Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Came across my first fellow OC'er out and about (and it was a female)

Centurion

Post imported post

Ok, so it was my girlfriend. Her airweight came in last week, so besides the open-carry picnic, we broke her open-carry-cherry on Sunday at Kohls.

She then surprised me today OC'ing all by herself at Kohls in Muskego (and I think she went one other place, but I forget where)

I asked her how it went, and if anyone asked her about it. She said a female at Kohls said "are you a cop" lol

She said it was very empowering to know she was taking care to protect herself if need be.

Post imported post

Cheater...can't count your gf as the first fellow OCer you came across!

Haha, the gun almost looks like a toy. Nice to see her carrying though. Good job Hugh's gf!
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Post imported post

Great to see it Hugh

I can't get my wife to barely entertain the idea of OCing. She back all of us doing it but has no interest in carrying herself.

Centurion

Post imported post

Cheater...can't count your gf as the first fellow OCer you came across!
    Ha, I know.. totally doesn't count. I'm still hoping for my first!

I am proud of her though. She's a great ambassador for the cause. She intends to carry as much as possible, so she'll expose a great number of people to the non-event of lawful open-carry.

Banned

Post imported post

That's the greatest, well done!

Post imported post

Excellent! But I hope she didn't buy you those plaid shorts.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Centurion

Post imported post

Come on! You don't think Plaid is my color?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

plaid shorts.. and i wanna see you wearing her gun :P

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    Come on! You don't think Plaid is my color?
    That's an evasive answer, not a denial!
    A. Gold

Post imported post

Very cool....

Post imported post

I have a question for you knowledgabla oc'ers. I was invited to july 4th parade and stuff in butler.anyone know how cops there are on it and where schools are around131st
    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
    -Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor

Now I lay me down to sleep
    Beside my bed a Tuarus I keep
    If I awake to find you inside
    A coroner's van will be your next ride.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

iceman71 wrote:
    I have a question for you knowledgabla oc'ers. I was invited to july 4th parade and stuff in butler.anyone know how cops there are on it and where schools are around131st
    Iceman,
    Instead of "Giving You a Fish", I'm going to "Teach You to Fish".

You can find school locations for any city in the USA by first going to Google Maps at http://maps.google.com/ and then enterin
    g schools loc: Any City State in the search bar. So for Butler, you would enter schools loc: Butler WI

You can zoom in on the area and the schools will be identified by a description on the left side of the screen and corresponding letters on the map. You'll have to figure out your own 1000 foot radius from the school property line. The "F11" key will give you a full screen display. Hit F11 again to return to normal display.

Dave

Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Banned

Post imported post

If you use Google Earth, it has a ruler that can measure the 1000ft distance and is very accurate.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    Ok, so it was my girlfriend. Her airweight came in last week, so besides the open-carry picnic, we broke her open-carry-cherry on Sunday at Kohls.
    It looks like she's solved the typical lady's problemof the gunbutt jabbing her in the ribs by wearing hip-hugger type jeans so the holster position is lower. Is this an accurate statement? My wife is looking for an offset holster so she can wear regular-cut pants, or a dress with a belt.

By the way, it also looks like she is wearing a retention paddle holster without a belt. Couldn't a bad guy just pull the whole thing out of her jeans, thus disarming her? Just wondered.

Dave
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Centurion

Post imported post

hm... as for what kind of jeans. I have no idea! lol

The paddle hoster with its attachment assembly holds the gun far enough away from the body so it doesn't poke.

As for the retention holster/paddle. With the plastic barb that is on the bottom angled up, just the thick denim waist seam of the jeans catches that barb and keeps you from pulling the holster off. when she put it on I gave it a hard tug up and it didn't come off. Its a valid point though and later today when we go shooting I'm gong to make a point of tugging on it more to see how well it stays.

She does wear a belt frequently so if needed, I'll have her make a point to wear it more often.

Having said all that, a retention holster itself is not all that complicated. I think pulling the paddle off her pants would be harder than a thug just coming up behind her and pulling the gun out by hitting the release. To pull just the paddle off with the gun in it you'd first have to get close enough to be able to make a straight-up verticle pull (sideways, forward, backward, or down, you'd still have retention from your waistband and control to whip your hips away and elbow jab or kick.

I guess my point is if you can get close enough to get a grasp of the whole gun/holster assembly and give it a straight up pull hard enough to rip ot from her waistband, you'd just as easily be able to stick you finger on the release and get it off.

A retention holder should NEVER substitute for the primary firearm retention method which is spatial awareness. If someone of nefarious intent is close enough to your personal space to get a hand on your gun, your primary retention system has already failed. You should have seen them coming and already prepared. Be aware of your environment and surroundings and always be subtly scanning your environment and when in tight surroundings like a check-out line, keep your body between others and your firearm.

Post imported post

And I thank you for it.
    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"

Post imported post

Post imported post

Hugh ,

So how did the Kimber shoot yesterday?

Centurion

Post imported post

Shot great! its totally different shooting with the laser-grip sights. My first time ever shooting with those.

Flechers is a GREAT range. OC'd my airweight (but didn't shoot it)

Great to meet the guys there. Great to meet guys that support Open Carry

So were you one of the guys there? Or did I tip my hand on here that I was going to the range?

Post imported post

Good to hear. The laser grips are a great addition!

Fletcher's has been a customer of mine , for almost 20 years. Ihappen to beon the phone with them ,when you came in.

Centurion

Post imported post

lol small world!

The lasergrips are great. I intend to keep the Kimber with the lasergrips as my "bedside" gun

I felt weird shooting with the lasergrips. Almost like I had "bad form" since you don't have to look down the sights to aim. A few times I held the gun about halfway up in my normal stance and shot. Just totally weird to not have teh gun at eye level to aim.

Post imported post

I am flat out in love with my Kimber TLE II, with C.T. laser grips. I don't carry it yet, but it is the best auto I have ever held. I also put C.T. laser grips on my five shot .38. It is like a new gun for me. To not have to aim is odd, and does take some time to get used to it.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    As for the retention holster/paddle. With the plastic barb that is on the bottom angled up, just the thick denim waist seam of the jeans catches that barb and keeps you from pulling the holster off. when she put it on I gave it a hard tug up and it didn't come off. Its a valid point though and later today when we go shooting I'm gong to make a point of tugging on it more to see how well it stays.
    I'd like to second the fact that it's hard as heck to get a serpa paddle holster off. It takes me at least a minute to get it off when I'm wearing it and WANT it to come off. Those barbs hugh is talking about really stick in there and it's a two handed operation to get it removed from my pants. IMO, a belt definitely helps give the holster a more solid feel and makes the pistol easier to draw but without it, it's still hard to get the holster off.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Centurion

Post imported post

Those barbs hugh is talking about really stick in there and it's a two handed operation to get it removed from my pants
    Yup, definitely. As long as you have jean/type pants on with the thick waist seam, it will catch very well and hold. With a belt even more. Its nearly impossible (without ripping your pants) to pull the holster off one handed. It really does take 2 hands.

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    Those barbs hugh is talking about really stick in there and it's a two handed operation to get it removed from my pants
    Yup, definitely. As long as you have jean/type pants on with the thick waist seam, it will catch very well and hold. With a belt even more. Its nearly impossible (without ripping your pants) to pull the holster off one handed. It really does take 2 hands.
    Yeah, it's a two-handed operation to get it removed from my pants too... oh wait, you're talking about holsters!

:P
    A. Gold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast