• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I have an itch for a new 1911

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Colts hold their value soooo well. And they look sooooo nice. I don't like the old style Colt sights.

Congrats to TehGruu for you acquisition. Looks great.

I've got a nice series 70 Commander in .45but seldom use it. If I could find my original grips, I'd put it up for sale. I do shootmy ColtDelta10mm. It's a fine gun.

For .45 I rather like Smith & Wesson, especially theScandium models.I'd buy a Kimber if I could get one at a reasonable friggin' price. Though, I recently purchased a Target II in 10mm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MackTheKnife wrote:
G'shot,

Makes you wonder why some products, in this case Kimber, are great and yet others of the same brand are crap? HMMMM????????????
Lack of quality control.

Kimbers are production line guns, not individually fitted. They contain MIM parts and apparently tolerances are loose. No flames on MIM, please.

While this description may fit other manufacturers, it has been my personal experience that Kimber doesn't care enough to give the best follow through.

I was even insulted with the statement that I must be limp wristing the gun. Replied that OK but if so it's the only one in my safe that causes me to do that and everyone that shoots it is doing the same thing. :cuss: Like I said fixed 'em & sold 'em.

Yata hey

MackTheKnife

imported post

Oh, well. I'm not an expert but we all have our likes and dislikes. I'm not sure about what MIM is, but I will say this. Kimber took away a huge chunk of the market share fromColt when they started out. Kimbers were throated and polished while Colts needed some gunsmithing to feed hollowpoints. Whether you carry a Glock, XD, Springfield, Les Baer, Wilson, Rock River, etc., as long as it's 45ACP, ROCK ON!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MackTheKnife wrote:
Oh, well. I'm not an expert but we all have our likes and dislikes. I'm not sure about what MIM is, but I will say this. Kimber took away a huge chunk of the market share fromColt when they started out. Kimbers were throated and polished while Colts needed some gunsmithing to feed hollowpoints. Whether you carry a Glock, XD, Springfield, Les Baer, Wilson, Rock River, etc., as long as it's 45ACP, ROCK ON!
MIM = metal injection molding. Generally cheaper way to make small parts, can be very precise. Primary problem is that when the do fail, they do so catastrophically - crack, sheer or shatter - without warning.

Agree on the matter of choice as long as it is .45ACP :) and preferably a 1911. :D

Col. Sam Colt made all men equal. The Rt. Rev. John Moses Browning made them more equal. :lol:

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

Congrats to the OP on his purchase.

Having owned 2 Kimber's one in the mid 90's and the other more recently I will never own another.

My Colt's, Springfield's, Dan Wesson's and S&W SC might have needed a little break in but once eat apprx. 200 rds they could be counted on.

Never handled a Taurus 1911.

Congrats to all those that have Kimbers that work reliably.