• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I have an itch for a new 1911

TehGruu

imported post

Hey, I have a little extra money and a hard on for a 1911. I am in Waco, TX and there's a gun store with a new, bluedColt Combat Commander for $759. There's another down the road that has a Springfield GI for $550. I'm kind of leaning for the Colt. The input of you vets is welcomed. Thanks!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I saw some colts the other day when looking for a 1911 for my uncle and wasn't very impressed. If you're going to buy I'd suggest a Springfield Loaded or one of the Many Kimbers that are out there. I had a GI at one point and didn't really like it. Maybe a Mil-Spec but I wouldn't buy a GI again. The loadeds are nice but all the different Kimber line give you quite a few options. As for my uncle we're looking at a Kimber TLE Custom II.

Edit for this statement...

Not a vet btw. I have done a shitload of research and my carry gun is a Kimber.

reconvic

imported post

If you are looking for a nice Commander I would suggest looking at Dan Wesson's Commander Bobtail. A really well made gun. If you want a springer I would always look at the serial number if it starts with NM it means the frame is a national match frame, most dealer do not know this.
S/F Vic

DobermansRock

imported post

Buy the Kimber after a few more months of saving. If you are going to go "go all the way"

reconvic

imported post

Kimbers were great the first ones that came out but now they use many MIM parts in them and I prefer no MIM parts in my handguns in critical areas no less. I work on all my guns as well as my friends and have been for over 30 years now. Quality part go with Cylinder and Slide parts. I sold all my Kimbers even my Warrior which I replaced all the Mim parts out on it. I check the hood by pressing down on it if it moves I won't get it also the Bushing and slide fit is upmost important. If you can move you're Bushing by hand it will thru your bullet out about 1/2'' at 25 yards. To some that don't matter to me it does.
For those that don't know what MIM parts are here.

The main complaint with MIM (Metal Injection Molding) is that they can (and do) break suddenly without any give or warning.

Most people complain about MIM for the slide stop, thumb safety, extractor, and the hammer. Unfortunately, each of these critical components are commonly manufactured with the MIM process, and if any one of them breaks, your 1911 becomes an expensive club.

Putting all tool steel parts into a 1911 is almost guaranteed to put you over the $1000 mark in cost
S/F Vic

curtiswr

imported post

Take a step up from the Springfield GI and get the Springfield Mil-Spec.

Shoot it a bit and upgrade from there as you find out what you want to change, if anything, through the course of your range trips.

That, or if you looked you could find a Springfield Loaded in the 750 range probably. I prefer the Mil-Spec route though simply because the slide doesn't have forward serrations on it. Purely aesthetic reasoning on my part... so might be worth it to you.

TehGruu

imported post

Well fellas, I got it. I checked a few gun stores, played with some Springfields, Kimbers, and a Colt. The Mil-Spec was a nice gun as were some of the Kimbers. What I ended up picking was the Colt. A 1991A1 Commander to be exact. I just love the way it fit me. I have wanted a colt for the better part of 9 years now. Circumstances, ex-wife, finances, availability, etc. has kept one out of my hands for a long time.

I haven't gotten to shoot it yet but so far all I can say is WOW. The day I got it home I field stripped it to get it all cleaned and lubed and shiny. The first thing that struck me was the barrel. Man, that thing is a beauty! One odd thing is the throat. It's a dimple thing. I was told on the 1911 forums that it was done to make it feed all types of ammunition. I'm going to try that before I take it to my smith. The second thing that got me was the dissasembly. It required NO tools, yet has a nice, tight fit. I ended up throwing the old wrench I had from back when I owned a Kimber back into the cleaning kit.

I haven't had time to take her to the range yet, but I'll try to give a report and post some pics when I do. Speaking of picks, here's a couple. Please forgive the poor quality. I don't have a badass camera, lol it doesn't even have a flash...

But guys, again, thank you SO much for your input. I think for the next one(there's always a next one huh?) that I may get a Springield Mil Spec so I can have a full sized to customize and take to the range. The commander I picked up will also be for carry and car ridesas well as home defense during the day. My Sig Pro with its fancy night sights helps me sleep at night.

Colt2.jpg

Colt3.jpg

TehGruu

imported post

Oh my, those checkered Cocobolo grips look nice... DAMN YOU! Lol, I thought I was done putting money down on my new piece!

MackTheKnife

imported post

DobermansRock wrote:
Buy the Kimber after a few more months of saving. If you are going to go "go all the way"
Kimber is the only way to go for a 1911. Forget Colt and Springfield. They are not bad, but do not hold water compared to Kimber.

TehGruu

imported post

Well, this is the 3rd 1911 type pistol I've bought. The first one was a Kimber Custom II a few years back. It was a good shooter, but, at least the one I had, I wouldn't have staked my life on it. I know the break in period and what have you, but an auto made these days shouldn't choke on ball ammo. The Kimber was a very picky eater, though by round 300 it was good to go except for a couple of ammo issues, which is why I only buy WC mags. Hell, the High Standard Compact was fine for $480.00 out the door. Only problem was the mag that came with it which got junked and replaced by one of Mr. Wilson's mags. I remember the barrel of my Kimber rusting too. So far the Colt has been fine. Nice fit, and a lot more balanced too, at least for me. I tried a couple of Kimber's similar pistols and the Colt just fit me better. But, maybe that's just with their commander models. So far I'm quite pleased with my pony.

-Gruu

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Kimbers are over priced, assembly line pieces with high frustration rates but excellent marketing. YMMV

If you like 'em fine, but as for me "Nevermore" sayth the Grape.

Yata hey

TehGruu

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Kimbers are over priced, assembly line pieces with high frustration rates but excellent marketing. YMMV

Yata hey
I concur so sayeth the Gruu.

MackTheKnife

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Expensive, yes. Frustrating, no. At least not for me. I have an older full-sized CDP and a pocket rocket Ultra Carry I. They both digest anything and everything I feed them- ball, SWC, WC, JTC, Glasers, Hydrashok, Gold Dot, etc.

I guess Kimbers are like the old adage about Timex watches: you either love them or you hate them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MackTheKnife wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Expensive, yes. Frustrating, no. At least not for me. I have an older full-sized CDP and a pocket rocket Ultra Carry I. They both digest anything and everything I feed them- ball, SWC, WC, JTC, Glasers, Hydrashok, Gold Dot, etc.

I guess Kimbers are like the old adage about Timex watches: you either love them or you hate them.
Timex keeps on tickin' - my Kimbers (2) did not. :(

Never were properly fixed by Kimber either. Fixed 'em (invalidating the warranty) and sold 'em. BTW - Wilson wouldn't even work on my Ultra-Carry - said they didn't work on Kimbers. :(

Whatever winds your clock. You love 'em; I'll leave 'em. :p

Understand that many people do like them. Carry on.

Yata hey