• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good afternoon

ourmanthejoker

imported post

I have been on a small hiatus from the boards in nevada, but not in california. I've been OC'ing in the Palmdale, Lancaster, rosamond, cal city loop. It's been most entertaining to educate the people of california about their rights!

An update about my works:

-a website for my political campaign for 2011 is in the works. Looks like I'll be pushing for Nevada Legislature.
-Open carry all over in cali

Anywho. I just wanted to drop in a give you all an update. Stay safe!

-david

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Cool. I've UOC'ed a small amount in California, but not nearly as much as you from the sound of it.

Good luck with your campaign.

Edited to add:

If you make it to the legislature, it would be awesome if we could get a bill providing for complete preemption against local laws for all weapons, and a bill to carry all weapons concealed without a permit too. ( In addition to guns, melee weapons are restricted. )

It seems to me that the preemption laws that currently exist are insufficient even for firearms since localities continue to maintain local ordinances, the AG and others think they are allowed to do so and actually looking at the wording it is possible that the arguments of the legal researcher under the AG could have some merit. SB92 as introduced definitely looked like it would have provided preemption, but I'm not so sure about SB92 as enrolled.
(http://leg.state.nv.us/74th/Bills/SB/SB92.pdf - SB92 as introduced) (http://leg.state.nv.us/74th/Bills/SB/SB92_EN.pdf - SB92 as enrolled)
The ideal bill would all for the repeal of all local weapons ordinances.

I like the Alaska CCW system where they have optional permits that only exist for the purpose of maximum reciprocity with other states.

Oh and eliminating some gun free zones would be nice too! (Such as the Nevada System of Higher Education.)

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

By the way, I obviously agree on all those ideas. How would you rank priorities/ease of passage on them?

My initial stab is:

1.) Complete preemption of firearms laws, except discharge (2007 SB92 as introduced)
2.) Elimination of gun free zones (NRS 202.265)
3.) Elimination of concealed gun free zones (NRS 202.3673)
4.) Elimination of qualification requirement for each concealed firearm (NRS 202.3657)
5.) AK/VT style CCW permit
6.) Complete preemption of all weapons laws
7.) Complete preemption of firearms laws, including discharge (NRS 202.280, NRS 202.285, and NRS 202.287 already cover discharge)

One more I'd like to add is a change to NRS 202.3688, allowing permit holders from any other US state to carry concealed here. In New Hampshire, a district court ruled that the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the US Constitution required that state accept petitoner's out of state CCW, laying the groundwork for potentially requiring that state to recognize all out-of-state permits. See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum37/25921.html for the OCDO thread.

Another I'd like to add. Denial of CCW denial based on a single DUI (NRS 202.3657-3(d)1) - "habitual user of drugs or alcohol" considers a single violation of NRS 484.379 to be indication of as much. It's very confusing because a DUI can be issued for a BAC of 0.08, but NRS 202.257 states a person is not guilty of CUI (carrying under the influence) until he reaches 0.10 BAC. So technically a single DUI for 0.09 would be grounds for denial of a CCW permit, even though the possession of a firearm at the same time as the DUI would not be a problem, at least legally. Really though, since Nevada is a SHALL ISSUE, it should deny permits only for reasons which would disqualify a person from possession a firearm period, and a non-violent misdemeanor certainly wouldn't qualify.