• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boycott Fox2 Detroit?

eastmeyers

imported post

Well at 0535 this morning, Fox2 morning news in Detroit, said that "Open Carry INC" was having a picnic like event in Traverse City. They said that "residents in the area were concerned of the safety of the event". They did NOT say that this was a legal and peaceful gathering. Nor list this website at all. They insinuated that what was being done was dangerous, negligent, and possible illegal. Lets here the thoughts... NOT COOL that's what I say!

Michigander

imported post

They should be contacted and asked to re comment on MOC and the event itself. Best to give them the benefit of the doubt before getting too mad.

Michigander

imported post

One way to look at this is that all news stations love juicy news stories where the owners and FCC won't get mad at them for running them. We can probably get Fox 2, or most other networks or news papers, to give us positive attention. We've done it plenty already.

MOC could theoretically contact them and offer up "exclusive" interviews and coverage of some area event designed to get attention. There is a very good chance they'd be willing to run a good story about us if they thought it would keep people from changing the channel. They could be informed that we feel their piece on the Traverse City event was unfair, and that we wanted them to see what open carry is all about. It's definitely worth trying.

joe_robi

imported post

i gave up on the problem solvers back when my uncle got ran over while on his harley by mike ilich's soon to be son in law. when fox 2 found out it had to do with mike ilich they gave up on it and in turn i gave u on them.

Michigander

imported post

There is much to be complained about with Fox and any other major TV network as well as their local stations. That's not the point. The point is if we can get them to show us positively, because tens of thousands of people watch TV news.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

News agencies aren't "anti-gun", they couldn't care less. What they are is "pro-ratings".

Anti-gun hysteria has in the past made for good ratings... but those days are over. Now we just need to convince a few recalcitrants that OC stories are good for ratings, but only when they portray us positively (or at least fairly). :p

eastmeyers

imported post

Well I think that some of the leaders, and EXTREMLY knowlegable members, should contact the news channal. I can find out contact info if need be. Lets get a plan...

DanM

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Well I think that some of the leaders, and EXTREMLY knowlegable members, should contact the news channal. I can find out contact info if need be. Lets get a plan...

A plan for what? I think OC folks are already doing what should be done: practice OC as individuals, attendevents (both OC and non-OC related), alert media to OC events, willingly participate with media interviews, and contact media aboutcorrections to their stories. These things are happening. Are you talking about something in addition, or improvement on any of those things above?

DanM

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
I was talking about contacting Fox2 and asking for our side of the story to be told.

Thanks for clarifying for me. Don't wait for a plan. Just go ahead and do it. :)

That's mostly how this grass-roots movement operates. Everyone is the "eyes and ears" for gun-rights and is empowered to address anti-gun issues on the spot.