• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats your OC Style? ~ Rigs, Gear, Pistols etc.

Batousaii

imported post

Hello Everyone,

- Thought a interesting and informative topic would be to exchange ideas on styles of open carry. Describe your personal way of carrying. Do you prefer pistol or revolver? High and tight "off duty" rigs. Drop loop old school six-gun. tacticalmolle leggear. inside pants or ??what ya got??

- Why did you choose that style, what kind of reactions do you get from your style? Have you tried different styles? and do you get different reactions with those changes?

- What kind of thoughts do you have on various gear that others wear and describe.

- I would be very interested to know. I am a 100% CC guy atm, i would love to OC, but i am unsure what to start with. This would provide a lot of insight for some of us that have been CC and interested in converting.

:celebrate- I'll toss a couple ideas based on my personal gear/pistol sets.

* I usually have a Colt .45 Combat commander in a concealed pant holster. Obviously, no reactions here as it,s CC.

* Thought about changing out to my CZ75 9mm on a Molle style Leg holster. The rig it tactical style with an extra pouch on each side of the holster. Guess i am concerned people would react strangely around the rig as it is kinda got that desert storm feel to it.. The holster is a full flap UM84 deal, so at least that covers the pistol more, doesn't lookas "ready" as an open top snap release... Still screams "Hi i got a gun on my leg"..lol...

* Also though about just putting "sparky" (colt .45 combat commander) on my exterior belt holster, but i would definitely have my permit with me as any shirt or jacket covers the high riding holster. I use an old knife case for the spare mag. Not as noticeable, so i'm sure i'd only get looks when it's actually noticed. It's a simple sleak molded leather piece that fits tight against my side.

* Then my personal favorite, what i'd REALLY like to carry, but figure it would get the most notice, and that would be a single action .45 wheel-gun on an old school drop loop holster, nice tan leather.. looks very traditional American... still screams "Hi - gun on leg"... Could also use my Ruger GP100 in same rig with similar holster.

:dude:eek:k - your turn, your thoughts and what ya got ?

TY

Bat.

colt45ws

imported post

I carry a H&K USP fullsize 9mm in a Safariland 6378 ALS paddle holster. It is OWB and rides fairly high and tight. Not surprisingly, my first encounter happened when I was wearing lighter clothes as opposed to all black

Vandal

imported post

I OC my Kimber 1911 or SA-XD45 in a Blackhawk SERPA on the belt loops. Sometimes I carry the 1911 in a Bianchi Carry-Lok leather belt holster. I am a fan of OCing in a retention holster, just incase someone gets bold and stupid at the same time. I have yet to find an actual documented case of an OCing civilian have some moron go for his gun, but I would rather have the little bit of extra piece of mind.

uncoolperson

imported post

Sharkskin holster/belt set from the beltman, sits on the strong side (belt is a nice dress belt too).

Not OC or CC, I carry. if it shows it shows if it doesn't it doesn't.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I carry my g19 in a black hawk retention holster. With everything I wear, sometimes wearing dress slacks other times wearing dahui shorts and t-shirt , always open carry unless I am in the mall or costco, then pull shirt over it.

compmanio365

imported post

OC my Kimber 1911 in a hip holster, usually will have the 2 extra magazines in a mag holder on the left to even things out. If I am CCing at that time, just carrying my Kel Tec PF9 in a simple nylon holster that will conceal effectively.

amlevin

imported post

I recently made an addition to my OC setup. I used to exclusively carry my P-229 Sig in a Blackhawk SERPA. Found that it didn't carry the pistol as close to my body as I wanted. I went to a Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. It holds the pistol right up against my side and I don't have to "bow" my arm out like an old west gunslinger when walking with my arms at my side. It has a forward cant that I like and although it has a thumbreak retention strap I find there is no problem drawing the pistol with ease.

When I carry my CZ75 SP-01 (20 rounds w/o reload is sure nice) I use a Blade-Tech holster made of KYDEX.

Magix

imported post

My rig is pretty simple. I've got my Sig SP2022 in a Blackhawk CQC SERPA on my strongside. I use the paddle cause it rides higher and tighter to my body than the belt loops. Rarely do I carry an extra mag, but if I do, then it rides on the left side to even things out.

I OC more often now, but I'll CC if I walk into the mall, costco, or any other place I know doesn't allow it.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

My OC and CC rig are the same, except for my BUG. Stainless Officer's 1911 in a Don Hume 711 OWB holster, spare mag on the off side, on a Beltman (best) or Galco double-layer belt. High ride holster with a FBI cant and a thumb break, at about 4 o'clock, tight to my side.

This looks like an "off duty" rig, which is probably why nobody seems to ever say much about it. Combined with my looks (40s, short hair, often business dress), I'm probably mistaken for a cop although it's not something I'm attempting to portray. The most I seem to get is a sideways glance from a few people, and the occasional question.

Charles

antispam540

imported post

I CC a Kahr 9mm in a leather pouch that I keep in my pocket. For OC, I have
1911_comp_s.jpg

in a level 2 BlackHawk serpa holster.

Batousaii

imported post

Nice pics guys. I am a big fan of the 1911. thats what i usually carry. I do love my Ruger.357 and 9mm CZ too. CZ has a strong polymere finish lending it well to our local weather. I do hope for the day when i can wear my Stainless Steal sixgun on a drop loop with out people freekin, it would be...well - sexy.

Bat.

Sea_Chicken

imported post

I usualy carry my XD40 on my strong side in a blackhawk serpa holster. Most the time when i cary i wear a black Tshirt or button bown shirt and nodody really pays too much attention to it wich makes life easier. Soon as I find a shoulder rig for my xd i'll give it a try but i havent been able to find one anywhere.

kenshin

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
I usualy carry my XD40 on my strong side in a blackhawk serpa holster. Most the time when i cary i wear a black Tshirt or button bown shirt and nodody really pays too much attention to it wich makes life easier. Soon as I find a shoulder rig for my xd i'll give it a try but i havent been able to find one anywhere.
Also been lookin' for a shoulder holster. Will most likely have to order it online, not many stores stock them.

Galco has a nice looking verticle shoulder rig that I've been looking at.

P.S. For now, I carry either my Kimber Eclipse in a serpa or my USP 45 in a kramer IWB if I might feel the need to conceal.

blowfish852252000

imported post

I am new to OC stage.I carry glock 17 in a CQC serpa holster with the paddle as it does ride high and snug on my strong side. I like the serpa holster as you take out your weapon you are already indexing the weapon. but i do have i galco IWB holster that i bought off of topglock.com as i am a bigger guy it is very comfortable

eBratt

imported post

I also am an XD guy. I have a 4" service model Springfield XD9. I carry in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster, positioned crossdraw (on my left hip) at about 9:30-10:00.

There are a lot of people who preach against crossdraw. I do it for two reasons. First, it is more comfortable for me and more accessible when sitting and driving. Second, and more importantly, I don't have to worry about someone coming up close behind me and trying to disarm me. They have to approach me from the front. Not an excuse for condition white carry, but it means I don't feel like I am acting paranoid and glancing over my shoulder every 20 seconds.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Primary OC rig is a Galco open top holster (no retention) with my 1911. If I am camping/hiking I use a Serpa holster. If I CC its usually a shoulder rig.

Forgot where I read this but those of you with a black or dark weapon take a white crayon and fill in the info on the slide. It sure looks good and takes about 3 months to wear off.

antispam540

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Primary OC rig is a Galco open top holster (no retention) with my 1911. If I am camping/hiking I use a Serpa holster. If I CC its usually a shoulder rig.

Forgot where I read this but those of you with a black or dark weapon take a white crayon and fill in the info on the slide. It sure looks good and takes about 3 months to wear off.
+1

Crayon works and looks great

colt45ws

imported post

usp6sm.jpg

I used paint. Lasts a little longer. Just drip it into the roll marks and used a old credit card to remove the excess. Wait until it dries and use some oil to remove the stains. I actually used ATF.

MrRiley2u

imported post

I OC with my Glock 23 .40cal with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, In a Fobus Paddle Holster Shooting a Speer Gold Dot 40 S&W 180 GR HP.

Have been OC in and around the Puyallup area for months with out a single Negative reaction!