• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Burglary victim turns table on suspect

Armed

imported post

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/Local_Virginia_Beach_Burglary_Tottenham_Lane_Shooting_Wavy_20090629

Burglary victim turns
table on suspect
Updated: Monday, 29 Jun 2009, 6:46 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 29 Jun 2009, 6:46 PM EDT

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A Virginia Beach woman woke up and found a man standing just feet from her bed. Police say he had a knife, but what the suspect didn't know was that the woman had a weapon of her own and she was not afraid to use it.

"The woman in the other end of the phone went crazy, she was like ma'am are you okay," said Lori Burton, who was talking to a Virginia Beach dispatcher.

"Are you okay?" asked the dispatcher. "Have you been shot?"

"I said 'no I'm the one with the gun,'" added Burton.

Virginia Beach's Lori Burton was on the phone with 911 when she pulled the trigger. Her target was a teenager police say broke into her home.

"If you are coming into rob some place when you don't know somebody's home, [and] you realize somebody's home, you leave," added Burton. "He didn't leave."

Minutes before Burton called for help and grabbed her gun she woke up to the teen standing in her bedroom. She says it was a terrifying couple of seconds.

"I think it happened that quick," said Burton. "I wasn't thinking anything except that this was bad."

Police say the suspect ,18-year-old Jason Perry, went downstairs, but soon came back. That's when the sound of gun fire rang out. "I just shot," added Burton. "I was pointed in the vicinity and I just shot."

After the shot, police tell WAVY.com Perry ran from the Tottenham Lane home. He was arrested a short time later. We're told he was carrying a knife.

"[It was] the middle of the night in my home," said Burton. "[He was] uninvited and stealing things of mine. That's not good and you're coming into my room. Yeah, I'm going to use it."

It's been almost a week since the encounter and for the Burton the affects still linger. "I'm certainly much more aware of who is around me at all times," added Burton.

Jason Perry will be back in court July 8. For now he still sits behind bars inside the Virginia Beach City Jail

curtiswr

imported post

Is the article trying to get sympathy for Perry by calling him a teenager? 18 = adult.

Regardless though... good for Burton. I wonder where she kept her pistol if she was able to retrieve it easily when he was right next to her bed?

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

"I said 'no I'm the one with the gun,'" added Burton.

Army of darkens fan and a gun owner? I am impressed!

:celebrate

Good Ash, Bad Ash ... I 'm the one with the gun. -Ash

armydark8.jpg

ChinChin

imported post

If I’m reading the article correctly, the victim woke up to find criminal in her bedroom. He exits and then comes back into the room after waking up the victim.

Some people are stupid enough to NEED shooting.

Shame she missed him, nowthe taxpayers get to pay for a trial, criminal defense and most likely a prolonged jail stint. A .14 cent alternitive solution would have saved tax payers a fortune.