Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granholm may Sigh a new bill to stop OC

Post imported post

I just got back from the Grand Rapids gun and Knife show.I was talking with a Kent County Police Officer there who had been for over 20 years. He thought that you could be arrested in Kent County for it and told us they just locked up 2 last week. I told him it wasn't true. He then proceeded in telling me, that Granholm is working on a new law in MI that will make it a Felony to OC. He says she said she will sign this bill and the republicans will support it to gain a few No carry area's with CC. I really hope this is not true even though I am very sure she would sign something like this. He says its because of all the problems the uneducated (including him) Police are having with OCers. Just wondering if anyone else knew about this.

I know I misspelled Sign In the Title but I can't change it. ooops

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
    SNIP He says its because of all the problems the uneducated (including him) Police are having with OCers. Just wondering if anyone else knew about this.
    Oh, great. The police can't follow the law and the Fourth Amendment, so they decide to change the law.

Shouldn't be too hard tofind out. Just look up what legislation is pending on the appropriate websites.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

You know the Declaration of independents says that we have the right to remove or abolish, any form of govt. that gets in our way of happiness, or security! It does not define whether it is state or federal so I assume it means both. Hence the word ANY.

Post imported post

I haven't studied the Michigan law making process in a while, but as best as I know, governors don't make laws, they sign them. Also, bills to be voted on are available to view on the web, as they are part of public record.

Rumors may contain substance, or they may not. If this one is true, it shouldn't be hard to find out.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

conservative85 wrote:
    You know the Declaration of independents says that we have the right to remove or abolish, any form of govt. that gets in our way of happiness, or security! It does not define whether it is state or federal so I assume it means both. Hence the word ANY.
    This would mean we need the support of the majority of the people and I doubt the majority would support OC.

Post imported post

This is apparently all of the pending legislation involving guns in Michigan. I can't find such a bill anywhere. And to be fair, Jennifer Granholm seems to have pretty much kept her promise of not trying to mess with gun owners. And certainly she understands this subject well, because she is the one who wrote some very good AG opinions. So it appears as though this guy was blowing smoke.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pnvzxyu2wuvmejma2gaoe4nu))/mileg.aspx?page=CategorySearch

My guess is that open carry ticks this cop off, because we can do what he does without having to commit our careers to it, and he wants to piss in your boots any way he can.

It's really a sad thing that some police hate us. There is no legit reason why we shouldn't all get along very well.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
    He says she said she will sign this bill and the republicans will support it to gain a few No carry area's with CC.
    While eliminating as many "pistol-free/pro-criminal" zones as possible is an excellent thing, I seriously have to ask, can this governor make this state ANY worse? Seriously?
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    This is apparently all of the pending legislation involving guns in Michigan. I can't find such a bill anywhere. And to be fair, Jennifer Granholm seems to have pretty much kept her promise of not trying to mess with gun owners. And certainly she understands this subject well, because she is the one who wrote some very good AG opinions. So it appears as though this guy was blowing smoke.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pnvzxyu2wuvmejma2gaoe4nu))/mileg.aspx?page=CategorySearch

My guess is that open carry ticks this cop off, because we can do what he does without having to commit our careers to it, and he wants to piss in your boots any way he can.

It's really a sad thing that some police hate us. There is no legit reason why we shouldn't all get along very well.
    For some reason your link is turning up zero results for me. Does that mean there are no bills pending involving guns? :celebrate I imagine maybe my link isn't working properly.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:

Oh it seemed to piss him off alright. but he said he has no problem with us, when I invited him to our OC picnic at riverside park in July. I told him to have all of his police buddies stop by and check it out.

I sure hope you are right.

Post imported post

If the link doesn't work, you should still be able to find it pretty easily. Using firefox, I merely typed in "michigan bills" in the address line. That took me to the legislature.mi.gov website, where it has a database you can search through by category.

I don't know if this link will work, but here is a link to the page firefox sent me to:

(EDIT: it's the same damn link! DOH! If it works, scroll down and select weapons)

As a side note, annoying enough gun phobic people to where representatives start hearing about it is definitely a concern, so it might be a good idea to schedule another meeting at the capitol so we can talk to our reps again. Couldn't hurt anyway, and I think it should be done, especially since we've grown so much since the last time it was done.

Post imported post

There's a bill on there for people with CPL's to be able to carry 'electro-muscular disruption devices'. Tasers anyone?

Yes please.

[Edit:] Also one to eliminate pistol free zones for concealed carry.

Lets start hoping folks!:celebrate

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    There's a bill on there for people with CPL's to be able to carry 'electro-muscular disruption devices'. Tasers anyone?

Yes please.
    Please tell me yes this would be awesome. I would rather taze in most circumstances than kill someone. That would be great. but seem as how they are not even legal here. I doubt we will be able to.

Post imported post

I actually oppose any new rights for CPL holders exclusively. A bribe to the state and little card with your picture on it do not make you a more competent person. It's downright unconstitutional and wrong for the state to make a privileged class out of those who can afford to pay them off.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:

That would have been my first guess. Besides, prohibiting OC would violate the Michigan Constitution. They'd have to amend that first.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I actually oppose any new rights for CPL holders exclusively. A bribe to the state and little card with your picture on it do not make you a more competent person. It's downright unconstitutional and wrong for the state to make a privileged class out of those who can afford to pay them off.
    I agree. But I will take it however I can get it.

Post imported post

ghostrider wrote:
    That would have been my first guess. Besides, prohibiting OC would violate the Michigan Constitution. They'd have to amend that first.
    That's what I thought!

Post imported post

ghostrider wrote:
    That's what I thought!

Post imported post

malignity wrote:

Yes please.

[Edit] Also one to eliminate pistol free zones for concealed carry.

Lets start hoping folks!:celebrate
    I just got done reading that whole bill. Sounds promising. I sure hope it goes through. I see no real reason that it would not except that its not legal to own in MI.

HOUSE BILL No. 4155

Post imported post

This needs to be said repeatedly:

Cops are NOT experts on laws or lawmaking, and too many are accustomed to lying or bluffing about the law to the ignorant to get their way. If you want legal advice, hire a lawyer. Police are about the last people on the planet I'd consult for legal advice.

The Kent County officer just doesn't want you carrying your gun, and if he thinks a lie will convince you not to, he's going to tell it. 'Nuff said.

Post imported post

burgundyyears wrote:
    This needs to be said repeatedly:

Cops are NOT experts on laws or lawmaking, and too many are accustomed to lying or bluffing about the law to the ignorant to get their way. If you want legal advice, hire a lawyer. Police are about the last people on the planet I'd consult for legal advice.

The Kent County officer just doesn't want you carrying your gun, and if he thinks a lie will convince you not to, he's going to tell it. 'Nuff said.
    +1000

Post imported post

To be fair, rumors are worth investigating, regardless of who says them. You never who knows who and who knows what.

Luckily, with open carry related matters, rumors are usually fairly easy to investigate.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    To be fair, rumors are worth investigating, regardless of who says them. You never who knows who and who knows what.

Luckily, with open carry related matters, rumors are usually fairly easy to investigate.
    Well said.

Post imported post

I like the looks of this bill. Unfortunately, it's not yet been referred to the committee on Judiciary. Would repeal PFZs for CPL holders, 28.425o.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...8&query=on

Add: Btw, completed my CPL class at Action Impact on Saturday. I'll be handing in my paperwork to Oakland County tomorrow or Tuesday.

Post imported post

CoonDog wrote:
    I'll be handing in my paperwork to Oakland County tomorrow or Tuesday.
    Go early, and be ready to wait all effing day. They have been very backlogged.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Go early, and be ready to wait all effing day. They have been very backlogged.
    Oooooh, that's going to eb a problem. I have the kids home with me this week and thought I could get in and out in 10-15 min with the drop-off, pay, and print. Does it really take that long?

I could go next week when they're at summer camp, but don't really want to wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast