Thread: AK sling

Post imported post

I just ordered a Tapco stock for my WASR and was thinkin about getting a single point sling for it. anyone try this yet? I havent received the stock yet but from what iv heard the pin that holds the sling wouldnt be strong enough

ETA - its a side folding stock

Post imported post

no? no ones done this before?

Post imported post

East German (DDR) grayweb sling. Work good... last long time!

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    I just ordered a Tapco stock for my WASR and was thinkin about getting a single point sling for it. anyone try this yet? I havent received the stock yet but from what iv heard the pin that holds the sling wouldnt be strong enough

I'm all for keeping AK natural and not trying to turn them into an AR-15 wannabe. No offense, but all this tacticool crap looks like **** on AKs

Post imported post

yea but this isnt to be "tacticool" im trying to reduce space by adding the sidefolder and the single point sling is standard issue for our M4's by our unit so thats just what im used too

Post imported post

It's about hittin' what you shoot at w/o setting your hand on fire. That's a dot sight. The upper hand guard is Russian.Nuthin' tacti-cool... just practical. That particular gun is prob'ly as old as you are.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    It's about hittin' what you shoot at w/o setting your hand on fire. That's a dot sight. The upper hand guard is Russian.Nuthin' tacti-cool... just practical. That particular gun is prob'ly as old as you are.
    Maybe practical but still looks butchered. AK is not an AR, for better and for worse. However old this rig is, it's tacticooling. AR is meant to have all these accessories, AK is not. Even though it's still a modern weapon that is a standard issue in Russian and some other armies, it's also a somewhat historic and iconic weapon, probably the most famous small arm in the world.

What's next, you gonna put a dot sight and a pistol grip on Mosin-Nagant in the name of practicality? Then install Surefire tactical light/laser and a front grip onKentucky rifle? Sure, it's practical!

Photobelow shows exactly how AK-74s are issued to the regular army nowadays. Nothing tacticool, you see.

Post imported post

And this oneshows AK-74 U (U for Ukorochecnnyi (Russian for "shortened")) which is issued to police, paratroopers and some special SWAT-like teams - also very basic and simple, just how it was meant to be.

Post imported post

AK-74's have front pistol grips. That sight mount is PRC 'issue'. M-N's had 2x optics in WWII... (I owned one). I don't just look at it... I shoot it. Target aquisition with the dot is dead on and immediate. It's boresighted that way. Also has a pair of 75rd AKM drum magazines from 20 years ago. Anyway... who's shootin' this thing? You or me?

I don't just have pictures of 'em...I OWN them!

This is my AR: (M-16 upper)

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    AK-74's have front pistol grips. That sight mount is PRC 'issue'. M-N's had 2x optics in WWII... (I owned one). I don't just look at it... I shoot it. Target aquisition with the dot is dead on and immediate. It's boresighted that way. Also has a pair of 75rd AKM drum magazines from 20 years ago. Anyway... who's shootin' this thing? You or me?

I don't just have pictures of 'em...I OWN them!

This is my AR: (M-16 upper)
    Russian (natural)AK-74 DO NOT have front pistol grips. The pictures I linked are the normal ones issued in Russia. The ones with front grips are foreign aftermarket modifications. Trust me on this one.

Sight mount, maybe, but not the dot sight. Dot sight (while efficent) looks out of place. And still it's PRC mod, not the true AK.

Some M-N did have optics, but they sure as hell didn't look like the modern ones.

Drum mags do exist but they were notmade for AK. They were made for Degtyaryov and Kalashnikov machine guns (as well as the 40 rd mags), but they do fit into some AK assault rifles as well. For the record, I have nothing against those, they are original.

For the record, I also OWN an AK. And I also handled and fired an actual full auto standard issue AK-74 at a Russian military base several years ago.

P.S. Yes, calm down, it's your AK, put whatever accessories you want on it. I'm just saying that they are notnative to the actual AK-47 and AK-74and AK rifles arenot designed for these accessories. That's fact. I'm also saying that they look completely out of place, but that's my personal opinion.

Post imported post

I've been shot at with AK's, RPK's, M-N's, SKS, Dragonov'sand Type 56's. Chinese, Soviet, Bulgarian, Romanian, E. German 'n whatever else came thru Uncle Ho's pipeline(s). If the dinks could'a tricked 'em out... they would'a. This ain't a fashion statement... these are killing instruments. Anything that will add to the efficiency of that w/o excessive weight is a go. This is a Viet Cong Type 56 mfg by North China Industries (NORINCO) War Trophy.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    I've been shot at with AK's, RPK's, M-N's, SKS, Dragonov'sand Type 56's. Chinese, Soviet, Bulgarian, Romanian, E. German 'n whatever else came thru Uncle Ho's pipeline(s). If the dinks could'a tricked 'em out... they would'a. This ain't a fashion statement... these are killing instruments. Anything that will add to the efficiency of that w/o excessive weight is a go. This is a Viet Cong Type 56 mfg by North China Industries (NORINCO) War Trophy.
    I agree with that. And if you plan to take your AK and engage in full blown combat with it, trick it out with whatever makes it more efficent, by all means. I would too, don't get me wrong.

But since most of us (except forthe very paranoidkind)own military-style "assault" rifles more as a novelty/collection/to have fun with items, I'd say it makes sense to keep them as they were designed.

In other words, I don't see much reason to put a bunch of non-native 21st century accessories on a rifle they don't belong to, unless you are planning on using it in actual combat (and by combat I don't mean shooting a home invader).

That's all I was trying to say

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    And by the way, congrats on your 2000th post!

Post imported post

if you have a fighting rifle and you DON'T have a sling, you are wrong.

The sling mount is fine.

Post imported post

I have a sling on every one of my rifles because I find a sling should be on any rifle intended to be fired at any distance because you can loop your arm in them and use it to steady your aim. However, I do not believe there is a way to do that with a single point sling, which is why I've never had one.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
    I agree with that. And if you plan to take your AK and engage in full blown combat with it, trick it out with whatever makes it more efficent, by all means. I would too, don't get me wrong.

But since most of us (except forthe very paranoidkind)own military-style "assault" rifles more as a novelty/collection/to have fun with items, I'd say it makes sense to keep them as they were designed.

In other words, I don't see much reason to put a bunch of non-native 21st century accessories on a rifle they don't belong to, unless you are planning on using it in actual combat (and by combat I don't mean shooting a home invader).

That's all I was trying to say
    I live within 25 miles of the Mexican border... inan Open Range areaof the Sonora Desert. I don't keep these things as toys. We don't all live in cities.

Post imported post

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:

It should be fine. I run two-points on mine and have never had an issue with the roll pin that tapco use for a sling point. Practicing transition drills, where the rifle istossed/dropped over my back repeatedly,has not caused the first sign of any type of damage or wear what so ever. I can't foresee a single point sling generating more shock on it than that but who knows.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote: That'd be the one to get, y0
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.