• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me Please. I am having a Memory Lapse

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Can anyone show me an ACTUAL Law on the books that states that a LEO can stop and arrest you because you have committed a crime or will BE committing a crime/ are about to commit a crime? And

Nuttycomputer

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Can anyone show me an ACTUAL Law on the books that states that a LEO can stop and arrest you because you have committed a crime or will BE committing a crime/ are about to commit a crime?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for:

U.C.A. 10-3-915

The members of the police force shall have the power and authority, without process, toarrest and take into custody any person who shall commit or threaten or attempt to commit in the presence of the officer, or within his view, any breach of the peace, or any offense directly prohibited by the laws of this state or by ordinance.

rpyne

imported post

Or maybe this one:
77-7-2. Arrest by peace officers.
A peace officer may make an arrest under authority of a warrant or may, without warrant, arrest a person:
(1) (a) for any public offense committed or attempted in the presence of any peace officer; and
(b) as used in this Subsection (1), "presence" includes all of the physical senses or any device that enhances the acuity, sensitivity, or range of any physical sense, or records the observations of any of the physical senses;
(2) when the peace officer has reasonable cause to believe a felony or a class A misdemeanor has been committed and has reasonable cause to believe that the person arrested has committed it;
(3) when the peace officer has reasonable cause to believe the person has committed a public offense, and there is reasonable cause for believing the person may:
(a) flee or conceal himself to avoid arrest;
(b) destroy or conceal evidence of the commission of the offense; or
(c) injure another person or damage property belonging to another person; or
(4) when the peace officer has reasonable cause to believe the person has committed the offense of failure to disclose identity under Section 76-8-301.5.

Nuttycomputer

imported post

rpyne, Great find. Didn't see that one.

It seems that an officer can only affect an arrest for a public offense commited, attempted, or threatened. Threatened only applies if it's done in the officer's presence. (Presence being defined very loosely in Utah Law)

Other than that I believe you can only be detained if the officer has a reasonable cause to believe you will commit a crime, but you can't just be arbitrarily arrested for a crime you may commit and certainly not charged for one.

Out of curiousity did you get arrested again? Lol. Seems like there is a story behind this question.