• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petty Offense "plus" bill ready for Senate vote

azcdlfred

imported post

HB 2439 which started out as CCW training reform bill, but now has some slick amendments will probably get a final Senate vote Monday, about 24 hours before the legislature will shut down. Read the 6/26/09 posting on the AzCDL News page.

As SB 1270 (Constitutional Carry) was going down in flames, AzCDL managed to get "Petty Offense" language added to HB 2439. The Petty Offense langugae reduces the penalty for carrying concealed without a permit and clarifies the open carry language clouded by 1994 court decisions. The Petty Offense language has already passed the legislature in 2007 & 2008 but was vetoed by Napolitano. It has a much better chance this year.

Yesterday, in the House Committee of the Whole (COW), the "Defensive Display" (clarifies when defensive display is justified) langague from SB 1243 was added to HB 2439.

Since HB 2439 has already been through the House it does not need anything more than a concurrence vote from the House to get to the Governor. Because the legislature is ready to shut down, they are racing through bills and tossing away most of them. Please help us push HB 2439.

I apologize ahead forlate responses to any replies - getting these bills through before the deadline is occupying all my time.

Fred

Dahwg

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
HB 2439 which started out as CCW training reform bill, but now has some slick amendments will probably get a final Senate vote Monday, about 24 hours before the legislature will shut down.  Read the 6/26/09 posting on the AzCDL News page.

As SB 1270 (Constitutional Carry) was going down in flames, AzCDL managed to get "Petty Offense" language added to HB 2439.  The Petty Offense langugae reduces the penalty for carrying concealed without a permit and clarifies the open carry language clouded by 1994 court decisions.  The Petty Offense language has already passed the legislature in 2007 & 2008 but was vetoed by Napolitano.  It has a much better chance this year.

Yesterday, in the House Committee of the Whole (COW), the "Defensive Display" (clarifies when defensive display is justified) langague from SB 1243 was added to HB 2439. 

Since HB 2439 has already been through the House it does not need anything more than a concurrence vote from the House to get to the Governor.  Because the legislature is ready to shut down, they are racing through bills and tossing away most of them.  Please help us push HB 2439.

I apologize ahead for late responses to any replies - getting these bills through before the deadline is occupying all my time.

Fred

Just read the amendments. Very slick work! Wish we'd have had CCW on school grounds. Too bad.

Dahwg

imported post

What the heck happened here?

HOUSE FINAL READ:
Vote Detail 07/01/09 Aye-30 Nay-10 NV-20 FAILED
:cuss:

Really? 20 people didn't vote on this one?

azcdlfred

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
What the heck happened here? HOUSE FINAL READ:
Vote Detail 07/01/09 Aye-30 Nay-10 NV-20 FAILED
Really? 20 people didn't vote on this one?

You can read a synopsis on our News page. The 20 who bailed on HB 2439 left earlyand weren't there for a bunch of bills.

:cuss: