• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Web Site Problems

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

sounds like the work of a DDoS attack.... we do have enemies... they probably decided to get some zombie computers to do continual page access attempts, which would mean some would be blocked from access while others would connect and stay connected. As long as you kept a window open and connected to the forum, you would likely keep a channel open for you, while anyone else trying to access the site would get a 404 error.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
sounds like the work of a DDoS attack.... we do have enemies... they probably decided to get some zombie computers to do continual page access attempts, which would mean some would be blocked from access while others would connect and stay connected. As long as you kept a window open and connected to the forum, you would likely keep a channel open for you, while anyone else trying to access the site would get a 404 error.
Actually, these symptoms aren't what I experienced.

There are apparently two routers attached to this web server. In some routing decision, some sessions get to the server via Router 1, and some sessions get to the server via Router 2:

209.59.157.218 (lw-dc2-sec1-dist1-po2.rtr.liquidweb.com)
209.59.157.130 (lw-dc2-sec1-dist2-po2.rtr.liquidweb.com)

Those going through Router 1 were able to access the site and it was responsive with no sluggishness or errors.

Those going through Router 2 were unable to get the server to respond. I saw half-open (SYN_SENT) sessions on my end indicating the server was not getting my SYNchronize request, or it's reply was unable to get back to me. At no time did I receive a 404 (file not found) error.

I provide these details not to correct you, but rather, to provide additional information that will hopefully be useful to site admins in troubleshooting the issue.

Tim

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Actually, these symptoms aren't what I experienced.

There are apparently two routers attached to this web server. In some routing decision, some sessions get to the server via Router 1, and some sessions get to the server via Router 2:

209.59.157.218 (lw-dc2-sec1-dist1-po2.rtr.liquidweb.com)
209.59.157.130 (lw-dc2-sec1-dist2-po2.rtr.liquidweb.com)

Those going through Router 1 were able to access the site and it was responsive with no sluggishness or errors.

Those going through Router 2 were unable to get the server to respond. I saw half-open (SYN_SENT) sessions on my end indicating the server was not getting my SYNchronize request, or it's reply was unable to get back to me. At no time did I receive a 404 (file not found) error.

I provide these details not to correct you, but rather, to provide additional information that will hopefully be useful to site admins in troubleshooting the issue.

Tim

In that case, there are two possibilities:

1. the router is at fault and could not process all packets or was dropping packets for some reason.

2. A DDoS attack was causing most packets to get dropped.

since I have no access to the hardware to confirm this theory, it will have to be up to those with the access to make the determination.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had problems accessing the forums as well. Emailed John to see if there was tech problems on Tuesday. He had said the Server was having router problems and were working on it.

I, too, had the thought of sinister plots to disrupt our communications network cross my mind. :what::cuss:

But this event caused me to notice something else. Don't know I hadn't seen it before now. I have been subscribed to recieve the Townhall daileys and CNSNews headlines in my email. They've stopped coming. they seemed to stop after my Internet provider switched it's email service over to Googles Gmail, about a month and a half ago. The other night I went to the online server to do some checking. I found 22 emails in the spam folder, most of them were emails from conservative sources, like RNC. I didn't set any filters for this. A few days ago I started getting the Townhall stuff in my hotmail email. I didn't make any changes for this and don't know how it could have been switched.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've had problems getting to the site as well. And I've noticed that it takes longer to et the pages loaded.One of the ad banners (Crossbreed) has really slowedthings down.I've got a really slow dialup connection as it is @ 26K.