• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hit with fist size rock, reasonable to draw?

triehl27

imported post

What happened in a nut shell was, I walked out of a store and was struck by a fist size rock that then bounced of my collar bone and shattered the window of the door I had just come through.

There was an argument over a parking spot going on and the disgrunteled driver had picked up this rock and thrown it at the other driver, missed him, and the rock hit me.

I went to one knee, and drew. My thinking being this "I have just been shot, two shots fired one is in my shoulder and the other struck the window behind me" Clerks in the store are yelling "gun fire get down", from the impact of the rock and window.

The passenger yelled "Oh F... You hit that cop, effe! he got his gun!" The driver dove back in the car, and peeled out backwards. I wasn't able to get a plate.

I wasn't dressed as a cop, but at dusk, and responding like that I can understand that part.

My shoulder is sporting a nice bruise, arm was numb and tingly for a while. Cops showed up. "No Plate can't do a thing. as they are long gone"

I was told by the first cop I had over reacted, that I had put other people at risk.
Second cop on the scene told me I had been more then justified, and that had it been him he would a held um.

I had no idea it was a rock til after the car was peeling out. I knew I couldn't look at the shoulder cause if it was a bloody mess it would only induce panic. And I knew I had lost all feeling and control of it, which added to the "I've been shot idea" And I knew I had to find the source of the attack. It was completely unexpected I had absolutely no prior warning before the impact. The rock is at least baseball sized.

Phssthpok

imported post

Justified IMHO.

Being caught by surprise with a susbtantial blow to your shoulder followed by the shattering of a window behind you, it is a logical presumption that gunfire was the cause, and an equal force response would be warranted.

Pausing to assess the situation after the draw rather than firing blindly at the first thing you see will probably be your saving grace should charges be forthcoming (which, IMHO they should NOT be).

Vandal

imported post

Normally I am the driver or co-conductor of the unjustified train to stir things up around here , but if I were in your shoes I would have done the exact same thing. I don't see anything remotely wrong with what you did. I think the cop who was telling you that it was wrong to draw was talking out of his butt and probably believes that only the po-po should carry.

DEROS72

imported post

Considering the way you describe the incident I would have drawn as well.After a good sit rep was aquired you did the the right thing.If I were to by blindsided like that yeh I would draw but never fired .You assesed the threat correctly.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Well done, you were justified absolutely I was told by a cop that I would have been good drawing on a few punks threatening my well being. Seems like that cop didn't like that you were able to handle things on your own but at least the other cop was a good guy.

okkid

imported post

Hit by rock or gunfire you did what you had to and any cop would of done the same.
Just glad your ok.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Good job , good reactions, I honestly don't think any gun carrier would have reacted differently. If it really was gun fire you would have been prepared to return it possibly saving your life or others in the area.

Metalhead47

imported post

CaptainAttila wrote:
A fist sized rock is deadly force in my book. Absolutely justified.
Damn right. Fist-sized rock a little higher & to the side and he'd be in the hospital right now or dead. ANY cop would have reacted the same in that situation, and probably fired as well.

OP: Have you by chanced checked with the store to see if maybe they caught the incident on a security camera? Might be enough to get the plate of the coward who ran off.

opencary?

imported post

anybody else would reat the way you did. so, where exactly this happened at? I would like to go personally and see that place.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

triehl27 ,

Thanks for sharing your experience . It's good to think about different types of scenarios beforeit might happen . My lady and I went to the greasy spoon for an early supper today Saturdays are steak special day. I was OC & she was CC . She asked me what would I do if the SHTF . Taking cover and exiting if possible while making sure your safe too , was my answer . We ended with me saying , how is this supposed to work if you will not listen to me ? Pretending to be POed while I'm :cool:inside .

What were you carryingwhen you were doing the correct thing ?

cynicist

imported post

When I was in junior high I knew a girl that for permanent brain damage from a rock that came through a car window and hit her in the head.
if it was "unlawful force" you are legally allowed to draw. Maybe not shoot, but draw, yes.