• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry in Spring Mountains Toiyabe-Humboldt

I

inNV

imported post

What is the law concerning carrying, either open or concealed, in the Mount Charleston area (Toiyabe-Humboldt National Forest)? I once read that either was legal on US Forestry land, which is what I believe this is, but I can't seem to find any info now. Someone told me only OC was legal, which doesn't make sense in NV. Does anyone know?

Thanks

I

inNV

imported post

Nobody? You mean you live near the largest natural woodland in the continental US, and nobody goes hiking!

Loneviking

imported post

inNV wrote:
What is the law concerning carrying, either open or concealed, in the Mount Charleston area (Toiyabe-Humboldt National Forest)? I once read that either was legal on US Forestry land, which is what I believe this is, but I can't seem to find any info now. Someone told me only OC was legal, which doesn't make sense in NV. Does anyone know?

Thanks
National Forest land you can carry open or concealed with a permit.

jfrey123

imported post

Carry is legal as long as you're on the NV side. If you go to the Cali side, you gotta play by their rules.

Some of the CA guys are advocating a "unloaded" OC and doing it in the cities. You'd have to read up on it yourself, they cite case law as their way to circumvent the laws on it (circumvent is the wrong word, but it fits). I'm not bold enough to do it, but OC and CC is typically illegal in CA, and it would pertain to the forests too.

For reference I camp in Toyabie National every month or two, but take guns for target shooting and campsite defense.

I

inNV

imported post

Who the heck would carry a unloaded gun?

Anyway, I would just be staying on the NV side, Mt. Charleston and that. There are so many trails there that it would take a while to get to them all.

wewd

imported post

Loaded open carry is fine in California as long as it's unincorporated territory (most National Forest and BLM land is) and it's not specifically illegal to discharge firearms where you are. How carrying a gun and discharging a gun are treated the same under CA law I don't understand, but that's the way the law is written. It is probably related to state hunting laws. You should be fine carrying in CA as long as you are not near designated roads, structures, or bodies of water, all of which are illegal to discharge a firearm near. If you're out hiking overland or on trails it's fine. It's also legal to carry openly or concealed (no permit necessary) at your campsite since that is temporarily considered the same as your home.

As for the rest of the state, unloaded open carry is the only legal (though not perhaps socially acceptable) way to carry unless you have been blessed by our benevolent overlords to become one of the privileged few, may they be exalted and praised. :banghead:

jfrey123

imported post

Well if you're staying on the NV side, carry away!

As long as you stay in the National FOREST, there's nothing to worry about. The National PARKS are a different matter.