• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Predator Drone patrolling U.S skies. ...

TechnoWeenie

imported post

http://www.newswatch50.com/news/loc...ne-patrolling-NNY/8ujqf9M2YkCXVlOmBVxFOg.cspx

Homeland Security drone patrolling NNY

A monitor inside an operations trailer shows a close-up view of a boat skimming across the water on Lake Ontario.

The image was taken from an unmanned aircraft more than three miles away.

A Predator B Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) has been temporarily based at Fort Drum since early June in an experiment by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Office.

The Department of Homeland Security is using the extensive restricted air space over Fort Drum to test whether the drone could be a good fit along this stretch of the northern border.

Video of a boat on Lake Ontario captured from 19,000 feet above (John Moore, NewsWatch50)

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has five of the aircraft but so far none of them based permanently in the Northeast.

The Predator will operate out of Fort Drum for about three weeks for testing and training, and to evaluate its use to law enforcement.

John Stanton, director of CPB's Office of Air and Marine, said state, provincial and local law enforcement agencies were quick to take up the offer of added surveillance of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River.

"So while we were flying, we were asked by our partner law enforcement agencies if we would be kind enough to be on the lookout for suspicious activities," Stanton said.

The surveillance also includes the land border between the U.S. and Canada after the border peels away from the St. Lawrence River.

By flying in restricted air space at 19,000 feet, the Predator avoids lower-level air traffic, cutting the risk of collisions, Stanton said.

The aircraft is virtually identical to Predators used by the military, with the exception of lower-power engine and no weapons, he said.

Original.jpg

Original.jpg

Original.jpg

:uhoh:

I love how they put it... Agencies 'politely asked'.... '

Hey, since you're up there, mind doing a bit of surveillance for us? I mean, you're only up there for testing, but while you're up there, ya know, just keep a lookout, thanks!'...

:cuss:

redlegagent

imported post

Sigh, sorry no conspiracy here folks. As someone who lives in the general area I can tell you this is more politics than big brother. The canadian border is largely un patrolled - this is a fact. John McHugh - our local congressman is up for Secretary of the Army and our senator is (Hillary Clinton) :cry:. By basing the Predator here, it allows them to fine tune the system while monitoring the border - we have various overflights anyways around here of A-10's and others due to regional AFB's. It more importantly offers another reason to keep Ft Drum open in any upcoming base closure considerations as now it is not merely a military base but part of our border security. No evil genie's here folks, just political clout being exercised for the local constituents. ;)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

The U. S. Coast Guard has been using manned and unmanned aviation assets since the 70's to track drug runners in the Caribbean Seaand Eastern Pacific Ocean. Some of the interesting programs they had were Aeorstats (blimpsequipped with radar;tethered to a "mothership" and flown at very high altitude to monitor aviation and seagoing traffic) and the use of RG-8A "spy planes" to track drug runners.

These days, the other 4 military services are getting "their piece of the pie" by providing observation platforms to track targets and vector Coast Guard and Navy ships (with Coast Guard boarding teams embarked) to catch dopers. The other services are justifying their continued existance (and budgets)by offering their services to the Coast Guard.

Alexcabbie

imported post

You know, all this surveillance being excused by an alleged effort "to catch drug smugglers" is problematic. As is the harping that illegal drugs finance the war on terror and cartels in Mexico etc; and therefore we need to curb gun sales because rich dope dealers and terrorists are buying FA AK47s in Virginia blah-de-blah-de-blah. I have an idea that will take all the profit right outta illegal drug sales.

If legally produced, narcotics, cocaine and marijuana are all ridiculously inexpensive. What I say is that the Federal Government immediately drop all laws aginst posession and/or use and/or sale of any of this stuff and the States do likewise. THEN issue every citizen age 18 or over annually one kilo of pure opium, one kilo of pure heroin, one kilo of pure cocaine and three kilos of marijuana and a kilo of hashish. All the crops necessary to produce this can be grown very well right here in the USA.

I am sure you are like, :?:shock::what:but bear with me here...

See, I do believe that if drugs were legal use would increase. BUT the people who would use them if not so restricted are largely already riding a bottle of booze down the tubes, so really no net loss. As for the common citizen, what he did with his ration of dope would be entirely up to him. He could use a little, use a lot, stockpile it, flosh it down the toilet, sell it (if he could find a buyer). American farmers could bid for opium, coca, and marijuana growing/processing contracts and it could all be paid for by the savings realized by ending the grossly counter-productive "war on drugs", with a bundle left over.

In short order, the farmers in Afghanistan would find that their poppies were not worth as much as the fruits and nuts the country was once world-famous for. The Mexican cartels would be reduced to less-lucrative crimes that are more easily detected and less subject to bribery since there is less money in them. And as for the vaunted "threat to our children"; if you raise your kid so that he doesn't become a drunk you have probably raised him not to be a dopehead too. This is the product of a loving parent. And this little plan of mine would go a long way toward keeping the peace. Yep, "peace-love-dope" and Hare Krishna (or the church of your choice) and no more stupid surveillance of people in an attempt to keep them from doing as they damn well please.

Would this work? I think so. Will it ever be adopted? Well, I know that Hell will freeze over before that happens. That is why I roll my eyes at Ron Paul fanatics. I don't live in Fantasyland. We need to keep vigilant and hold the government accountable, and yell loud so we can be heard over the bleating of the sheeple, if only to keep the government from arming those drones with Hellfire missiles and using them to patrol not only the border, but the interior. Aggravating? Well, yes. But as Jimmy Durante said: "Dem's da conditions what pervail"

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
We need to keep vigilant and hold the government accountable, and yell loud so we can be heard over the bleating of the sheeple, if only to keep the government from arming those drones with Hellfire missiles and using them to patrol not only the border, but the interior. Aggravating? Well, yes. But as Jimmy Durante said: "Dem's da conditions what pervail"
We need to fire everyone in Congress and the White House... but the sheeple will never listen. So... without further adieu... our country will go down the tubes with our representatives riding it down to complete destruction like Slim Pickens as Major Kong riding on atomic bomb from the movie `Dr. Strangelove'.

I fear people won't realize how bad things really are until its too late... and by then... well, we'll have complete economic and social collapse as all government subsidy programs will stop because the government that runs them will be insolvent, and anyone who depends on government will instantly become a beggar or criminal as they all race to try and get food... the riots that are to come will make the Rodney King aftermath look like a Sunday picnic at the park.

Tomahawk

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
We need to keep vigilant and hold the government accountable, and yell loud so we can be heard over the bleating of the sheeple, if only to keep the government from arming those drones with Hellfire missiles and using them to patrol not only the border, but the interior. Aggravating? Well, yes. But as Jimmy Durante said: "Dem's da conditions what pervail"
We need to fire everyone in Congress and the White House... but the sheeple will never listen. So... without further adieu... our country will go down the tubes with our representatives riding it down to complete destruction like Slim Pickens as Major Kong riding on atomic bomb from the movie `Dr. Strangelove'.

I fear people won't realize how bad things really are until its too late... and by then... well, we'll have complete economic and social collapse as all government subsidy programs will stop because the government that runs them will be insolvent, and anyone who depends on government will instantly become a beggar or criminal as they all race to try and get food... the riots that are to come will make the Rodney King aftermath look like a Sunday picnic at the park.

I think it is ironic that most people believe that a break-up or secession of any sort would likely be far more violent than the break up of the USSR when it preceded us and spent itself into oblivion.

All speculative.

buzzsaw

imported post

I get to see lots of helicopters around here and many are dark gray (look black in the right light) and the last time I sent my tin foil hat out for cleaning they lost it. I not only read the story about the UAV at Ft. Drum but also saw the article about the ATF in Texas and one out of Annapolis about the Naval Academy graduates being informed that they couldn't wear their ceremonial swords to graduation this year (for the first time ever) since Pres BO was speaking at graduation. We will leave out the disarming of off duty DC cops cause I think they ought to be anyway.

I have noted the many reports on this site about states with "shall issue" laws that have incorporated the CC information into their drivers lisc. data base as well as their vehicle registration data base.

Those of you who feel inclined can save yourself the trouble of letting me know that I am acting paranoid cause it aint an act. I smell trouble on the way and if the hoarding of ammo isn't an indication that I'm not the only one I can offer not other reasonable explanation.

I have often considered obtaining the CC permit in the past but for some reason never got around to it. Now I'm starting to be glad. I think I'll crawl back in my hole now and count my ammo. (rant off)

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

I think it is ironic that most people believe that a break-up or secession of any sort would likely be far more violent than the break up of the USSR when it preceded us and spent itself into oblivion.

All speculative.
The breakup of the USSR was violent... remember the standoff with Boris Yeltsin at the Parliament building? Sure, it ended before massive bloodshed, but things would have been much worse if the rest of the world was not able to chip in and help out while all former Soviet States were going through the transition. It was hell then and if the rest of the world was in a similar economic downturn or collapse like the Soviet Union... they would have been screwed and battle lines would have been drawn and a massive civil war in the former Soviet Union would have broken out... without allies in the West to support them with food and other supplies... you would have seen some serious "SHTF".

Come to present day with the collapse of the US economy... and with the massive number of people living in cities and wholly dependent on government subsidies... Katrina was a perfect example of the chaos to come... because unlike Katrina... no help will be on its way... the government will be insolvent and homeland security will be overwhelmed with Rodney King style Riots in almost every large urban area... And no other country will be able... or willing to help us because they'll be dealing with their own collapse...The US has been the place to sell things... we make up the bulk of many countries' export destination. When the cash cow that was the US stops buying... those countries that relied on income from the US will also collapse... want to see a domino effect? Just allow the Obama administration to run this country into the ground and make the dollar worthless thus destroying what is left of a working economy.

Alexcabbie

imported post

What is truly astonishing is that this seems to be Obama's GOAL. Either that or he reallly is so stupid as to think that he can take all the money from the "rich" and give it to the "poor" and be hailed as Robin Hood. "Rich" btw seems to be a "code word" for 'white". Outfoxing these jerks and stymieing them until we can throw a nice big check on them in November 2010 is gonna be a job and a half, but it CAN be done.

His two big economy-wreckers are this "cap-and-trade" nonsense and the "health care" fraud. But "cap and trade" doesn't take effect until 2012, and the next congress can repeal it before it ever gets started IF it ever does get past the Senate this year.

As for health care, THAT ain't gonna fly. NOBODY wants the same folks who run the DMV running health care (for one thing) plus, while "cap and trade" has cute polar bears drowning as its "poster kids", all they can dredge up for health care are semi-literate trailer trash who really aren't all that sympathetic.

What got Obama elected was the traditional Liberal DemonRat base of deadbeats and leftist dilliantantes (sp?) PLUS disgruntled workers in the industrial section who put him over the top by following the traditional formula of putting the other party in when things have not improved. But unlike the deadbeats, these workers expect RESULTS. And what Obama gave them a few weeks ago was a speech where he lectured them that they were being called upon to "sacrifice" and endure losing MORE jobs. That is not what they voted for, and they are getting pretty damned angry about it.

Sotomayor is problematic but she will - IF she is confirmed and that is not over with - be replacing David "walk on the wild side" Souter; which is a bit like replacing a pile of cow flop with a road apple. The real battle is to contain the Ubamanista agenda, be it the destruction of America or just simply the jejune plans od a dimwit who somehow managed to stumble into the Oval office; and to have a check on any further lunacy come 2010.

45acpForMe

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
What is truly astonishing is that this seems to be Obama's GOAL.
I believe the above statement and I also believe that he is moving ahead with outrageous speed (& spending) because he knows his time is short. Either he will be voted out of office 2012, impeached by a 2010 Republican congress, or kicked out of office for being inelligable (Kenyan born).

I keep hoping one of these birth certificates lawsuits will stick and force him to either produce it or leave office. The only bad side is "President Biden" doesn't soundmuch better and there may be riots in the streets with all the sheeple that voted for him causing havoc. Personally, I was hoping for a very short-"lived" McCain administration leaving President Palin. :p(eat crow hilliary, + more Tina Fey)

If he is found inelligible there really should be impeachments (hangings ;))of Judges, Senators, Congressmen that failed to do their job upholding the constitution.

Now as far as the drone flying our friendly skies. Here is my 2 cents on that. The govt can use whatever means it wants to monitor/police. The problem is when that becomes tyranny and used by evil people we need a way to defend ourselves and our country. For that I am 100% against any full auto weapons ban for the citizens since our founders wanted us to be able to overthrow any tyranny especially our own govt if it came to that. Granted if it does come to that a fully auto M16 won't do much against a tank or a hellfire missile,but the 2nd ammendment states that our rights to bear arms shall not be infringed. I am feeling a bit infringed right now.

Soapbox <off>

Bustelo5%

imported post

ok so I have to pose these questions.
1.How do you stop the governmet from drooning up the skies?
2.Realistically What would have to happen in this day and age for my generation (bravo tango whiskey I am 24 no clue what generation that is) to activlly overthrow this democratic system and bring it to its knees to become a republic again?

3.elect some dude or woman with no political regime affiliations at all.

45acpForMe

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
...to become a republic again?
I think what it will come to is the 10th ammendment and states asserting themselves telling the Feds to take a leap of the cliff they are approaching. Unfortunately not all states are passing measures yet.It may come to some threat of secession again.

So what would the Feds do if 26 states decided to leave the union? That is more than half and it might not be contiguous like the South. So the question is who controls the military at that point and what local militias are willing to suffer.

I think a good move would be to have the states legislature appoint senators like the way it was designed rather than letting popular vote. The senators are supposed to stand up for state rights and the house for the peoples. By changing the senate to a popular vote we lose that concentration on the state.

People argue, oh you would never need a ______ (fill in the blank with whatever weapon you want) and we onlyneed those weapons for national security. They forget if/when our govt becomes tyranical they are who we are fighting and we would need exactly those types of weapons to succeed. All the 22000 gun laws against open carrying, concealed carrying, gun-free zoness, class III weapons etc have neutered the citizens either physically or mentally. We are in a mess and right now there ain't no easy way out.

Imagine if they allowed OC in the halls and chambers of congress. Do you think they might fear the people a bit more? Those pussies passed laws so that they can't even be sued for slander when they do it on the floor of congress. Rush wanted Harry Reid to come on his show and say the same thing he said on the floor of the senate because Rush couldn't sue him there but could if he said it elsewhere.

<<<man

this

soapbox

gota little

high>>>

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

My pet peeve: Referring to Unmanned Aerial Systems (or UAVs, whatever) as "drones."

As far as I'm concerned, drones get towed behind planes to be used for target practice.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

As long as they're not mounting AGM-114 Hellfire's on the wing stations... I won't worry about it. I haven't seen these things along the border... or any indication that they're even 'here' at these small airparks that BP flys out of. m I see their helo's and light planes... but not these things. 'Guess they're still lookin' for Canucks with Nukes on the northern frontier.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

All speculative.
Americans love their oppressive government more than the Russians did. Americans will fight harder to keep other Americans under the governmental boot.

When Stasi fell, there was a rush on their headquarters to seize the records to learn which people had been internal spies. I wonder what we'll learn.