• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger LCR 38 special +p

XDM OWNER

imported post

Picked up a new Ruger LCR 38 special +P. I like this little pistol 13 oz unloaded all aluminum frame stainless cylinder and barrel, This puppy really barks with +P loads. Recoil is very manageable, shot aout 30 rds and actually very accurate at 25 yards 4 out of 10 rds in a 10" round target. Found my new CC

n16ht5

imported post

very nice. ive wanted one for some time. how do you carry it?

n16ht5

imported post

very nice. ive wanted one for some time. how do you carry it?

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

XDM OWNER wrote:
Picked up a new Ruger LCR 38 special +P. I like this little pistol 13 oz unloaded all aluminum frame stainless cylinder and barrel, This puppy really barks with +P loads. Recoil is very manageable, shot aout 30 rds and actually very accurate at 25 yards 4 out of 10 rds in a 10" round target. Found my new CC

Had just gotten a S&W 642 PRO PORTED when the Ruger LCR came out . Haven't seen one yet other than photos . Really like the looks of the cylinder .

Being forced to pay thithing to AlGore's Climate Warming Church will put a damper on the fun .

VA Big E

imported post

I am considering a Ruger SP101 for my first revolver. I shot it at a range and really liked it. I have considered the LCR but I am concerned that the lighter frame will not be as durable over the years. What is your opinion on the SP101 in a 2.5 or 3 in bbl or the LCR?

XDM OWNER

imported post

Sorry about the late response.....

I carry it in a soft leather holster middle lower back, cant even tell its there

I like the looks of it all around but the cylinder looks tough

The lighter frame doesnt bother me that much since it wont be shot that much...besides lifetime warrentee from ruger.....sorry I haven shot the sp101 so there for cant really give you an opinion. But I really like this little pistol. more power than a 380 and about the same size. I traded a North american arms guardian 380 and some change for it. the 380 only had 20 rds through it and was perfect....

Will post a few pics when I get a chance

Rick

XDM OWNER

imported post

I just read the report on the sp101. sounds like a nice piece. also sounds kinda heavy. stainless is heavy. My north amer arms 380 was heavy. thats one of the things that made me trade.. the LCR is prolly half the the weight of the sp101. I went light so I would have the weight. I personaly think the sp is gonna be heavy in your pocket......just an opinion....something else my personal carry piece doesnt get shot all that much.....just a few times a month just to keep the feel.....the rest of my pistols is what I shoot regular with. my favorite is my glock 24c with the lonewolf 357 sig conversion and the veridian lazer.........

Rick

ace1001

imported post

SP101 .357 and lasergrips makes one HELL of a gun. Capable of suprising accuracy. Ace

2a4all

imported post

ace1001 wrote:
SP101 .357 and lasergrips makes one HELL of a gun. Capable of suprising accuracy. Ace
I agree! I've had my SP101 (2") for about a year (1500 rnds thru it), and it's still tight. It is heavy, though.

No laser grips yet :X

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I keep reading about how airweight .38's sometimes unseat hollow points from the casings, particularly with P+ rounds. Have any LCR owners had any problems with bullets becoming unseated from the casings? The owner's manual also describes this as a possibility & details how to check your ammo.

What kind of SD-hollowpoints are people loading in their LCRs? I currently have mine loaded with 129gr Federal Hydra-shoks, but I have not had an opportunity to get to the range to test fire the HP's yet.

What SD ammo have folks tested & found out does not work? Conversely, what SD ammo have people found works as intended?

I don't want to stock up on a particular brand of ammo only to find that it is not airweight/snub friendly.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I may or may not have owned both the LCR and sp101. Both are great. I think the ergonomics of the LCR are much better than the sp101, but I like the heft and versatility of the sp. Have shot Black Hills golddots 125 gr +p, federal 129 gr +P jhp, and federal 125 gr jhp .357 (through the sp). No problems with unseating.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ruger LCR

It is a nice pistol. I have fired one several times but do not own one yet. If I find one decently priced WITHOUT the crimson trace laser, I'll pick it up.

I have also been looking at the SP101 (I at first wanted a GP100 until I found this gem).

ace1001

imported post

(I think the ergonomics of the LCR are much better than the sp101)

Ergonomics are different for each person, so you should really shoot both. But understand that the lighter gun WILL recoil much harder in .357.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Federal 125 gr. +p .38s defensive loads we've shot out of the LCR feel to me like about 75% of a Federal 125 gr. .357 SD load. Subjective, YMMV.
The LCR is not a target gun, and it is not particlarily comfortable to shoot. However, it was not designed to be; it fills its intended role very well, slightly better than the SP101 I think, especially if CCing with something other than an OWB holster.