Thread: Long guns

Post imported post

Everything on this site seames to be about pistols and I was wondering if the same laws would apply to a long gun.How about a long gun without a sling?

How do you use spell check on this site?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Some do and some don't - laws apply that is - and use spell check too.

Post imported post

The same laws apply to carrying hand guns and long guns, with the exception of the statute which regulates carrying firearms in places with a Class B liquor license-- which applies only to hand guns.

Slightly different rules of prudence and common sense apply however, since the impression one makes carrying long gun may be different than the impression one makes going armed with a hand gun in some locations.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    The same laws apply to carrying hand guns and long guns, with the exception of the statute which regulates carrying firearms in places with a Class B liquor license-- which applies only to hand guns.

Slightly different rules of prudence and common sense apply however, since the impression one makes carrying long gun may be different than the impression one makes going armed with a hand gun in some locations.
    +1

In the end it's going to depend on where you live. If you live out in the sticks it's not going to be a big deal because of lack of people. If you're planning on walking around Milwaukee with a rifle, expect to be arrested at gunpoint by about 30 cops. Long guns in metro areas will provoke an overreaction. Just look at Jesus and Dave. They were minding their own business and were arrested for no other reason than the police didn't want them carrying and all they had were handguns.

If you don't mind me asking, what were you planning on carrying and where were you planning on doing it? Or were you just proposing a hypothetical?
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

I just got a double barrle 20gauge flintlock and I carry it with me when I go for check my traps. It is about a mile walk from my house through town down main street, around a school zone to get to my traps. I carry with the flash pans full, frizzens closed and half cocked. the reason for carrying it that way is to get experience for what positions I can carry it in and not have the powder leak out well walking. And in wisconsin a flintlock is considered unloaded if the pan is emptey regarduluss if the barrel is charged and loaded and I assume it would be considered loaded if the pan is full even if the barrel is empty. I wouldn't plan on shopping or anything with it just carring it down the street . That is my main reason for wondering the other reason is Hypothetical, if you take a pistol out of a holster in a public place it is called brandishing. If you are carrying a long gun without a sling in public is that considered brandishing.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Hillmann wrote:
    That is my main reason for wondering the other reason is Hypothetical, if you take a pistol out of a holster in a public place it is called brandishing. If you are carrying a long gun without a sling in public is that considered brandishing.
    Called and/or considered brandishing by who or what law?

Recently here it was argued that a holstered pistol could be considered concealed. Sounds like a Catch-22, holstered might be concealed and carried might be brandishing.

Bottom line, open carry is legal with limitations that are not the same for long guns and pistols. A long gun is legal in a bar where a pistol is not.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thinking about Glockmeister's and DOugs posts it reinforced my belief.

1.) Open carry is the only way to legaly carry a firearm in Wisconsin.

2.) Any arrest caused soley by a person being in lawfull possession of a firearm is a guarunteed law suit, and it may stop police harassment.

3.) So do it if you want! You are in the right, the police are the ones that will pay the price. **** go carry an AR-15 downtown in an area not in a school zone. YES you may be arrested but if the dumbass cops want to **** with your rights, then sue the **** outta them.

I am not subtle about my rights, I know when to play it smart but being arrested for simply open carrying ANY firearm has to stop PERIOD!

Ben

Post imported post

I wanna go to a bar with my AR-15 on my back and sit down and order a burger, fries, and a pepsi....

But then, walking into Wal-Mart on a Saturday afternoon with the AR would be even better.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Post imported post

Damnit Logan....

Now ya got me wanting to do that too. I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm sure haulin4u has an AR I can borrow.

Post imported post

Haha. But before I would ever do that I'd need to have a good lawyer lined up :P It'd be fun though!
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association