• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roadblock

RSXBoi

imported post

Hi everyone; I am new to the forums. I have been viewing some of the topics that all of you wonderful people have posted, and this has been a very resourceful website with most of my questions. I have a concealed weapons permit and I came accross a road block last night around 11 PM in Leeds, Alabama on Hwy 119 in Jefferson County. About 10 police cars were there and some LEO's were standing in the road with flashlight wands. When I slowed to a stop, I was asked to provide my license and proof of insurance. I have read some sources on the internetthat it is required by law to inform a police officer if you are carrying a concealed weapon. If I was carrying a concealed weapon, should I have informed the police officer? I thought about voluntarily telling him, but I thought since I didn't know if we are required to inform them, that if I told him, that it could've have escalated into a situation where he was asking me to step out of the car or something. Am I required in the state of alabama to inform a police officer if I am carrying a concealed weapon? If so, how should I expect to be treated?

N00blet45

imported post

http://www.ago.state.al.us/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

I see nothing saying that you have to disclose that you are in possession of a firearm to police. It could be somewhere else but I'm not up for scouring all the Alabama statutes.

I would say that you shouldn't volunteer that information, however do not lie if asked. Your experiences would likely vary based upon the officer you deal with. If the officer is knowledgeable on the law then you'll probably have a decent experience. If however the officer is ignorant on the law you might end up disarmed or worse.

kurtmax_0

imported post

No. Alabama has no law requiring you to notify an officer if you are carrying a firearm.

I would personally never volunteer information to an officer. If they ask if you are carrying a firearm (or anything else, for that matter), simply refuse to answer the question. Refusing to answer does not give them RAS or PC to search you or your vehicle. Don't lie, however, as that is illegal.

Daddyo

imported post

I usually open carry while in my car for easier access, so I suppose I would notify and hand over my permit if stopped just so there were no unpleasant surprises.

If it was in the glove box or under my shirt, then its nobody's business but mine.

Daddyo

imported post

True.

As a side point, you should always leave your proof of insurance in the car, somewhere.

I used to carry mine in my wallet. Years ago I had a very bad wreck and was taken to the hospital. The cops showed up to give me several tickets while I was still being stitched up. One was for no proof of insurance in the car. I argued that it was in the car while I was in it, but they informed me that in the car means "in the car".

cvickers

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
I usually open carry while in my car for easier access, so I suppose I would notify and hand over my permit if stopped just so there were no unpleasant surprises.

If it was in the glove box or under my shirt, then its nobody's business but mine.

I am not saying you have to notify if a gun is in your glove box, but if you keep your registration and insurance in the glove box you might want to tell an Officer there is a gun in the glove box before you open it and attempt to reach inside.

You might have a right to have it there but you don't want to be 'dead right'.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
True.

As a side point, you should always leave your proof of insurance in the car, somewhere.

I used to carry mine in my wallet. Years ago I had a very bad wreck and was taken to the hospital. The cops showed up to give me several tickets while I was still being stitched up. One was for no proof of insurance in the car. I argued that it was in the car while I was in it, but they informed me that in the car means "in the car".
I'd have fought that tooth and nail, what crap. So while you're laying there being stitched up the JBT revenue enforcement agent is bringing you tickets? nice.

I never leave the insurance card in the car. I have one in my wallet and my wife has one in her purse. I figure if the car or truck get stolen and in the off chance it gets pulled over before the vehicle is reported stolen not having an insurance card in the car may at least wake the cop up that something is amiss. Cant do that with the registration because there's only one of those. Well except on the motorcycle so I carry that in my wallet too.

Hope you healed up ok from the wreck.

macgulley

imported post

Daddyo wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe open carry in a vehicle is illegal in Alabama with or without a permit.

Mississippian

imported post

I believe open carry in a vehicle is illegal in Alabama with or without a permit.
No, a permit is required regardles if you are OCing or CCing in a vehicle.
13A-11-73

"No person shall carry a pistol in any vehical or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefore as hereinafter provided."

Elkad

imported post

If you leave your insurance card in the car (or the registration) you also tell any thief who happens to break in your address. If your car is at work or a mall, he may figure nobody is home. Add a garage door opener, and the chance of him taking a trip to your house gets pretty high.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

man that wording is pretty tricky to figure out, if I was a LEO and I was reading that, I would probably still be confused:?. The wording is weird, and the back of my permit , says something completely different.