• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC in Colorado for me...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have 15 permits.. none are good in CO. I dont's see OC dinners posted on the forum where 20-30 people get together like we do in VA. I talk to relatives in Centennial that have NEVER seen any non leo OC and they have live here for years. I still went to a Sportmans store with the Bro-In-Law.. bought a Kershaw assisted open knife.. very nice.

They had a sign in their window about guns. I asked the nice knife salesman.. what if I was OC. He said they would ask me to go to customer service... unload and clear it and then shop. I was like.. are you F'ing kidding me? I would NEVER handle my Loaded, Condition1 firearm (1911) in a retail store like that unless there was a BG. I was like you are asking for trouble.. the safest place for it to be (and remain) would be my holster. Anyway.. no offense.. but Colorado is not 2 hours behind Virginia.. they are YEARS behind. I can't wait to get home.

ed

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

ed wrote:
I dont's see OC dinners posted on the forum where 20-30 people get together like we do in VA.
You have to feel accepted in order to open carry? VA has dinners like that because guys balled up and started OCing. Their act made the timid feel accepted and not the outcasts in a society of unarmed citizens. The reason there is not a lot of OC is because there are a lot of guys, like you, who are too scared to open carry.

yotebuster223

imported post

If you went to the Sportmans in Littleton OCing you would have been breaking the law of no OC in the city and county of Denver because that store sits on Denver annexed property.

mahkagari

imported post

Not knocking Ed here, but I agree. The only way for OC gatherings to get 20-30 people is for 10-15 to start.Basically, until regular folks like Ed start OCing, regular folks like Ed will think that there aren't a lot of regular folks like Ed OCing. May take years, but every day you don't do something about it is a day longer it's going to take.

ed

imported post

I guarantee you if I LIVED here and had representation (and new CO laws better) I would have.I was here for a special occassion and could not afford to be jacked up with some issue from OCing.

If I lived here, I would OC every day and do what I do in VA (which is why VA is the way it is) because we OC'ers of VA challenge laws and officials and right letters and call our congressment and form groups like VCDL.ORG and we ATTACK all this agaist what we believe in with letters, calls, appearances, outings, picnics, dinners, etc.

I hope next time I come back it will be different.

Thanks,

Ed

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

SOME of us do those things without crowing about it constantly.

You don't know Colorado law and the "status" of OC here and you're still complaining about it?

There are a (relatively) few issues with gun laws in Colorado. It's not perfect (for non-residents, especially, as far as concealed-carry goes, or open-carry in Denver), but it's a whole lot better than most of your end of the continent, and we're working on those issues.

You don't hear of OC'rs being jacked up here (like in Norfolk) because it almost never happens.

Jeez.

Evil Ernie

imported post

You also have to take into consideration as it pertains to the location. Centennial isn't exactly "Colorado Native" territory. Lots of east and west coast folks live there, so OC/CC isn't the norm.

Head east to the plains or west to the mountains, north to the WY border, or south towards the desert. You'll see plenty of OC and quite a bit of quasi CC.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Just to add my $ .02 - I wouldn't holster-up if just visiting CO either. It took me 2 years of residency in Colorado Springs to work up the fortitude [and gradually at that] to begin to OC. Initially with great trepidation I might add.

Eventually the concept coalesced in my mind along with studying the law and the experiences of others on this forum. The State of Colorado AFFIRMS the right to wear a handgun in plainview with few restrictions. Custom expects the weapon to be securely holstered.

Private property is a different matter - your on your own. Basically how you present yourself will determine the reception. Let there be no confusion about the fact that OC-absent any suspicious behavior - is perfectly lawful outside of Denver, and should not result in a jack-up by LEO. Sportsman's Warehouse policy as evidence by the signeage posted still seems ambiguous. I have a CO CHP - so I guess the policy does not apply to me ???

The posting of signeage in Colorado specifies " NO DISPLAY of firearms except for LEO's " at any property or facility. Usually only posted on government property.

Sportsman's Wharehouse can ask to you to leave their premises[and spend your $$$ elsewhere] but they have no authority to disarm anyone.

Being a flip-flopping "Texan" I truly appreciate Colorado's respect for its constitution [ unlike Texas]. I beg to differ with the "anomalous OC" designation for Colorado. Even folks in VA on occassion have confrontations with the public /LEO contact - don't they ?

Beau

imported post

According to the sign CCW permit holders do not have to check in their firearms. It does not say that you have to hold a CO permit. And to my knowledge you don't even need a permit to OC in CO. I have not lived there since 1999. Last time I was home to visit (still consider CO home) I OC'd everywhere, with the exception of Denver. I did catch some flack from some asshat standing in line at a gas station in Byers. Other than that I had no problems.

Ape

imported post

I've been OCing in Colorado for many years and only had one run in with an LEO rookie. Long story short, he was wrong and was made to publicly appologize to me when his superiors arrived. Other than that I spend most of my time trying to educate the sheeple as to why I have a gun on my hip. ;-)

Machoduck

imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:

You don't know Colorado law and the "status" of OC here and you're still complaining about it?

There are a (relatively) few issues with gun laws in Colorado. It's not perfect (for non-residents, especially, as far as concealed-carry goes, or open-carry in Denver), but it's a whole lot better than most of your end of the continent, and we're working on those issues.

You don't hear of OC'rs being jacked up here (like in Norfolk) because it almost never happens.

Jeez.
Are you a troll? It certainly sounds like that to me. I didn't read any crowing or complaining in Ed's OP. Ed has a history of sensible posts and brings up several good points for discussion.

Just a few months ago someone had a problem with overzealous cops in Castle Rock. But....it almost never happens.

MD

ETA: Just a few months ago someone had a problem with overzealous cops in Loveland. But....it almost never happens.

ed

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Dynamite Rabbit wrote:

Jeez.
Are you a troll? It certainly sounds like that to me. I didn't read any crowing or complaining in Ed's OP. Ed has a history of sensible posts and brings up several good points for discussion.

Just a few months ago someone had a problem with overzealous cops in Castle Rock. But....it almost never happens.

MD

and.. I DID bring my guns.. and PLANNED on OC.. I asked my relatives that have lived there for years if they EVER have seen OC, they said no. I asked another relative that is a deputy and even he said he never runs accross it. Then I saw signs like at sportsmans and I don;t have a CC permit.. and when we are there we go to alot of palces, shopping, restaurants, etc. So it was not MY trip where I could mess up my wifes parents event by not being able to do somethign I committed too because I was incapacitated. If it was "just a vist" and not an event I had to be part of.. I might have been a little bit better of an activist. But I am STILL trying to fix carry problems in my own backyard too!

Carry On!

Ed

Machoduck

imported post

A couple of weeks ago I was open carrying (S&W 640 Centennial in a paddle holster). As I was looking at tee shirts with a Colorado motif the manager walked up and asked if that was a revolver I was carrying. [ No, it's a squad automatic weapon.] I politely replied that it was indeed a revolver. "Well we've had numerous people complaining about your carrying out in the open like that"

I asked him to name one, as I had seen no fear reaction on anyone's face. From all I could gather there was one complaint - from a stock boy! He then asked me to cover it up. I told him he was telling me to break the law. "Well......" I explained the whole sordid story to him (no CO non-res, no recip with WA and now no recognition of UT non-res) so that the legislature obviously prefers me to open carry. He implied that I would be "taken down by the locals" [ Fine, my retirement is not quite enough; a settlement would help that.] He then went on to explain that he was retired Colorado Springs PD. [No wonder he doesn't know the law!] He went on to demonstrate his lack of knowledge of CO firearm law on a couple of other points and even admitted that he couldn't prevent my open carry in the store.

I'm not complaining here. I'm just illustrating something we all know; that occasionally we run into silly people. We all do what we can to educate but some of our contacts are beyond it.

MD

ETA: This was the Walmart on Grant in Thornton, CO.