• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry of Knives (and a hello!)

RickMarc

imported post

Chris,

Im pleased whenever I hear about young Americans like yourself getting interested in gun rights. My parents was the typical anti-gun types , that believed in "peace" and "working things out". Which is nice in a post card , but not practical in real life. Im replying to you to let you know there isnt anything wrong with defending your own self. Its based in natural law. We are mostly hairless animals that still need to defend ourselves.

Im sure you'll find alot of friendly people on her and count myself as one. Write back!

Rick

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

charlie12 wrote:
Didn't someone post before that a person under 21 could buy a handgun in a FTF sale but not from a FFL?

I am not positive, but I believe that to me the case also. I am sure one of the resident ATF legal experts can post accordingly. But i did hear that on a couple boards.

whoopingllama

imported post

Hey, I'm sure an answer has already been given to the question at hand. But, I figured I'd go ahead and add my 2 cents as well. I actually have a copy of the ATF handbook that has all the gun and knife laws for every state. In Louisiana, the only kind of knife that can be considered illegal is one like a switchblade. The only time that length is mentioned as being an issue is when it comes to rescue knives. Which is where I think the 4 inch thing is. I'd have to go back and make sure about the measurement. But, that is why I've been confused whenever I'd see the sticker on the knife case at some gas stations that said it was state law that blades couldn't be more than 3 inches. That is a complete lie, and near as I figure has never been an actual state law.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

i think it is an urban legend that a blade about 4' is as large as a common folde rgets, so that by default kinda became the norm. No law in theis state to the contrary one way or the other.

cajunpapapump

imported post

Does anyone have an idea why rescue knives are restricted to everyone but law enforcement officers. I keep one in my vehicles just in case I need to cut a seatbelt in an accident. Just wondering if ya'll have a clue to why they restrict this.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

cajunpapapump wrote:
Does anyone have an idea why rescue knives are restricted to everyone but law enforcement officers. I keep one in my vehicles just in case I need to cut a seatbelt in an accident. Just wondering if ya'll have a clue to why they restrict this.

It is not the rescue knife perse, it is an automatic knife which is basically button operated like a switch-blade. I assume it was to keep everyone safe from ALL NORMAL CIVILIANS :p carrying them.

I admit, like forbidden carry places, it is about as stupid as a screen door on a submarine.

charlie12

imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
charlie12 wrote:
A little something from the Louisiana AG, my old buddy Terry Farmer ask a question.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/LAAGOpKnife99-0332.pdf

Yeah, I read that somewhere before also. it is good info, but I still do not think it addresses anything to do with length of blade outside auto-knives. Right?

You're right, I just posted it in case someone wanted the info from the AG and because I know Terry. He was a good hard working Chief.

cajunpapapump

imported post

But in the letter from AG rescue knife is a knife that 1 folds, 2 is readily and easily opened with one hand, and 3 has at least one blade that is designed to be used to free individuals who are trapped by vehicular seat belts, or contains one blade that is designed for a similar purpose. I was just curious why civilians wouldn't be able to carry these. I think I bought my resuce knives from walmart. But probably like you said a bunch of crap, hey who left the damn screen door open again....lol

provita

imported post

Thanks for all of the interesting information guys! Really! So for what I gather, a fixed blade is allowed for any length of any citizen, as long as they are not a felon, etc.

However, I also do not understand the laws on "rescue knives."

I own a fully serrated Spyderco Pacific Salt knife, and it is around 4 inches. I keep it in my car "just in case" to cut open my seat belt.

I find it rather... idiotic... to arrest someone for owning it.

A secondary question would be does anyone suggest a Kabar TDI knives as a better alternative to a Kabar USMC for open carry?

A tertiary question would be what about black powder revolvers? I do believe I can buy them at 17 legally, no questions asked.

For some reason I feel one of those questions will be taken seriously, the other not so much...

Thanks again, guys!

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

provita wrote:
Thanks for all of the interesting information guys! Really! So for what I gather, a fixed blade is allowed for any length of any citizen, as long as they are not a felon, etc.

However, I also do not understand the laws on "rescue knives."

I own a fully serrated Spyderco Pacific Salt knife, and it is around 4 inches. I keep it in my car "just in case" to cut open my seat belt.

I find it rather... idiotic... to arrest someone for owning it.

A secondary question would be does anyone suggest a Kabar TDI knives as a better alternative to a Kabar USMC for open carry?

A tertiary question would be what about black powder revolvers? I do believe I can buy them at 17 legally, no questions asked.

For some reason I feel one of those questions will be taken seriously, the other not so much...

Thanks again, guys!

I understand you are young and looking for some info, but now you are getting a little out there.

You have to factor in perception. The TDI would be a much better choice than strapping on a K-BAr. Stay away from the blackpowder for OC or any other defense. Spend some time at a range with a qualified instructor, and when you turn 18, if you feel competent, go ahead and OC.

However, OC'ing at 18, be prepared to not be taken seriously by LEO and others. I am not saying it is right, but any step out of line will be attributed to your young age. Shooting ti to you straight man.

Do stuff like strap on a k-Bar, crossdraw a blackpowder pistol, and you will be begging for ridicule and attention.

Your heart and motives are in the right place, you just need a little guidance.

:D