• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Came across my first fellow OC'er out and about (and it was a female)

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Ok, so it was my girlfriend. Her airweight came in last week, so besides the open-carry picnic, we broke her open-carry-cherry on Sunday at Kohls.

She then surprised me today OC'ing all by herself at Kohls in Muskego (and I think she went one other place, but I forget where)

I asked her how it went, and if anyone asked her about it. She said a female at Kohls said "are you a cop" lol

She said it was very empowering to know she was taking care to protect herself if need be.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Cheater...can't count your gf as the first fellow OCer you came across!

Haha, the gun almost looks like a toy. Nice to see her carrying though. Good job Hugh's gf!

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Cheater...can't count your gf as the first fellow OCer you came across!
Ha, I know.. totally doesn't count. I'm still hoping for my first!

I am proud of her though. She's a great ambassador for the cause. She intends to carry as much as possible, so she'll expose a great number of people to the non-event of lawful open-carry.

iceman71

imported post

I have a question for you knowledgabla oc'ers. I was invited to july 4th parade and stuff in butler.anyone know how cops there are on it and where schools are around131st

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

iceman71 wrote:
I have a question for you knowledgabla oc'ers. I was invited to july 4th parade and stuff in butler.anyone know how cops there are on it and where schools are around131st

Iceman,
Instead of "Giving You a Fish", I'm going to "Teach You to Fish".

You can find school locations for any city in the USA by first going to Google Maps at http://maps.google.com/ and then enterin
g schools loc: Any City State in the search bar. So for Butler, you would enter schools loc: Butler WI

You can zoom in on the area and the schools will be identified by a description on the left side of the screen and corresponding letters on the map. You'll have to figure out your own 1000 foot radius from the school property line. The "F11" key will give you a full screen display. Hit F11 again to return to normal display.

Dave

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Ok, so it was my girlfriend. Her airweight came in last week, so besides the open-carry picnic, we broke her open-carry-cherry on Sunday at Kohls.
It looks like she's solved the typical lady's problem of the gunbutt jabbing her in the ribs by wearing hip-hugger type jeans so the holster position is lower. Is this an accurate statement? My wife is looking for an offset holster so she can wear regular-cut pants, or a dress with a belt.

By the way, it also looks like she is wearing a retention paddle holster without a belt. Couldn't a bad guy just pull the whole thing out of her jeans, thus disarming her? Just wondered.

Dave

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

hm... as for what kind of jeans. I have no idea! lol

The paddle hoster with its attachment assembly holds the gun far enough away from the body so it doesn't poke.

As for the retention holster/paddle. With the plastic barb that is on the bottom angled up, just the thick denim waist seam of the jeans catches that barb and keeps you from pulling the holster off. when she put it on I gave it a hard tug up and it didn't come off. Its a valid point though and later today when we go shooting I'm gong to make a point of tugging on it more to see how well it stays.

She does wear a belt frequently so if needed, I'll have her make a point to wear it more often.

Having said all that, a retention holster itself is not all that complicated. I think pulling the paddle off her pants would be harder than a thug just coming up behind her and pulling the gun out by hitting the release. To pull just the paddle off with the gun in it you'd first have to get close enough to be able to make a straight-up verticle pull (sideways, forward, backward, or down, you'd still have retention from your waistband and control to whip your hips away and elbow jab or kick.

I guess my point is if you can get close enough to get a grasp of the whole gun/holster assembly and give it a straight up pull hard enough to rip ot from her waistband, you'd just as easily be able to stick you finger on the release and get it off.

A retention holder should NEVER substitute for the primary firearm retention method which is spatial awareness. If someone of nefarious intent is close enough to your personal space to get a hand on your gun, your primary retention system has already failed. You should have seen them coming and already prepared. Be aware of your environment and surroundings and always be subtly scanning your environment and when in tight surroundings like a check-out line, keep your body between others and your firearm.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Shot great! its totally different shooting with the laser-grip sights. My first time ever shooting with those.

Flechers is a GREAT range. OC'd my airweight (but didn't shoot it)

Great to meet the guys there. Great to meet guys that support Open Carry

So were you one of the guys there? Or did I tip my hand on here that I was going to the range?

1911forme

imported post

Good to hear. The laser grips are a great addition!

Fletcher's has been a customer of mine , for almost 20 years. Ihappen to beon the phone with them ,when you came in.