• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Person, with a question

callforhelplive

imported post

Hello,

I am new here and to finding out about the open carry for people under 21 that do not / can not have a CCW permit yet.

After reading and looking over a few post's I think I got the basic's but just wanted to make sure that all is well. I found a picture and was wondering if this would be the legal way to carry when / if I open carry

If anyone has any first time advice or anything to help out that would be great like I said I am new to all this and beleve strongly in the 2nd adminit. (sorry for spelling)

When I first heard about open carry I asked a nabor who is a officer and she said that no one under 21 is allowd to carry with out a permit, and that open carry is illegal in Kentucky and that scense I am under 21 I would be arrested for possession and other offences, So I am reading and heard two diffrent things. I hope you understand.

Thank you all for your time.

chris in va

imported post

Nine views and no comments, so I'll be the first to say welcome to the site!

That setup is absolutely a great way to open carry. The SERPA lock is a good way to get started, just so you can draw without any hangups or pulling the trigger prematurely.

You may open carry in Kentucky at the age of 18, notwithstanding what the LEO told you. Open carry is perfectly legal in KY, and as a matter of fact we just had a 2nd Amendment 'celebration' meeting in a church here in Louisville. Most of the 200+ attendees were open carrying, mingling with several LEO's. It was also on the local news channels if that's not enough encouragement.:cool:

Just do your research, be aware of off-limits carry and be confident. Is there anyone you can carry 'with' to help ease the jitters?

Fred

imported post

First off welcome to the Forum!:celebrate

Looking at the picture you should have no problem open carrying. Open carrying is legal in kentucky without a permit.

[align=left]

527.100 Possession of handgun by minor. [/align][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]
(1) A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as defined by KRS 527.010,

Based on the KRS youare good to hook. The restriction comes into play when you try purchasing a handgun.
[/font]
[/font]

callforhelplive

imported post

Thank you all for the info so far, please keep it coming. Is there any "law" or "admidmit" that I can nicely show her that open carry is legal in KY and in case a officer stops me. Just was wondering in case I get stopped or asked is that legal and I can explain and have hard proof to back my words up so to speek.

Also when it was baught it was regerstred in my dad's name, now that I am 18 is there anyway that it can be changed into my name? I only know the way if I was 21. any ideas?

thank you all

chris in va

imported post

Sure, that's an easy one. Find out who her supervisor is and point out her misinformation to them. If you still have a problem, let us know.

BTW it's 'amendment', 'bought', 'speak' and 'registered'...and there's no registration in KY. He can gift it to you legally and it will be yours.

Now I have to ask, why do you want to carry at age 18? Could cause you some problems being so young.

MgoBlue

imported post

Welcome to the forum, However, I have to take issue with the picture you provided and say that it is NOT an acceptable manner for open carrying. The dude in the picture simply does not have enough excess fat 'round the midsection for proper carrying! :lol:

TheMrMitch

imported post

You may own and carry open at age 18...your gun. You could have purchased it from another owner (not an ffl dealer) And be legal OR the gun could have been a gift.

Stophel

imported post

You can show them a copy of the KY state constitution, which gives the state ONLY the ability to regulate concealed carry. That's it. There is no law against open carry anywhere (I suppose they like to except gov't buildings...).