• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing on the 4th of July

Yooper

imported post

Dang, I guess I've been wrong all this time..... Here's how I thought it went.

(Disclaimer: All in good fun....take with a grain (or 2) of salt!)

map.jpg

hopnpop

imported post

Hey now, easy there - I'm in Paw Paw, SW Mich, and I think most of us would have a fit with being called anything related to Detroit! Detroit subdivision - no way! You forgot a divider running north/south thru Mt. Pleasant. I'm on the better (WEST) side of the state. Anthing east of that line is Detroit!! :lol:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

hopnpop wrote:
Hey now, easy there - I'm in Paw Paw, SW Mich, and I think most of us would have a fit with being called anything related to Detroit! Detroit subdivision - no way! You forgot a divider running north/south thru Mt. Pleasant. I'm on the better (WEST) side of the state. Anthing east of that line is Detroit!! :lol:
I agree... I've only been through Detroit on my way to Canada a few times, never actually stopped. Been to Novi once and Farmington Hills one time too. One to two times in 40+ years hardly seems to be close enough to qualify. I think that west of 131 is West Michigan, everything east is "another world". ;)

West Michigan seems to be connected to Chicagoland, but really only as a vacation/retirement destination for those to escape from the repressive regime of Mayor Daley (and we do have a quite a few Cubs fans). People from Indiana too, they seem to like the fact that there are actually beaches here.

"Up north" to people from GR starts about Newaygo/Fremont (M46) but seems to be changing to an M20 boundary as more people are commuting from former "cottages" to jobs in GR.

hopnpop

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
hopnpop wrote:
I agree... I've only been through Detroit on my way to Canada a few times, never actually stopped. Been to Novi once and Farmington Hills one time too. One to two times in 40+ years hardly seems to be close enough to qualify. I think that west of 131 is West Michigan, everything east is "another world". ;)

West Michigan seems to be connected to Chicagoland, but really only as a vacation/retirement destination for those to escape from the repressive regime of Mayor Daley (and we do have a quite a few Cubs fans). People from Indiana too, they seem to like the fact that there are actually beaches here.

"Up north" to people from GR starts about Newaygo/Fremont (M46) but seems to be changing to an M20 boundary as more people are commuting from former "cottages" to jobs in GR.

Sounds bout right :) I'd extend the 131 line to about M66 tho. Close enough!

T Vance

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Dang, I guess I've been wrong all this time..... Here's how I thought it went.

(Disclaimer: All in good fun....take with a grain (or 2) of salt!)

map.jpg
You're map is pretty accurate! I always laugh when someone that lives in Novi says they are from Detroit (because they consider Novi a "suburb of Detroit") :what:. I don't understand how when Novi is like 30 miles from the center of Detroit. Just say you live in Novi!:banghead:

autosurgeon

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
Just remember to steer clear of school zones, so you aren't arrested for carrying in a school zone!
In MI our pistol registration technically licenses us to walk by a school on the sidewalk OC. If you have a CPL they really can't touch you.

hopnpop

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
gravedigger wrote:
Just remember to steer clear of school zones, so you aren't arrested for carrying in a school zone!
In MI our pistol registration technically licenses us to walk by a school on the sidewalk OC. If you have a CPL they really can't touch you.
...Is that a choir of angels I hear?

DanYolSon

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
http://kzooteaparty.ning.com/

Its from 6:00pm to 8:00 PM on the 4th in Bronson Park

Going to try and make it there myself and bring a friend. Hopefully all goes well :)

Great time for my friend to OC for his first time. It'll be good for me as well seeing how I've never really done it with a lot of people around. Just walked around the neighborhood (South side of Kalamazoo) and turned quite a few heads. No police contact yet so I'm guessing that the dispatchers are doing there job by asking the necessary questions when it comes to "man with a gun" calls.

Happy 4th Everyone!!

T Vance

imported post

DanYolSon wrote:
No police contact yet so I'm guessing that the dispatchers are doing there job by asking the necessary questions when it comes to "man with a gun" calls.

Happy 4th Everyone!!
Police are less likely to do anything, such as harrass an OCer when there is a lot of witnesses.

autosurgeon

imported post

OCed at the Kalamazoo TEA Party with my brother also OC. Handed out 8 flyers and had several other people give us the thumbs up. I won a flag in the raffle so I got walk up on the stage in front of everyone OC:celebrate

hopnpop

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
OCed at the Kalamazoo TEA Party with my brother also OC. Handed out 8 flyers and had several other people give us the thumbs up. I won a flag in the raffle so I got walk up on the stage in front of everyone OC:celebrate

BEAUTIFUL!!! HA! Shoulda treated it like a catwalk.....and modeling this beautiful 1911 is.....

Sounds awesome - good promo!!! :lol:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
I was there at Riverside with my dad, we were both OCing. Looked for you but didn't see you. Handed out lots of cards though.
I actually had to cut my Riverside time short; a friend was in the hospital and I went to see him so I was only there for a short time. I OC'd (w/ CPL) in the hospital, as cc is not allowed. No one said anything.

I was down near the GR Ford Museum after eating dinner at Friday's. Sat in front on the wall near Ford's grave. I must have seen 20-30 police officers and probably had a few thousand people see me the whole evening, nothing was said to me at all. My history of no police challenges remains unbroken. I did have a sheriff's deputy nod once while I was crossing the Pearl Street bridge.

I have a friend who works at the Amway Grand Hotel; we got to watch the fireworks from one of the rooms. We then walked around the hotel as there were a few wedding parties going on and then back down to Monroe Mall until about 1:00pm. I was OC 100% of the time/ no problems at all.

OC'd at Perkins Restaurant in Jenison for lunch today, no problems.