• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Couple Questions

Drachmyre

imported post

Hey there. I am a Nevada resident with pretty much his entire family living in Oregon. I travel around quite a bit and find the huge variance of rules very annoying, but I suppose im preaching to the choir. A couple questions for Oregon...

Generally speaking I transport my firearms as such... the panther .308 in an airplane aproved hardcase, double padlocked. The Springfield XDM also in its own hard case, double locked. Magazines for both are locked in a 3rd case, but not unloaded. All three of these cases are chained to one of the back seats. Generally I cover all 3 of the cases with a throw blanket.

1> So in Portland I am supposed to unload all of the magazines even though they are not accessable and stored seperate from the weapons?

2> Am I not supposed to cover the cases with a blanket? It seems like leaving the cases exposed is an invitation to someone stealing them, even locked up as they are. I really wouldn't want some junkie wandering around with the panther.

Thanks.

T.

Phssthpok

imported post

Drachmyre wrote:
Hey there. I am a Nevada resident with pretty much his entire family living in Oregon. I travel around quite a bit and find the huge variance of rules very annoying, but I suppose im preaching to the choir. A couple questions for Oregon...

Generally speaking I transport my firearms as such... the panther .308 in an airplane aproved hardcase, double padlocked. The Springfield XDM also in its own hard case, double locked. Magazines for both are locked in a 3rd case, but not unloaded. All three of these cases are chained to one of the back seats. Generally I cover all 3 of the cases with a throw blanket.

1> So in Portland I am supposed to unload all of the magazines even though they are not accessable and stored seperate from the weapons?
Yes, and no.

According to Portland city code you may not have a firearm AND that firearm's clip or magazine in your possession if EITHER of them are loaded.

HOWEVER, this is a restriction on the possession of an "element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition" that is not specifically authorized by, and exceeds state law as enacted by the legislature. For a breakdown of my thoughts on this, see my post A Loaded Question.

It's up to you to determine your risk level.

2> Am I not supposed to cover the cases with a blanket? It seems like leaving the cases exposed is an invitation to someone stealing them, even locked up as they are. I really wouldn't want some junkie wandering around with the panther.

Covering locked and secured cases is fine, and something I would recommend while they are in the car. There is no definition for 'concealed' in Oregon law, so if a cop REALLY wanted to yank your chain, they could bust you just for having it cased...a blanket would be moot at that point.