Thread: Hot Headed Bikers and Sheetz

Post imported post

So I have been Open Carrying In the Lynchburg area for over a year now with little to no issues, that is until tonight. I went on my lunch break around 11:30pm like I normally do. I get out of my car and some biker guy prolly around 26 or 27 (im 22), says "what the f*ck is that?". He goes on about how no one cares about my gun and saying I am a showoff etc. He gets all up in my face like hes going to throw a punch. Meanwhile im nervous, (im 6ft 4inch and 145lbs, built like a bean pole) and this guys well built. I just respond that he needs to calm down and that im not there to pick a fight. The unarmed security guard walks over and tries to calm the guy down. I went into the sheetz and bought my food without an issue. Unfortunatly the guard had walked away and had not kicked the biker off the property. He continued to yell at me, but I ignored him and left. Once I got back to work I called and informed the Sheetz manager of the situation and that in the future removing guys like that would be appreciated.

Leason #1 learned: Staying calm is very important when confronted by Hotheaded Bikers who are probably drunk.

Lesson #2 learned: Stay alert and hand at the ready, because you never know what this guy could have pulled.

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

Sorry about the unfortunate experience with a moron. It happens from time to time. You did a good job though, with keeping your cool and acting responsibly. With people that are looking for a confrontation of any kind you will find that they will only get angrier when their efforts are ignored. Just smile and say have a nice day... or as you did just ignore it altogether (but remain alert) if diffusing the situation with a simple "please calm down" or the like didn't work.

Have you been in Lynchburg your whole life?

Edit: Which Sheetz was it?

Post imported post

No I moved down to Lynchburg in 2006 from the grand police state.... oh i mean New York. I have loved it here so far and enjoying all my new found freedoms.

Thanks for the welcome! Im a long time reader first time poster. Ill be sure to be an active member though!

Edit: 3927 Wards Road, Lynchburg, VA... the one next to the Chik-Fil-A.

Post imported post

I'm glad you are enjoying it there and here in Virginia! Lynchburg's a nice place. Some people find it boring there (most people that grow up there for example ) but later on those thoughts turn to thinking it's not all that bad.

That Sheetz location wasn't there last time I was in Lynchburg. It's been a while since I've visited and it seems like every time I do there are newly built stores everywhere I look. I remember when that whole area of Target/Best Buy... Chik-Fil-A/Sonic/etc... was nothing but trees. :shock:

Post imported post

Yeah they have built quite a bit down there and it attracts the more immature crowd... (people my age with crotch rockets and cheap modded import cars). So friday and Saturday nights can be a bit rough.

I love it down here and dont plan on leaving anytime soon.

Post imported post

Yeah... from what I remember you can find stacks of that type hanging out in the Kmart parking lot on Wards Road showing off their Honda Civics or Dodge Neons on weekend nights. Sounds like it hasn't changed a bit. They are letting the "boredom" get to them and letting it convince them that trouble-making is a good idea, I guess.

Go the speed limit and slow their "races" down and you're guaranteed to have some tough guy showoff try and motion you to pull over and fight him. :P

If you like hot dogs be sure to check out the Weenie Stand out on Timberlake Road. And all Lynchburgers (Lynchburgians?) mustgo to the Texas Inn downtown and eat a couple "cheesy westerns." There are two Weenie Stand locations, but #2 out on Timberlake is better in my opinion; #1 used to be 24 hours though, not sure if it still is. The Texas Inn ("Tea Room" as some call it) was 24 hours last I knew as well.

Post imported post

Oh yeah, the tea room is still open 24.

Yeah that crowd is still all over the place. I normally keep to myself and go on lunch with my fellow employee (who also OC's). Tonight however I work alone.

Post imported post

Please don't tell me he was a Harley owner!

Post imported post

Can't fix stupid.

Good job keeping your cool. I'm sure you made a great impression re: OCers to all those who observed the fracas.

Post imported post

People must be stupid in that they keep trying to pick fights with people who are obviously armed. :?

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call local PD to report the incident, because it's been known that bad guy nut cases call 911 to report a guy threatening them w/ a gun.

Post imported post

rugerdon wrote:
    Please don't tell me he was a Harley owner!
    Folks who ride rice-burners don't have it in them to act like that! :P

~ Boyd

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    People must be stupid in that they keep trying to pick fights with people who are obviously armed. :?

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call local PD to report the incident, because it's been known that bad guy nut cases call 911 to report a guy threatening them w/ a gun.
    I completely agree. I think I would have called 911 as soon as I got to the relative safety of the store. Why risk seeing if the guy cooled down or not when you left? He committed the crime of Disturbing the Peace, I think. He was assaulting you verbally and trying to start a fight, and you had done nothing to instigate or aggravate the situation. He might have been armed with a knife or gun himself. Robert Heinlein's famous observation isn't always right....

If he was in fact drunk, a night in the tank might do him some good (better that than drive his bike while impaired).

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Carry a good voice recorder.

Call 911 next time - no question!

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Picking a fightwithan armed man. There is a correlation between criminal behavior and stupidity.

Post imported post

He had a cruiser.... I sure hope it wasn't a Harley owner.

I thought about calling the PD, and thinking on it now, probably would have been a good idea just to let them know that it was not me starting anything. I carry a video recorder in my car for any problems I might have while out OC'ing. I need to invest in a good voice recorder for my pocket. Thanks for all the encouraging words, this will definitely not stop me from OC'ing. A few run ins with morons is definitely worth the dozens and dozens of times I've informed citizens of the law.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Jero, sorry to hear of your issue. Were you at the Sheetz between Wal Mart and Target or the Sheetz down by the airport? I live here in Lynchburg and can be observed openly carrying practically any day of the week around here. I've never had a situation happen like you, whether here or anywhere I've OC'ed.

By the way, both Target and WalMart have a decent selection of voice recorders. I just bought a second one a few weeks back from Wal-Mart (an RCA) and it works great and it cost about $35. Let me know when you're free and we can meet for dinner some time.

Post imported post

My suggestion is to get a recorder that can connect to your computer to download the files for emailing or archiving. Just in case you have to use them in court or for some other reason.....

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    My suggestion is to get a recorder that can connect to your computer to download the files for emailing or archiving. Just in case you have to use them in court or for some other reason.....
    +1 - make sure you buy one of decent quality too. I bought cheap RCA and it didn't work with Vista, had issues getting it to work with XP too. If it's digital might want to make sure it records as mp3 or wavs, not some proprietary format.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO Jero! Good to hear you enjoy living in freedom. Sorry to hear about your encounter with an idiot. You did well staying calm.

pocket voice recorder - $40
    call 911 on the dangerous jerk- priceless

Post imported post

If your local sheetz has cause to employ security guards; you're better served not frequenting that location.

By having a security guard they're obviously admiting they have issues with their clientile and others who frequent that store. If said security guard won't expel people who are causing disturbances or who are loitering, that business is telling you your patronage means squat to them.

That said. . .

You handled the situation well and kept your cool. You acted like a responsable citizen and didn't let the dirtbag get the better of you. +1 on the need to carry a digital pocket recorder. Recording the wretch's comments and verbal attack would have helped to vindicate you not being the primary aggressor should the punk have tried to go hands-on with you.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
    .... He gets all up in my face like hes going to throw a punch....
    "Assault: the unprivileged, offensive offer to touch the person of another without cause, justification, or excuse."

A class-one misdemeanor in Virginia, punishable by up to twelve months in jail and/or a $2500 fine.

If you had the reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery (i.e., the actual touch), then you were a victim of a crime, as well as a wrongful act for which you could file suit. Â*Perhaps you should have called the cops from inside the store, particularly since there was a witness present.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
    pocket voice recorder - $40
    call 911 on the dangerous jerk- pennies of tax money

Listening to the call after the FOIA request and posting it online - PRICELESS
    Fixed it up a little!:celebrate

Post imported post

Jero and Jmelvin,

I am also a Lynchburg resident and I carry around town quite often. Maybe I'll see you guys around sometime, or we could arrange a meeting for lunch? I'd like to meet some more people who OC in the 'burg.

Speaking towards the OP, it seems that emotionally insecure males take offense to a clearly secure male carrying a weapon in broad view. Many males see it as threatening their masculinity because they simply don't have the kahonee's to carry or even hold a weapon.

Do not let this deter you! Think not of their immature and obviously insecure ways, focus on your rights and protecting yourself. We are all basically guaranteed some form of trouble one way or another by OC'ing, just accept this as part of the process, but also take time to educate people (as it seems you already have - mentioned in one of your other posts).

Anyways, I'm sure that I am preaching to the choir here, and you know full well what the deal is, so get at me in PM if you want to meet up sometime, I'm here all summer and the following school year.

Stay safe!