• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's time for me to buy

TheWarrior

imported post

Hi there,

Well, my 21st birthday is on the way and approaching rapidly. I was thinking about it this morning and was like, "Wow, I need to buy a gun soon."

I was before sold on a Sig Sauer P6, especially on the recommendation of Jerry Ahern and the fact that I could purchase it for $350, used by the German police. Well, long story short apparently http://www.centuryarms.com is out of stock, and besides only dealers can buy? This novice is getting annoyed and perhaps a bit confused.

So, I've come to the people I trust, you at OCDO! You know I want a gun. I would like to ask for you recommendations. Here are my criteria:

-9mm, if possible

-MUST be compatible with Crimson Trace lasergrips (don't laugh at me, I'm determined)

-The cheaper, the better. I do not want a worthless handgun, but it doesn't have to be the greatest on the planet either. Reliable, but it doesn't have to break mylimited budget. It doesn't necessarily have to be brand spanking new, either.

-DA please!

-Edit: must be black!

Well, that's all this uneducated novice can think of at the moment. It's time for me to buy my very first firearm.

Who wants to help? :lol:

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/crimson_carry/crimson_carry/

Would be my choice but that's me. :lol: It's pricey(but worth it), 45 acp(I don't like 9mm), SA(My Kimber's trigger pulls like a dream), and you get your lazer grips.

Now that's MY opinion. I am not you.

But if that doesn't do it for you Go to your local gun store and try every handgun in the place. I mean EVERTHING that you would consider carrying. Choose a gun that fits your hand and feels comfortable. Something you could hold and shoot for hours at a time. Narrow it down to three or four and do some research. Post your final choices on here and we'll give you some opinions.

Everyone has their own opinion on what makes a good handgun and what is good for them. The trick is finding out what is good for you. It starts with a comfortable grip, then caliber, then sights and controls.

Give us a few choices and your reasons why you like them and I'm sure you'll get a ton of information and opinions from the rest of the members. :lol:

TheWarrior

imported post

Hmm, might take that advice. Thank you!!!

Edit: Don't laugh or scoff, but as absolutely crazy as this sounds, it has to be entirely black. Trust me, I have my reasons.

chiefjason

imported post

What's the reason for DA only? Do you mean real deal DA like the kel tec p3at, where the hammer drops after every shot? Or DA/SA where the first shot is DA but follow up shots have the hammer back?

I have a S&W DA/SA. The first DA shot is decent but the trigger pull is way too long. Then on the follow up shots the long trigger pull is too soft from taking up the slack to fire it SA. Sloppy trigger equals poor shot placement, at least for me. I shot a Glock 19 last week and will be buying one next week. They are deffinately worth looking into. They have been doing 9mm nearly the same way foryears. There's something to be said for that kind of consistency and reliability. And a gently used Glock will still have plenty of life left in it. The range officer told me the one I rented has around 100,000 rounds through it. I was sold after the first 14 shots.

Regardless I would suggest finding a range that rents guns and shoot a few you are interested in. Do you want to drop hundreds on a gun you like, and hope it shoot's well? Or spend a bit upfront to rent a few and know it shoots well. If you can get somebody to let you borrow it for free even better.

Michigander

imported post

Sig is the only brand of handgun I care for when it comes to concrete jungle carry. Don't give up on Sig just because they are out of them over at century, which by the way is a shady company which you don't want to do business with anyway, (trust me on that, don't learn the hard way like so many of us have)

There are deals to be found out there on all types of Sigs, just keep your eyes peeled for them on gun broker and other sites like sigforum. Find one you want and can afford, then have it sent to your favorite FFL. You'll pay shipping and transfer fees for the FFL dealers, so factor that in when shopping around.

Happy searching.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carried a Ruger P89 for many years. I still don't know why I sold it... I abused the hell out of it, put AT LEAST 10k rounds through it and it never skipped a beat. No, not even ONE issue. Ate anything I put in the mag.

If I were considering a 9mm, that's the one I'd pick.

I wish I could find a 1911 in 10mm, at a price I can afford. Seems only the big names make one, and they put their price tag on it too.

TheWarrior

imported post

DA- because I was under the impression it was better? Did I read wrong?

Black- darn it, I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain myself on this one. Well, okay, just one reason it must be black is, well, I simply don't wear other colors too often. I always strive for black in clothing, shoes, belts, gear, anything, and if I'm going to spend a lot of money on something and carry it on my person, I always try to make it black. Don't anyone dare laugh or scoff, it may seem trivial to most but to me it isn't. Besides, getting a black handgun shouldn't be too hard....

So, Glock and Sig are lookin' good to me. You guys are a great help to this newbie. God bless y'all! :lol:

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Why give up on the P6? It sounds like it meets your criteria, and all you have to do to find one is take a good look (or call around) to the shops in your area. Or look at the gun board classifieds. They're up there all the time! Good luck!

My all-time favorite 9mm is my Kahr K9 Elite '03. A GLOCK 19 is also another option worth considering that is kind of a "standard." But if you ended up on a Sig P6, who are we to tell you any different?

r6-rider

imported post

whys it always have to be black huh? whats wrong with white? are we going to have a problem here?

lol really though, i have a sig p220 DA/SA and it is black. double action in my opinion isnt that great because of the 12 pound trigger pull i dont get a good snap, instead the barrel goes skyward. may just be me i dont know, but when the hammers back and its SA i get good crisp shots. go to the range and decide for yourself whats more comfortable

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, black sounds goods, but it's hard to say DA is "better" than SA. It's really a matter of opinion. Personally, I prefer a SA trigger. 1911s are so win.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Well, black sounds goods, but it's hard to say DA is "better" than SA. It's really a matter of opinion. Personally, I prefer a SA trigger. 1911s are so win.

Hellz yea! I started with a Glock 21 .45 acp. I still love my Glock but my 1911 is full of win. :celebrateAccuracy, reliability, power, and manageable recoil combined with a slim, intimidating profile and a extremely comfortable grip. There's a reason it's still around after almost 100 years.

TheWarrior

imported post

Thanks for being understanding, guys. ;)

So far you all have some good ideas. I'm no longer set on DA (will wait until I test for myself to decide) and like the look of Glock as well as Sig.But, I am still open to any ideas of course.

I'm gonna be broke...