• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long guns

Hillmann

imported post

Everything on this site seames to be about pistols and I was wondering if the same laws would apply to a long gun.How about a long gun without a sling?

How do you use spell check on this site?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The same laws apply to carrying hand guns and long guns, with the exception of the statute which regulates carrying firearms in places with a Class B liquor license-- which applies only to hand guns.

Slightly different rules of prudence and common sense apply however, since the impression one makes carrying long gun may be different than the impression one makes going armed with a hand gun in some locations.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
The same laws apply to carrying hand guns and long guns, with the exception of the statute which regulates carrying firearms in places with a Class B liquor license-- which applies only to hand guns.

Slightly different rules of prudence and common sense apply however, since the impression one makes carrying long gun may be different than the impression one makes going armed with a hand gun in some locations.

+1

In the end it's going to depend on where you live. If you live out in the sticks it's not going to be a big deal because of lack of people. If you're planning on walking around Milwaukee with a rifle, expect to be arrested at gunpoint by about 30 cops. Long guns in metro areas will provoke an overreaction. Just look at Jesus and Dave. They were minding their own business and were arrested for no other reason than the police didn't want them carrying and all they had were handguns.

If you don't mind me asking, what were you planning on carrying and where were you planning on doing it? Or were you just proposing a hypothetical?

Hillmann

imported post

I just got a double barrle 20gauge flintlock and I carry it with me when I go for check my traps. It is about a mile walk from my house through town down main street, around a school zone to get to my traps. I carry with the flash pans full, frizzens closed and half cocked. the reason for carrying it that way is to get experience for what positions I can carry it in and not have the powder leak out well walking. And in wisconsin a flintlock is considered unloaded if the pan is emptey regarduluss if the barrel is charged and loaded and I assume it would be considered loaded if the pan is full even if the barrel is empty. I wouldn't plan on shopping or anything with it just carring it down the street . That is my main reason for wondering the other reason is Hypothetical, if you take a pistol out of a holster in a public place it is called brandishing. If you are carrying a long gun without a sling in public is that considered brandishing.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
That is my main reason for wondering the other reason is Hypothetical, if you take a pistol out of a holster in a public place it is called brandishing. If you are carrying a long gun without a sling in public is that considered brandishing.
Called and/or considered brandishing by who or what law?

Recently here it was argued that a holstered pistol could be considered concealed. Sounds like a Catch-22, holstered might be concealed and carried might be brandishing.

Bottom line, open carry is legal with limitations that are not the same for long guns and pistols. A long gun is legal in a bar where a pistol is not.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thinking about Glockmeister's and DOugs posts it reinforced my belief.

1.) Open carry is the only way to legaly carry a firearm in Wisconsin.

2.) Any arrest caused soley by a person being in lawfull possession of a firearm is a guarunteed law suit, and it may stop police harassment.

3.) So do it if you want! You are in the right, the police are the ones that will pay the price. **** go carry an AR-15 downtown in an area not in a school zone. YES you may be arrested but if the dumbass cops want to **** with your rights, then sue the shit outta them.

I am not subtle about my rights, I know when to play it smart but being arrested for simply open carrying ANY firearm has to stop PERIOD!

Ben

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wanna go to a bar with my AR-15 on my back and sit down and order a burger, fries, and a pepsi....

But then, walking into Wal-Mart on a Saturday afternoon with the AR would be even better.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Haha. But before I would ever do that I'd need to have a good lawyer lined up :p It'd be fun though! :lol: