• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

4th San Diego Open Carry Outing

pullnshoot25

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Love the scavenger hunt idea. 12031 check .... does that mean it's unloaded? Is that required --- to allow them a warrantless search?
Pretty much. It is standing case law at the moment and therefore unavoidable but we are standing on what ground we have when we can get it.

I actually made training videos for it with my brother. Playlist link here:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9CDFD99BEFA7E9CB

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Glad to see this! I lived in San Diego for two years and hated it. One of the most corrupt places I've ever lived. Great weather, a lot of good people, but the government there is horrible. I used to use "Enron By The Sea" on my return address when sending letters

gravedigger

imported post

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression."

The responses I received from onlookers were split between the curiosity about OC, and the "men in skirts."

I know, you like kilts, and perhaps in some obscure way, it makes some sort of statement, but the people I stopped to speak with were TURNED OFF of our cause by the kilts.

Now, if the PURPOSE of OC is to expose the society to the notion that it is legal, why must we taint that FIRST IMPRESSION by appearing in kilts, which WITHOUT the knowledge that it is a kilt rather than a skirt, and without knowing the "ancient history of an oppressed people", onlookers will quickly write us off! I don't understand the kilt angle in our OC demonstrations. It seems like you are trying to attach a "rider" to the original bill! Are we out there to promote the free exercise of the 2nd amendment, or are we out there to draw attention to someother cause?

Are we demonstrating the free exercise of our 2nd amendment right, or are we adopting an "in your face" attitude about how (some) men dress?

All I'm saying is, from the responses I received, the kilts worked AGAINST us, rather than FOR us.

If you guys want to go out and have a KILT DAY and walk around in kilts and tell people about your reasons for wearing kilts, I say GO FOR IT! But for the OC event, I believe the kilts are working against us.

When someone is stopped for a 12031, if they are dressed like average Joe citizen, clean cut, Jeans, nice shoes, clean shirt ... the WITNESSES see ONLY "Cops harassing a citizen for legally carrying." When the cops stop someone in a KILT for 12031, witnesses see "Cops stop freak in skirt who is armed" and believe me when I say that they are more concerned with why the man is wearing a "Skirt" than with why he is carrying a weapon. One person told me, "I'm more concerned about the motivation behind the skirt than I am about the motivation to carry a weapon."

I know, Mulay and others will defend the wearing of kilts to the death, and SO WOULD I, *IF* the purpose of wearing them was to promote wearing them.

You don't see the women's rights marches walking down the street ALSO promoting the right to drive the vehicle of their choice, do you? They are FOCUSED ON THE ISSUE, even though other things may also be on their minds.

I'll reconsider participation in future events, if the purity of the message conveyed in the OC exercise is diluted by the kilt crowd. Like it or not, people will draw the conclusions they will draw, and if they decide by the FIRST IMPRESSION they get (seeing a man in a "skirt") that whatever message we have is irrelevant, than we have wasted our time.

An ex-M.P. Marine exiting Wal-Mart told me, "I support your OC efforts, but LOSE THE SKIRTS. The casual observer cannot see past the KILT to hear your message."

Sorry, but that pretty much sums up my feelings too.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I watched one the the Vids from San Diego,I take it that you cannot OC while Loaded unless you have a CCW permit? Whats the point? and if this is so is anyone fighting this in court?

pullnshoot25

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I watched one the the Vids from San Diego,I take it that you cannot OC while Loaded unless you have a CCW permit? Whats the point? and if this is so is anyone fighting this in court?
We are working on it. It takes some time. You have some of the ideas correct. See http;//californiaopencarry.com for more information.

pullnshoot25

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
"You never get a second chance to make a first impression."

The responses I received from onlookers were split between the curiosity about OC, and the "men in skirts."

I know, you like kilts, and perhaps in some obscure way, it makes some sort of statement, but the people I stopped to speak with were TURNED OFF of our cause by the kilts.

Now, if the PURPOSE of OC is to expose the society to the notion that it is legal, why must we taint that FIRST IMPRESSION by appearing in kilts, which WITHOUT the knowledge that it is a kilt rather than a skirt, and without knowing the "ancient history of an oppressed people", onlookers will quickly write us off! I don't understand the kilt angle in our OC demonstrations. It seems like you are trying to attach a "rider" to the original bill! Are we out there to promote the free exercise of the 2nd amendment, or are we out there to draw attention to someother cause?

Are we demonstrating the free exercise of our 2nd amendment right, or are we adopting an "in your face" attitude about how (some) men dress?

All I'm saying is, from the responses I received, the kilts worked AGAINST us, rather than FOR us.

If you guys want to go out and have a KILT DAY and walk around in kilts and tell people about your reasons for wearing kilts, I say GO FOR IT! But for the OC event, I believe the kilts are working against us.

When someone is stopped for a 12031, if they are dressed like average Joe citizen, clean cut, Jeans, nice shoes, clean shirt ... the WITNESSES see ONLY "Cops harassing a citizen for legally carrying." When the cops stop someone in a KILT for 12031, witnesses see "Cops stop freak in skirt who is armed" and believe me when I say that they are more concerned with why the man is wearing a "Skirt" than with why he is carrying a weapon. One person told me, "I'm more concerned about the motivation behind the skirt than I am about the motivation to carry a weapon."

I know, Mulay and others will defend the wearing of kilts to the death, and SO WOULD I, *IF* the purpose of wearing them was to promote wearing them.

You don't see the women's rights marches walking down the street ALSO promoting the right to drive the vehicle of their choice, do you? They are FOCUSED ON THE ISSUE, even though other things may also be on their minds.

I'll reconsider participation in future events, if the purity of the message conveyed in the OC exercise is diluted by the kilt crowd. Like it or not, people will draw the conclusions they will draw, and if they decide by the FIRST IMPRESSION they get (seeing a man in a "skirt") that whatever message we have is irrelevant, than we have wasted our time.

An ex-M.P. Marine exiting Wal-Mart told me, "I support your OC efforts, but LOSE THE SKIRTS. The casual observer cannot see past the KILT to hear your message."

Sorry, but that pretty much sums up my feelings too.
I see your point. Looks like we will either have to pack bigger guns when in kilts or just dissuade or at least not encourage wearing the kilt altogether. If the former, an AR/AK pistol comes to mind, if not a rifle.