• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's time for me to buy

JohnK87

imported post

I'd rather have a striker-fired than a DA-only. I suggest the S&W MP9c, a compact 9 that is light, easy to carry, decent capacity, all black, and available for about $550. You can get the laser with it too.

TheWarrior

imported post

JohnK87 wrote:
I'd rather have a striker-fired than a DA-only. I suggest the S&W MP9c, a compact 9 that is light, easy to carry, decent capacity, all black, and available for about $550. You can get the laser with it too.
Wait, with the laser (a CT laser?)? For $550? Where?

KansasMustang

imported post

Just me saying it, but 9mm is a pansy calibre. .45 ACP, Springfield XDM. They're not too pricey, 500$ will put it in you hand and with 13 round magazines and one in the tube, that's 13 BG's hitting the ground. I've fired most every calibre pistol and rifle and it's just my opinion, but if you want knock down power go BIG. And that's all I've got to say about that.
Edited to add;
KAHR Arms makes a really fine CC pistol. My brother has one in .45 ACP. Dandy little pistol for concealed carry and they also make it in full size combat carry. Also not way pricey for about 500$ +-

Alexcabbie

imported post

I guess I am the resident Walther fanatic, but I gotta say I been hearing good things about the new PPS. Comes in nine or .40, small enough for CC, but not a rinky-dink "cigarette lighter" either. The PPK and PPK/s models are (1) CrimsonTrace compatible (2) DA first shot SA thereafter (3) have a "decocking" safety and (4) enable multiple hammer strikes in a failed primer [which could be a lifesaver]. Disadvantage: Cal. .380 and long breakin, but dependable after breakin.

The P.38 and its relatives the P1 and P5 have all of the above features PLUS come in Nine MM BUT I don't know if you can get laser sight grips for them.

RebelHell

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
office888 wrote:
.45 ACP is full of win.

Get a 1911. You'll never go back to polymer pistols.

-Richard-
Very true.
My first handgun and my carry weapon now is a Taurus 24/7 Pro .40. It is a fine handgun and goes bang everytime. That being said now that I have had the chance to use many different handguns, including Glocks and XD's, my next gun will be my FIRST 1911. I say first because I love the 1911. I an sure I will be buying them far into the future. Greatest handgun ever made IMHO.

Alexcabbie

imported post

If this site had an emoticon of Gracie Allen running around like a ninny after she saw a mouse in the kitchen I would insert it here to show what I think of carrying a cocked and locked weapon. .45ACP is probably the BEST all-around defense load ever produced and the 1911 design is a superb launcher. But I MUCH prefer hammer down, cartridge in the chamber, first shot DA, everything after SA. If only Carl Walther Waffenfabrik would design a double-stack .45ACP version of the venerable P.38 it would be IMO the bestest pistol ever to grace the planet. I tried LDA anddouble-action- only IMO sucks eggs. Nice try, ParaOrdnance; but no cigar.

PDinDetroit

imported post

I very recently purchased a S&W M&P 9mm Full Size and OC Carry with a Fobus Evolution Paddle Holster. The Gun is accurate and have put 300 rounds through it with no issues. It is a "striker fire" handgun. I really like the set-up, as there is no "safety" to fumble with if/when I would ever need to use it (safety is built-in to the trigger, similar to a glock). They come is 9, 40, and 45, with the option for Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I picked mine up for less than $600.

I also have a Ruger GP100 4" 357 Magnum Revolver with a Galco Holster for OC. I think it is a MAN LAW that everyone has one at some point in their lives (no offense meant to the ladies!). I really like that I can fire 38 Spl or 357 Magnum from the same Gun.

Discussion from TheFiringLine forum about actions:

Single Action: Pulling the trigger does ONE thing : if the hammer has been cocked, it will release the hammer. Trigger pull is light, short, and consistant between first and subsequent shots. Example: Star Firestar Plus.

Double Action: Pulling the trigger does TWO things : it will first cock the hammer if it hasn't been cocked, and then it will release the hammer. DA Trigger pull is longer and heavier than SA, but the user can cock the hammer first if they want to fire in "Single Action Mode." If the gun is semi-automatic, the first shot is DA, subsequent shots are SA due to the slide cocking the hammer for you, resulting in differing trigger feel as described above. Example : Beretta 8045, Hoekler and Koch USP series, etc.

Double Action ONLY: Any DA gun which does not allow pre-cocking the hammer because the hammer won't stay cocked, and is often bobbed or hidden. No decock is ever needed, and trigger pull is consistent between first and subsequent shots. Example: AMT Backup

Striker Fire: Rather than a hammer, an internal striker is cocked and released to fire. The striker is cocked by the first motion of the slide, and there is no way to decock other than squeezing the trigger.

Good luck with whatever one you settle on!

w5wjp

imported post

The bigger the hole the better.......45 acp.

I have a Taurus PT145, cost less than $400, great trigger pull, 10+1. At my CCW class, I blew the X ring and the 10 ring out of the target. Fifty rounds in the 10 and X ring and I am NOT a good pistol shot.

spectr019

imported post

Lot of people are saying 'the bigger the hole, the better.' Shoot the bg in the foot with a .50 or shoot him in the head with a 9mm...We should all know it's about shot placement. Yes, distance is certainly a factor also, but youshould not be drawing your weapon 20-50 yards away from the bad guy...it's going to be very very difficult to back upin court that your life was in immediate jeapardy, EVEN IF the other guy had a gun. But when it comes down to it,whatyou are looking for in a bullet is ITS ABILITY TO DISRUPTVITAL BODILY FUNCTIONS. Just because something is larger doesn't necessarily mean that it can do this moreexpidiciously.

The guy says he wants a 9mm. This is his first gun, he has a long way to go when it comes to learning. So go ahead man, get yourself a 9mm. I personally started out with a .22 after everybody told me to go straight to a .45 as well. I've owned all the common calibers, and Ihave ultimately ended up with a few .40s and a .380 for my carrying weapons.

9mm and all black, DA/SA= FNP 9 (they make them in stainlesssteel also, you just have to look for the black). Comes in 10 andI think 15/16 rounds for the 9mm. Otherwise I agree with the others who suggested a Glock. That's my opinion :) Have fun with whatever ya get

Ben

P.S. - Go ahead and ask the people who say 9mm is a pansey/*ussy/weak caliber how many times they've been shotby one.

Walleye

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
Check out a Sig Pro 2022. 9mm, polymer, not too pricey, DA/SA, and it's a SIG. I love mine.
This. The 2022 is one of THE best buys you can get now.

All you guys pimping the .45ACP: Don't forget that .45ACP is vastly more expensive than 9mm these days, and for a new pistol owner that means less time to practice and less ammo availability. Also, the .45 Colt laughs at your pathetic, wimpy, cartridge. .45 Colt kick's .45ACP's ass. If you were real men, you'd all have Desert Eagles in .50AE.

TheWarrior - if you can, try out as many pistols as possible. Double stack, single stack, DA, DAO, SA, anything you can get your hands on. My personal preference is for a traditional DA pistol, but that's only because it's what I grew up with. I would not hesitate carrying a good DAO or SA in it's place, though.

TehGruu

imported post

Walleye wrote:
TehGruu wrote:
Check out a Sig Pro 2022. 9mm, polymer, not too pricey, DA/SA, and it's a SIG. I love mine.
This. The 2022 is one of THE best buys you can get now.

All you guys pimping the .45ACP: Don't forget that .45ACP is vastly more expensive than 9mm these days, and for a new pistol owner that means less time to practice and less ammo availability. Also, the .45 Colt laughs at your pathetic, wimpy, cartridge. .45 Colt kick's .45ACP's ass. If you were real men, you'd all have Desert Eagles in .50AE.

TheWarrior - if you can, try out as many pistols as possible. Double stack, single stack, DA, DAO, SA, anything you can get your hands on. My personal preference is for a traditional DA pistol, but that's only because it's what I grew up with. I would not hesitate carrying a good DAO or SA in it's place, though.

Yeah I am a 1911 guy with .45 being my favorite flavor. When I was 21 and new to guns I was all about the plastic. 8 years later and I like 1911 in .45 ACP. I won't ever buy another plastic gun except for maybe a pocket pistol. That being said, I got my 2022 about 2 1/2 years ago. No failures, lots of different ammo through it, cheapie Wal-Mart, high dollar, high spead SD ammo, NO failures. Oh, and the gun is WAY more accurate tham myself. I won't part with it. Oh, and it's a SIG! After owning various handguns over the past 9 years, the brands that have impressed me the most have been Colt, H&K, and SIG Sauer in no particular order.

I rambled again, look, the best reccomendation I can give you is to try out various handguns, get what fits YOU best. At least try a 1911. And as someone else mention, if you have your heart set on a 9, then by all means get one. If you want to trick it out, go all the way. My suggestion, as I mentioned previously, is try out a Sig Pro 2022. I think you will be pleased. And an added bonus, they aren't all that exspensive.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=33&productid=121

-Gruu

shad0wfax

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
DA- because I was under the impression it was better? Did I read wrong?

Black- darn it, I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain myself on this one. Well, okay, just one reason it must be black is, well, I simply don't wear other colors too often. I always strive for black in clothing, shoes, belts, gear, anything, and if I'm going to spend a lot of money on something and carry it on my person, I always try to make it black. Don't anyone dare laugh or scoff, it may seem trivial to most but to me it isn't. Besides, getting a black handgun shouldn't be too hard....

So, Glock and Sig are lookin' good to me. You guys are a great help to this newbie. God bless y'all! :lol:
No big deal there. I'm a huge fan of black attire as well. I ended up with an HK, but they don't play nice with Crimson Trace. I wasn't questioning the "black only" or "Crimson Trace compatable" portion of your post. I was questioning the 9x19 preferred part. Are you sure you don't want a very nice all black S&W J-frame in .357 magnum with Crimson Trace grips? Or how about a blacked out1911 in .45 ACPwith black Crimson Trace grips? If you went with a .357 you could shoot .38 SPCL or .38 +P and duplicate 9mm loads too...