• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia's 1st District gets an early start

TFred

imported post

This poor lady's parents should have their heads examined... Krystal Ball... really?

But anyway, she's decided to run against Wittman. Interestingly, she seems to have adopted a moderate (for a Democrat) view on guns.

Krystal Ball gets started early in bid for Rob Wittman's seat

BY CHELYEN DAVIS

The 2010 congressional races are 18 months away, but Krystal Ball, who recently kicked off her challenge to Rep. Rob Wittman, R-Westmoreland, doesn't think she's starting her campaign too early.

As a young mother who has never run for office before, and as a Democrat in the Republican-leaning 1st District, Ball said she needs that year and a half to introduce herself to voters and raise money.

"I recognize how difficult the race is going to be," Ball said in an interview. "Well over 90 percent of incumbents get re-elected. Time is one asset I can use to my advantage right now."

A King George County native, Ball, 27, said she has always been interested in politics, particularly economics and foreign affairs. But she didn't plan to get personally involved until the birth of her daughter, Ella, now 15 months old.

"I've always been relatively passive with those interests, thinking about it and learning about it and not really getting directly involved," she said. "After my daughter was born, the way that I look at the world just kind of shifted. It just made me realize I couldn't sit on the sidelines any longer. I want to have an impact on the policies that are most going to affect her life."

Once she decided to get involved in politics, Ball set her sights on federal office because, she said, that's where her interests and experience lie. An economics major who recently passed her CPA exam, Ball has worked for federal contractor CGI. Now she and her husband work from home designing educational software, which Ball said entails much international travel; they were in Jordan for three months, including during last fall's presidential election and President Barack Obama's inauguration in January.

Ball said her campaign is focused on "healthy communities" issues.

The daughter of an educator, she wants to raise teacher salaries and increase teacher training, to help recruit and retain quality teachers. Ball also advocates more "alternative certification" paths so that professionals who are experts in their fields could also teach.

She supports full equal rights for gay people, and said that if she is elected an early priority will be working to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.

"Whenever possible, government should stay out of people's personal lives, both at the state and the federal level," Ball wrote on her campaign Web site. "It should stay out of our gun cabinets, our bedrooms, our marriages and our small businesses. We should be free to decide for ourselves who to love and how to raise our families, without government interference."

Ball supports background checks for buying guns but opposes stringent gun-control regulations, saying they have little effect on the root causes of crime and are contrary to her limited-government philosophy.

Ball said she dislikes the way incumbent Wittman has voted on several issues, particularly his votes against the Lily Ledbetter Act--which essentially expands the statute of limitations for claiming discrimination in pay--and his vote against SCHIP, a children's health insurance program.

The 1st District, which stretches from Stafford County to Hampton, has voted Republican for years. Wittman won 57 percent of the vote in the 2008 race, and a Democrat last held the seat in 1977.

The district voted strongly for George Bush in the 2000 and 2004 elections, and for Republican John McCain by a slimmer margin in 2008.

Ball said she is working on fundraising before a June 30 campaign finance filing, and that she'll use the next 18 months to have as much face-to-face contact with voters as possible.

"There's really no substitute for a face-to-face interaction with someone," Ball said. "No print media, no commercial, no radio ad can substitute for looking someone in the eye and telling them why you want to serve."

Chelyen Davis: 540/368-5028
Email: cdavis@freelancestar.com

apollosmom

imported post

Hmmm, that NY-D representative that replaced Mrs. Bill Clinton in the Senate, she was fairly pro-gun as well, wasn't she....until Chuck Schumer, et al, took her under their wing. Sorry Miss Krystal, I like the way Rob Wittman votes, and not just for his strong 2A support, but other things that perhaps, ahem, a stay at home contractor/educator might not have experienced here in America's First District!

TexasNative

imported post

It appears that when Krystal got married, she had to choose to remain Krystal Ball or become Krystal Dariyanani. I'm not commenting further on that.

~ Boyd

architect

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
It appears that when Krystal got married, she had to choose to remain Krystal Ball or become Krystal Dariyanani. I'm not commenting further on that.
Yeah, the wench refused to date me, I could never figure out why!
-- George Meth

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TexasNative wrote:

~ Boyd

Krystal Ball and her husband, Jonathan Dariyanani, of East Liverpool backed Clinton in the primary. They were at the rally (for Obama) with their 6-month-old daughter, Ella.

“We were huge Hillary supporters, but we’re pretty steadfast Democrats so it wasn’t hard at all to switch. We never disliked him (Obama), we just liked Hillary more,” Ball said.
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/09/08/news/doc48ba0b3001721797430054.txt

Yata hey

mobeewan

imported post

TFred wrote:
This poor lady's parents should have their heads examined... Krystal Ball... really?

I can see the campaign commercials now.

architect wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
-- George Meth
Maybe she looked into herself. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

architect wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
-- George Meth
LOLROF !!!!!!!!!

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:

Better than:

William B. Chandler
Director
Vice President, Manchester Industries, Inc.

R. Calvert Esleeck, Jr.
Director
President, Murray & Esleeck, Inc.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
O. Woodland Hogg, Jr.
Director
Owner, ERA Woody Hogg & Associates
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Michael A. Katzen
Director
Partner, Katzen & Frye, PC

Michael L. Toalson