• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Hawk Serpa users

Stafford_1911

imported post

I recently switched to a Black Hawk Serpa (left handed) for my S&W 1911. In the last few weeks I have noticed some significant wear on the slide both near the muzzle and around the ejection port. The weapon seems to fit snugly enough that it does not move unless I’m doing something like jumping up and down.
Has anyone else had this issue? How did you fix it? I considered lining it with something like mole skin but there’s not enough room to do it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Stafford_1911 wrote:
I recently switched to a Black Hawk Serpa (left handed) for my S&W 1911. In the last few weeks I have noticed some significant wear on the slide both near the muzzle and around the ejection port. The weapon seems to fit snugly enough that it does not move unless I’m doing something like jumping up and down.
Has anyone else had this issue? How did you fix it? I considered lining it with something like mole skin but there’s not enough room to do it.
IMO that is the only draw back to Serpas (I have several) and other kydex holsters - they will produce wear marks were the holster rubs/fits tight.

Don't know any finish that will hold up to this either. :(

They are quick, secure and durable - all good points. Wish that the were soft lined with something though. Are you listening BlackHawk?

On the other hand: gun wear = character squared :)

Yata hey

r6-rider

imported post

i had that problem with my 1911 too. really screwed me when i traded it for my sig, which for some reason doesnt get any wear from the serpa. i couldnt find a fix for it other then carefully putting it in and taking it out

Stafford_1911

imported post

This is my first hard holster. I have always stuck to leather, nylon or neoprene depending on the application.

Out side of the finish wear I love the Serpa! I guess I will just deal with it unless it starts to scratch or scare the actual metal.

jerg_064

imported post

I get the same wear on the tennifer of my G17. I kinda think that I might still have enough room for moleskin though, that's a good idea if you got the room for it. I still got 2.5 months left in the sandbox though so I can't try it out yet.

reconvic

imported post

Most Kydex holsters will in time leave marks it is the nature of the beast.
They are good and unless it is a presentation gun I call them survivable marks lol.
I do have more leather holsters but not because the marks.
S/F Vic:D

carracer

imported post

My serpa did the same thing to my 1911. Really pissed me off! went to Kmart and got some "Mole Skin". Cut it to fit and glued it in. Was pretty difficult to do and also made the 1911 fit extremely tight. But, no more wear on the finish!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Most guys I know who are worried about install moleskin or similar as a liner at the wear points.

Both my Sig and XD (my primary carry sidearms) have holster wear marks on them in about the same places which doesn't concern me as they merely look like they are carried and used, which they are. Now when I get a few of the more high end pistols on my wish list I'll probably be much more concerned about wear marks and put forth the effort to install some moleskin.

Michigander

imported post

I was looking at Serpa's today, and I didn't like the rough inside. On Safariland holsters, the inside is suede lined. Definitely a good way to go if you like keeping your finish in good shape.

wally1120

imported post

If you are going to carry A gun in A holster for self defense you are going to get the wear marks on any gun with any holster that you choose. I think that the Serpa would be one of the holsters that wouldn`t put very much holster wear on A gun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wally1120 wrote:
If you are going to carry A gun in A holster for self defense you are going to get the wear marks on any gun with any holster that you choose. I think that the Serpa would be one of the holsters that wouldn`t put very much holster wear on A gun.
Actually, the Serpa will put more finish wear faster than most holsters IMO, but I still love mine.

Yata hey

Glock_21Carrier

imported post

Havent seen any wear yet on my XD's but I dont carry them regularly either. I wont carry a gun if Im afraid of hurting it personally. I like a gun with some love handles so to speak.

With my Glock 21 I havent seen a bit of wear in any shape or fasion so far, and I put her through hell regularly.

Glocky

wally1120

imported post

I guess A blued frame would make it easier to see the wear marks on the gun but mine is stainless so I am guessing that the wear is hiding in the frame. I think that the fobus is the worst holster for the wear marks on the gun. And if you buy A gun for self defense then you are going to be getting scratches on it from just about anything. If you carry A gun for self defense then it is not afarid to get some abuse if you have A good quality gun. It dosent matter if you buy the gun and wear it everyday or leave it in A locked safe for years it is still going to get scratched somehow or another.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

To paraphrase - Beware the man carrying a well worn/used gun. He probably knows how to use it.

Handgun wear [sup]2[/sup] = character

Yata hey

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Do you guys remember old barbers sharpening their razors on leather straps? What do you think happens to guns rubbing against leather holsters? The contact points get "sharpened" which results in holster wear. Kydex, believe it or not, wears less than leather, and Serpas rub away the wear at the contact points. It's going to happen with every holster it's a badge of honor. If it makes your gun look "not so pretty", then go have her refinished. Maybe add some rhinestones while your at it :p.

scampbell3

imported post

To add my .02,

If you are worried about wear marks on a particular handgun....then do not carry it.
Any holster WILL, over time, wear on the finish.

My G19 is very well worn from many many years of carry in leather and serpa holsters. I carry it to defend myself. I do not carry it to look pretty. My Glock is not a gun bench queen. I have many fine firearms that I will not carry for the reason of keeping them looking good.

My suggestion...find a good reliable handgun (GLOCK) to carry daily and understand that the activities of carrying will wear on the finish no matter what you do.
In the end, it is not how it looks...it is how it shoots when needed.

Carry a reliable firearm, and practice, practice, practice....

Carry on!!! (leave the bench queens at home)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

scampbell3 wrote:
To add my .02,

If you are worried about wear marks on a particular handgun....then do not carry it.

My G19 is very well worn from many many years of carry in leather and serpa holsters. I carry it to defend myself. I do not carry it to look pretty. My Glock is not a gun bench queen. I have many fine firearms that I will not carry for the reason of keeping them looking good.

My suggestion...find a good reliable handgun (GLOCK) to carry daily and understand that the activities of carrying will wear on the finish no matter what you do.

Welcome to OCDO scampbell3.

Good practical advise.

Yata hey

scampbell3

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
scampbell3 wrote:
To add my .02,

Welcome to OCDO scampbell3.

Good practical advise.

Yata hey

Thanks for the welcome Grapeshots. I have been using the site for reference for quite awhile now. Decided to actually register. I am an avid open carry supporter here in Delaware. Also I am a member of www.deloc.org.

:)