• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 20?

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

I am currently OC'ing a Glock 26 and it does not feel right.
I want to get a full size Glock 20, I figure I should get the most powerful one I can get.

I would like to hear other peoples opinions regarding me getting something so powerful for self defense. Is it too much? would I have a really hard time in court if I ever have to use it?

All opinions are welcome. I would like to hear the good and the bad in regards to getting that.

As far as Ammo Price I do not mind.

As well I would like to note that I do want a Glock but would like to hear what other high power handgun would be something to look at.

And since im asking. Where would be the cheapest place to get it?

Woodchuck

imported post

I bought a G20 2 months ago. I have shot around 200 rounds through it without a hiccup. I bought it for an OC gun as well as a hunting handgun. Problem I have is finding ammo for the dang thing without spending $1 a round for everyday shooting.

I personally think that you should carry the biggest thing your comfortable with. At times that might be the G20, others it might be a little hammerless 38. Totally dependent on situation and your comfort level. If your worried about over-penetration with the 10mm just get frangible rounds for defense.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

Would I be better off getting a Glock 37? as far as how available the Gun itself is?
I have found plenty of .45 guns when I was picking mine out. But no place I went had anything 10mm.

Would the .45 be a significant difference?

Also is there a big difference between .45 GAP and .45 ACP?

Flintlock

imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote:
Would I be better off getting a Glock 37? as far as how available the Gun itself is?
The Glock 37 is a fine weapon, but the Glock 20 is a beast. You would not be sorry.

Would the .45 be a significant difference?
Yes, a significantreduction in speed and energy with the .45.

Also is there a big difference between .45 GAP and .45 ACP?
They are two totally different cartidges and you will probablyhave a harder time finding weapons and ammo for that cartridge than you would with the 10mm.

Flintlock

imported post

I would like to hear other peoples opinions regarding me getting something so powerful for self defense. Is it too much? would I have a really hard time in court if I ever have to use it?
According to articles written byMassad Ayoob in Combat Handguns Magazine, he believes that using a 10mm in self-defenseshould be easily defensible in court.

All opinions are welcome. I would like to hear the good and the bad in regards to getting that
The recoil is a little more than you would feel from a .45 but the Glock platform is sound and if you can shoot .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, or a .41 magnum, you should not have a problem at all.

This is the best place I have found to purchase ammo.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php
Support your local gun shop or go to Gunbroker.com for the gun, Doubletap or Buffalo Bore for the ammo.

Jizzzle

imported post

i own and carry a G20 on a daily basis.

I've shot multiple thousands of rounds thru it and have not had a malfunction yet of any kind. And thats with reloaded ammo and factory range/personal defense types.

i have put a 3.5lb trigger connector in it and it's otherwise stock. i can hit shooting clays on the berm at the range at 50 yards off hand about5 out of 10 times give or take. so it's rediculously accurate.

as far as kick, it's nothing uncomfortable. my 5ft 2in tall 110 pound wife shoots it offhand with corbons without difficulty. so i hope that helps you out there.

as far as ammo availability.. it's not good atm. but, i reload. so it's not bad when i can find primers. unfortunatly large pistol primers are hard to get ahold of for a respectable price atm.

comparing the .45 to the 10mm isn't fair to the .45 to be honest. if you look at anything but the 10mm lite loads. they blow it out of the water.

i think that i have pictures somewhere of an experiment me and a few friends did. where we took an old flak vest (the kind with the lead plates) and put it on a frame we made out of homemade ballistic gel with a 2x4 to simulate a sternum running right behind the lead plate inside the gel. (I have no idea how durable a sternum is we just wanted something to put in it to see what happens) I'm not a professional by any means.

anyway we shot 180 grain corbons through my g20 into center mass and also my buddies glock 21sf using his 230 grain speer gold dots.

2 rounds from the 10mm and we checked the target. 1 hit on the "sternum" and it dented the lead enough that it shattered the 2x4. the other round missed the lead plate (i jerked the trigger)and passed completely through the vest the gel and part ofthe jacketing was found in the back of the jacket.

new gel set up (same vest and plates) with the .45. the plates where dented but neither shot broke the 2x4 (both where on target and lined up with the 2x4).

we did a few more rounds of this (we had 4 targets to waste) and over all it came down to 4 broken 2x4s due to the 10mm and 0 for the 45. the 45 had issues breaking through the vest and gel. if it missed the lead the vestand thegel took off quite a bit of velocity and some of the rounds only had an inch or 2 of penetration after passing throughthe vest.in .45s defense itwas a heavy duty flak jacket. however the 10mms where like lazers through it.

it was a fun day.

this is myuneducated2 cents.

edited for my horrendous spelling :)

Article1section23

imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote: I would go with the 23 or 22. I personally carry either a 27 or 22 myself....what's wrong with your 26?, other than its a 9mm :)....lol.

If you are going to carry full size, take a look at the HK45. Great gun....Not sure how others feel, but I'm of the opinion, that you should use and carry the same ammo that your local and state officials do, hence, glock .40's. Plus, 27 will take the same 15 rnd mag as the 22 does (sure you know that already).

Try www.gunbroker.com

Good luck.

Michigander

imported post

I know a smaller framed woman who carries 2 Glock 20's everywhere she goes. Although I'm not fond of Glocks, I think it's a sensible platform if you want something relatively cheap and very effective.

Jizzzle

imported post

.40s are super lite versions of the 10mm.. it just doesn't make sense to me to take everything good about the 10mm and strip it away and you are left with the .40..

why would youshoot/carry the same ammo that your state officials shoot/carry?

the niche the .40 fills is one that the 9mm already occupied. the only reason people buy .40sis cause they don't wanna be looked down upon forbuying a 9mm cause .45skick to much.boooooo.

and if you can't handle the recoil of a G20 then i don't know what to tell you.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I am currently OC'ing a Glock 26 and it does not feel right.
I want to get a full size Glock 20, I figure I should get the most powerful one I can get.

All opinions are welcome. I would like to hear the good and the bad in regards to getting that.

As well I would like to note that I do want a Glock but would like to hear what other high power handgun would be something to look at.

Go to a range that offers pistols for rent. Shoot a few different Glocks and decide which one you like the most, then buy it and enjoy it. More likely than not, my next purchase will be a G20.

n16ht5

imported post

I have G20 and I love it. Get one and never look back.

Double Tap makes the best ammo hands down

JSK333

imported post

The G20 is great, all-around! And with the right holster, it's easily concealable too.

Ditto on Double-Tap ammo being the best out there for 10mm. I was around when the owner hadn't opened business yet and was just hand-loading it as a hobby.

Re: 45 vs. 10mm, it's true there's no comparison. However, .45 Super, which can be shot in most .45 guns, rivals if not beats 10mm ballistics. But I still prefer 10mm's (properly loaded) combination of frontal area + weight + speed.

Michigander

imported post

You guys are making me want a 10! The problem is that I'm not fond of the Glock action, nor do I want a single stack. Might have to settle for one anyway since they seem to be the only solid and affordable 10mm option at this point. :uhoh:

I wish Sig made 10 mm P226's or something along those lines. THAT would be a perfect carry gun.

reconvic

imported post

A 10 mm gun is great for hunting but not for S/D. It will most likely go thru the person and possibly hit a bystander. There is a thing called over kill, Might as well get a .500 Smith Stick with a round that will stop a person and stay in the body like a .45
S/F. Vic

Flintlock

imported post

Michigander wrote:
You guys are making me want a 10! The problem is that I'm not fond of the Glock action, nor do I want a single stack. Might have to settle for one anyway since they seem to be the only solid and affordable 10mm option at this point. :uhoh:

I wish Sig made 10 mm P226's or something along those lines. THAT would be a perfect carry gun.

It would be nice if HK and Sig made offerings in 10mm. The Glock 20 is the most practicle for me for my uses and environment but there are several companies that produce 10mm firearms.

http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm02.html

My #1 choice would be a Wilson Combat CQB in 10mm - held one in my hand and it felt like it was made for me and the craftsmanship was second to none- or one of the new 10mm revolvers, but if I were on a budget and I didn't like the Glock platform, I would get an EAA Witness.

Flintlock

imported post

reconvic wrote:
A 10 mm gun is great for hunting but not for S/D.
This is a blanket statement. What are you basing this onexactly?

It will most likely go thru the person and possibly hit a bystander.
Do you have a link to prove this theory? While the 10mm was designed for penetration depth of 12-14 inches in ballistic gelatin, this test involving phone books shows a much different story.

http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IVG7.html

There is a thing called over kill, Might as well get a .500 Smith Stick with a round that will stop a person and stay in the body like a .45
S/F. Vic
The .45 is a nice caliber round but it also has is limitations. There is no such thing as over kill. One should fire only when their life (or perhaps others)is in imminent danger or they are about to receive serious physical injury.At that point, it shouldn't matter what type of defensive tool you were using from frying pans, to firearms.

Additionally,one has to take into account many factors when choosing a firearm to carry, including penetration, speed, weather, energy, and wildlife factors.

I posted the pic below for fun

10mm-1.jpg

Michigander

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
My #1 choice would be a Wilson Combat CQB in 10mm - held one in my hand and it felt like it was made for me and the craftsmanship was second to none- or one of the new 10mm revolvers, but if I were on a budget and I didn't like the Glock platform, I would get an EAA Witness.
Don't really want a single stack, and I don't really trust the witness platform, having seen and read about a fair number of jams with them when they get dirty.

I can settle for a Glock, but it'll need a new barrel, and a modified trigger.

TehGruu

imported post

Lol, that's a pretty pic. :) Eh, get a 1911...Personally, I'm a believer in .45. However, people get killed by .22s as well. The thing is, get what fits you better. Ergonomics though, 1911s to me fit best. I used to be a fan of the drastic plastic. The first handgun I got when I turned 21 was a G23. A month later I got a G26 for my wife at the time. Both are solid little pistols that will do their job. I'm 29 now and only own 1 plastic gun, a Sig Pro 2022. I will never buy a Glock again, not knocking them, just my preference.

I'm 29 now and don't want to call it maturity as a shooter, my shooting style just evolved to the .45 round and the proven 1911 platform. Ultimately, it falls back to what the individual shooter is most comfortable, a DE .50 AE will do you no good if you can't hit the broad side of the proverbial barn. If you are getting a weapon for daily carry for SD then don't let ammo availability be a determining factor. Shooting isn't cheap. The only time that ammo availability should be a factor is if you are looking for a range gun only, or one for competition that you will master. But, all of this being said, that's just my opinion after 3 beers and I could be wrong.

-Gruu

One final thought, the H&K USP is a really fun platform and looks damned scary if you're on the wrong end. That's the only plastic gun I miss.

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

What I mean that it does not feel right is its very small and is a great CC gun. But would much rather prefer to have a full sized firearm when OC'ing.

I definitely want a G20 now. I absolutely love that picture with the mushroom cloud the 10mm leaves. I would rather have that for self defense over anything else on that list.

I think I can handle the larger gun. I am 6'5" and weigh over 400 pounds. Which is the main reason I think carrying a small gun looks weird.

All great responses. Thank you everybody for your input. As I needed to use alot of my Glock funds for personal reasons I will probably sell my 26 and get a 20.

And I want a Glock because I just like them and always wanted one. I am only 21 and just got my first hand gun (the 26) a few weeks ago. So I am still setting my standards.

reconvic

imported post

Ben the real Glockmeister, before he sold his place in Mesa Az. Was a good friend and very good shot he actually invented the comp. models for Glock, He moved to Israel to care for his mother? He carried a 10mm always and I told him and he agreed shot placement counts more then the bullet so hit the range more often and worry less on the bullet to use.
S/F. Vic