• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minnesota Zoo

Yooper

imported post

Hi all....looking for some help. Should be stopping at the MN Zoo around the 17th of July. I was wondering if it's legal to carry a concealed weapon there (with a permit of course). Can anyone point me to websites where the law is, so I can print off a copy (preferably from a MN govt site) that states what the "no carry zones" are, and whether or not "no guns allowed" signs hold any legal weight.

Any info you can provide would be great!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Airforce1

imported post

From what I have heard there is no statute banning guns on the zoos grounds. Don't quote me on that. But from what I have heard from my cousin that there are no noticeable signs there.

Rob

QuantumFm

imported post

I carry all of the time, even in places that ban carrying by posting "No Guns on The Premises." Minnesota has a very lenient law when it comes to enforcing those signs. If you are carrying in a private place where you are not supposed to, someone would have to notice your gun, and then ask you to leave. If you left at that time there would be no legal penalties. If you stayed and waited for the cops to come, they would check your permit and see that you have the legal right to carry a gun and then issue you a $20 citation and ask you to leave. So carry on!

Yooper

imported post

madrevar wrote:
24. Where am I prohibited from carrying my pistol?
  • School property
  • A childcare center while children are present
  • Public colleges and universities – may have policy restricting the carrying of weapons on their premises by employees and students while on campus
  • Private establishments that have posted a sign banning guns on their premises
  • Private establishments who have personally informed the permit holder that guns are prohibited and demands compliance
  • Places of employment, public or private, if employer restricts the carry or possession of firearms by is employees
  • State correctional facilities or state hospitals and grounds (MN Statute 243.55)
  • Any jail, lockup or correctional facility (MN Statute 641.165)
  • Courthouse complexes, unless the sheriff is notified (MN Statute 609.66)
  • Offices and courtrooms of the Minnesota Supreme Court and Court of Appeals
  • Any state building unless the commissioner of public safety is notified (MN Statute 609.66)
  • In a field while hunting big game by archery, except when hunting bear (MN Statute 97B.211)
  • In federal court facilities or other federal facilities (Title 18 U.S.C.§ 930)
Does this mean that I can't carry in any of the buildings at the zoo, unless of course I notify the commissioner of public safety?

Joat

imported post

Unless the law changed since 2007 that is a false statement, the 2007 Minnesota Statutes lists certain buildings that you have to notify before carrying not all government buildings.

Subd. 1g. Felony; possession in courthouse or certain state buildings.
(a) A person who commits either of the following acts is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both:
(1) possesses a dangerous weapon, ammunition, or explosives within any courthouse complex; or
(2) possesses a dangerous weapon, ammunition, or explosives in any state building within the Capitol Area described in chapter 15B, other than the National Guard Armory.

(b) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited or restricted by other law to possess a dangerous weapon, this subdivision does not apply to:
(1) licensed peace officers or military personnel who are performing official duties; (2) persons who carry pistols according to the terms of a permit issued under section 624.714 and who so notify the sheriff or the commissioner of public safety, as appropriate;
(3) persons who possess dangerous weapons for the purpose of display as demonstrative evidence during testimony at a trial or hearing or exhibition in compliance with advance notice and safety guidelines set by the sheriff or the commissioner of public safety; or
(4) persons who possess dangerous weapons in a courthouse complex with the express consent of the county sheriff or who possess dangerous weapons in a state building with the express consent of the commissioner of public safety.
Can an off duty cop carry in the courthouse?