• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Granholm may Sigh a new bill to stop OC

Michigander

imported post

To be fair, rumors are worth investigating, regardless of who says them. You never who knows who and who knows what.

Luckily, with open carry related matters, rumors are usually fairly easy to investigate.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
To be fair, rumors are worth investigating, regardless of who says them. You never who knows who and who knows what.

Luckily, with open carry related matters, rumors are usually fairly easy to investigate.
Well said.

CoonDog

CoonDog

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Go early, and be ready to wait all effing day. They have been very backlogged.
Oooooh, that's going to eb a problem. I have the kids home with me this week and thought I could get in and out in 10-15 min with the drop-off, pay, and print. Does it really take that long?

I could go next week when they're at summer camp, but don't really want to wait.

Michigander

imported post

I'm not kidding. They have the people who waited until closing the night before get first dibs the next morning. They have 1 or 2 finger printing machines (I can't remember which) and it takes about 15 minutes per person. It inconveniences huge numbers of people.

I'm firmly of the belief that the state has no God damn right to my finger prints (or any other personal info for practicing a right), so the big wait basically adds insult to injury in my opinion. :cuss:

Edit to add: And be ready to wait 6+ weeks to get your CPL in the mail. It takes them time to put the picture on the card, laminate it, and I guess do all the paper work.

office888

imported post

Michigander wrote:
It's really a sad thing that some police hate us. There is no legit reason why we shouldn't all get along very well.

Superior understanding of the law has a tendency to do that.

Sucks to get shown up at your own job, especially when you think you're all-powerful.

Although not a legit reason, it seems to be a good quantity of LEOs think that way.

You'd think they'd be happy that a citizen MAY come save their butt, like that motorcycle cop that was getting the crap beat out of himself by a 6' boxer/bodybuilder. Or that they'd just be happy that at the end of the day, it's one less criminal to pursue, and one less victim that ended up dead.

Sad indeed.

-Richard-

hopnpop

imported post

Michigander wrote:
It's really a sad thing that some police hate us. There is no legit reason why we shouldn't all get along very well.
Agreed. Whether a civilian has superior knowledge of law is beside the point - we're on the same damn team!! Not wanting valuable teammates is simply ignorant.

atlantis

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
I like the looks of this bill.  Unfortunately, it's not yet been referred to the committee on Judiciary.  Would repeal PFZs for CPL holders, 28.425o.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28gxixyq55jrd2tpmtnwj13svd%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2009-HB-4348&query=on

The Bill looks OK to me, but I thought I'd point out something that I noticed after reading through the entire text.

You'll note that it always says..
IF THE INDIVIDUAL ALSO IS CARRYING
5 ON HIS OR HER PERSON OR IN HIS OR HER VEHICLE A PORTABLE DEVICE 6 THAT USES ELECTRO-MUSCULAR DISRUPTION TECHNOLOGY...
Which is a departure from the previous language regarding firearms which always state
"An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a
20 concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol shall..."

That means that unlike with firearms...this bill WILL affect Open Carriers of Tasers.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

The officer was wrong; I think he just wanted to get you "worried". Granholm has been more of a help than a hindrance to gun owners. When the CPL law first passed, she did say that there would be blood in the streets but, she admitted that she was wrong and said that her stance regarding firearms was changed because of this. I wish some of the so-called Republicans would feel the same. I have first-hand experience that the Republican Party in Michigan has as many "antis" as the dems, just tend to hide it a little better. As others have pointed out to me, the "gun" issue usually is better defined as an Urban v Rural issue. Legislators who represent areas that are urban in nature tend to favor gun control. Look at Illinois: a Republican legislator has stopped many chances of changing Illinois law to be more "gun friendly". A "D" or "R" after a name tells you little how they will vote in regards to gun rights.

hopnpop

imported post

I have to say that tazers probably have their place, but it's not to replace a handgun. My biggest prob with tazers is the prospect of multiple attackers, which often is the case. I understand a want for non-lethal force but for me, I'm more comfortable with theeffective, proven, versatility of a handgun.

I guess any steps toward effective self defense are good steps but so long as no one thinks it's a replacement for a gun. Well, no one in legislative office, I should say.

Radioman

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Go early, and be ready to wait all effing day. They have been very backlogged.
Oooooh, that's going to eb a problem. I have the kids home with me this week and thought I could get in and out in 10-15 min with the drop-off, pay, and print. Does it really take that long?

I could go next week when they're at summer camp, but don't really want to wait.
Hey CD

Oakland County only has one fingerprint machine in the Records Office so like Michigander said plan on a majority of the day. Also dont forget to leave anything with a camera in it (cell phone) in the car when going into the court house to pay your bribe. Guess they dont want evidence of taking bribes out in the general public like MC just had happen. I can attest that the fingerprinting was a 4 hour wait at the beginning of January.

Radioman

ETA : Oh and the wait back then was a surprisingly short 4 weeks.

autosurgeon

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
I have to say that tazers probably have their place, but it's not to replace a handgun. My biggest prob with tazers is the prospect of multiple attackers, which often is the case. I understand a want for non-lethal force but for me, I'm more comfortable with theeffective, proven, versatility of a handgun.

I guess any steps toward effective self defense are good steps but so long as no one thinks it's a replacement for a gun. Well, no one in legislative office, I should say.
Tazers work for larger groups when there is another backup person with a gun. Most of the time they are used to subdue a person that they are trying to handcuff for arrest.

mooseracing

imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
I just got back from the Grand Rapids gun and Knife show.

Pretty empty this second time around. I arrived at 9am like I did at the first one and didn't wait for tickets mroe than 5 minutes.

First one had both parking lots crowded.

PDinDetroit

imported post

I took my CPL Course on Sunday, and put my paperwork in on Monday. I live in Oakland County.

My experience: 10 minutes at the Clerk's Desk for filing (just after 4 PM), 1 hr at the Sheriff Dept Records Office for fingerprinting (8 people in line ahead of me).

I was treated with minor contempt at the Clerk's Desk, but was treated with complete respect at the Sheriff Dept Records Office. The Records Officers were respectful and stated that we were some of the most law-abiding citizens they know.

Your mileage may vary...

autosurgeon

imported post

I had the same experience in Van Buren county... clerk looked down her nose at me like I was a bug or something... The deputy's who finger printed me and did the paperwork at their end chatted with me and we discussed variouse firearms pros and cons for CC....

hopnpop

imported post

Kalamazoo Co. here and took about 5 mins but had to go to diff.station for fingerprinting, for which I made an appt. and no wait. Also, impressed by the new digital printing - looked like CSI stuff LOL No attitudes or anything like that in the least. :D

Sidenote: just moved to diff. county and looking to find out if I have to change it on my CPL. I'd imagine I would, but I don't know if I get a new address sticker like on DL's or...hopefully not...have to reissue the lic?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
Kalamazoo Co. here and took about 5 mins but had to go to diff.station for fingerprinting, for which I made an appt. and no wait. Also, impressed by the new digital printing - looked like CSI stuff LOL No attitudes or anything like that in the least. :D

Sidenote: just moved to diff. county and looking to find out if I have to change it on my CPL. I'd imagine I would, but I don't know if I get a new address sticker like on DL's or...hopefully not...have to reissue the lic?
No it's not required. You will need to change your address when you renew your CPL.