ Boyd
Please try to keep up.

marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
I am starting to wonder about some of you guys. What this guy is accused of doing is a felony, and if he is guilty he should go to prison. While there may be laws I don't like, I think it would be a terrible thing to do to be on the jury and let this guy off because you don't like the law. Then you are saying it is ok to sell fully auto weapons to criminals.

This kind of talk I believe is an awful example for this board, to let people see you condoning this highly illegal behavior. You all think we only have to obey laws that we like or think are just?
That's not what I said. I said we should not condone the law where it is wrong. I believe this law is wrong. Therefore I will not condone its application.

If the law fails to distinguish between "manufacturing full autos" and selling full autos to criminals, that's the law's fault.

Personally, I do not break any laws. That I know of.

Edit: Who said it's OK to sell any weapons to criminals? I don't see anybody saying that. Perhaps you can show me where you learned this man was selling guns to violent criminals, rather than people made criminal by sheer virtue of the illegality of the transaction in question? The article doesn't specify.

Personally, TexasNative, I don't break laws for a variety of reasons. At least one of which is my desire to be a good citizen. However, we will never see laws we oppose repealed by cheering their application. My position is that simple. Do I recommend or advocate anybody breaking the law? Rarely, if ever. Do I think every law should be enforced simply because it exists and somebody dared to violate it? Certainly not.

Jonesy wrote:
I don't need to justify it. Justify the law. Where is the harm? Grenade launchers shoot tear gas and rubber bullets, as the police love to point out. They are also fun, for those who like to blow things up (harmlessly, of course, like neplusultra ;) ).

Citizen wrote:
Is there a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon? Besides at the range, I mean.
I'm going, I'm going. :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Citizen wrote:
I'm going, I'm going. :)
Oh, no you don't! Get right back here and continue the conversation. I'm learning new things, enjoying the analysis, and generally enjoying myself.

tag

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Jury nullification?

Malum prohibitum?

Is that a fancy way of saying something's illegal just because there's a law that saws so and there's no reason otherwise for it to be illegal? Would some drug laws be an example of malum prohibitum?

Jonesy

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:

Most people act according to their sense of what is "right". Criminals -- selfish people -- usually believe their crimes are "right" because of some or other perceived injustice, or because they feel some sense of entitlement (or basically because they are selfish).

But this does matter. Since everyone believes they are right, how can the law meaningfully punish those who commit wrong? The answer is to create a system of right-and-wrong which appeals to our universal human sense of justice. Simply put, you will never convince a person that he is wrong for a transaction which harms no other person. You have yet to even convince me, and I've not participated in such a transaction. However, you may convince a person that he is wrong for murder (it happens).

You seem to be advocating that the violation of any law that does not harm another is alright. Then you ask how we can meaningfully punish one who commits wrong but believe they are right.

Laughable, you send them to prison for a long term. And you seem to think that this guy thought what he was doing was ok, which is FALSE, he knew it was a criminal act. "Walker agreed but told his friend that he did not want to deal directly with the undercover agent because converting and selling the gun could bring him "fed time" -- a federal prison sentence, court records say."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/26/AR2009062604108.html

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tag wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Jury nullification?

Malum prohibitum?

Is that a fancy way of saying something's illegal just because there's a law that saws so and there's no reason otherwise for it to be illegal? Would some drug laws be an example of malum prohibitum?
Yes. Although, being short and embodying entire conceptsjust a few words makes it handier than writing it out.

Malum pro se would be an act that is wrong in itself. Malum prohibitum would be an act that is wrong only cause the law says so.

Google or wiki for further explanation, which I do recommend, because there is more to it than just what I've written above.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jonesy wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:

You seem to be advocating that the violation of any law that does not harm another is alright.  Then you ask how we can meaningfully punish one who commits wrong but believe they are right.

Laughable, you send them to prison for a long term.  And you seem to think that this guy thought what he was doing was ok, which is FALSE, he knew it was a criminal act.  "Walker agreed but told his friend that he did not want to deal directly with the undercover agent because converting and selling the gun could bring him "fed time" -- a federal prison sentence, court records say."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/26/AR2009062604108.html
You've made several false assumptions.

First of all, you say what my position "seems to be", when I've actually articulated quite explicitly what my position is, and how it differs from the strawman you've created for me.

Edit: Actually, I kind of take it back. If you're saying that my position is that it's morally not wrong to commit a malum prohibitum offense, then that is correct. If you're suggesting that I'm advocating everyone ignoring every law that they don't agree with, you're missing the point.

Secondly, you assume that every person believes that violation of a law is inherently wrong. This is a falsifiable theory, and it is falsified here by the presence of myself, who does not believe there is inherent immorality to violation of the law, but believes rather that morality is an objective standard which exists above and outside the law.

A person may know he is breaking the law, but if he does not believe the law is right, he may likely not think he is wrong for so doing. Remember, Jonesy is not a lawbreaker, and presumably doesn't think like one either.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let me ask you something.

Let's say there was a law passed which declared "Jonesy must kidnap and throw in a cell for life the next person he randomly meets".

Would you follow this law, or would you disobey it? And if you disobeyed it, would you do so "merely because you thought the law was wrong", or would you have some other reason?

Where do you draw the line? At what point does the law do enough harm to nonaggressive individuals that we should cease to condone it, "merely because we feel its wrong"?

If we do break the law, or fail to condone it, what possible valid reason is there other than our "feeling the law is wrong"?

And I'm not even advocating breaking the law. I'm simply opposing its existence or application.

Jonesy

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Jonesy wrote:

You seem to be advocating that the violation of any law that does not harm another is alright. Then you ask how we can meaningfully punish one who commits wrong but believe they are right.

Laughable, you send them to prison for a long term. And you seem to think that this guy thought what he was doing was ok, which is FALSE, he knew it was a criminal act. "Walker agreed but told his friend that he did not want to deal directly with the undercover agent because converting and selling the gun could bring him "fed time" -- a federal prison sentence, court records say."

You've made several false assumptions.

First of all, you say what my position "seems to be", when I've actually articulated quite explicitly what my position is, and how it differs from the strawman you've created for me. I will not explain again; you're free to read the things you skimmed the first time whenever you'd like.

Secondly, you assume that every person believes that violation of a law is inherently wrong. This is a falsifiable theory, and it is falsified here by the presence of myself, who does not believe there is inherent immorality to violation of the law, but believes rather that morality is an objective standard which exists above and outside the law.

A person may know he is breaking the law, but if he does not believe the law is right, he may likely not think he is wrong for so doing. Remember, Jonesy is not a lawbreaker, and presumably doesn't think like one either.
The guy was selling machine guns and grenade launchers to people he did not even know to make money. This happened in my neighborhood. I want to be the jury foreman, if he is guilty, I would push for max allowable sentence.

All your talk about breaking laws where if there is no harm to another sounds like rubbish to me, and I think your ideas are an awful example for the 2nd amendment movement. Antigun people will point to you and saylook, they defend illegalselling of machine guns.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jonesy,

Regarding malum prohibitum, recall that the NFA was enactedallegedly to control gangsters, yet over time has morphed into something much more intrusive.

Also, consider that a full-auto rifle or sub-machine gun is the quintessential militia weapon, and as such, would be protected expressly by the 2nd Amendment, but for ridiculous case law.

The law is entirely capable of being wrong, arising as it does from politics.

As forlaws that are wrong,I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said something to the effect that it was a crime to obey an unjust law, or perhaps that every man had a duty to ignore unjust laws.

For myself, having used full-auto weapons in the military, I find them boring and have no interest in them. I just can't get any "yee-haw" out of the idea of shooting somethingfull-auto anymore. Also, they seem to me a quick route to an empty purse given the rate they eat ammo.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jonesy wrote:
The guy was selling machine guns and grenade launchers to people he did not even know to make money. This happened in my neighborhood. I want to be the jury foreman, if he is guilty, I would push for max allowable sentence.

All your talk about breaking laws where if there is no harm to another sounds like rubbish to me, and I think your ideas are an awful example for the 2nd amendment movement. Antigun people will point to you and say look, they defend illegal selling of machine guns.
Excellent argument. Your well-reasoned, carefully expounded opinion has me thoroughly convinced of the error of my own position.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
As for laws that are wrong, I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said something to the effect that it was a crime to obey an unjust law, or perhaps that every man had a duty to ignore unjust laws. 
Indeed, I referenced this on page one. I'm still looking for the quote. I should have added it to my personal arsenal when I came across it spontaneously while perusing this well-recommended volume. :p