Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Vehicle open carry, the final word

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville KY, ,
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    I thought it would be best to just start another thread on this subject so future OC'ers could just click and read.

    I contacted the KY State Police office, CCDW permit issuing authority. The gentleman's name is Willie, and was very helpful. I will give the phone number upon request, or he said the site is Kentuckystatepolice.org.

    Bottom line, the deadly weapon has to be fully visible. It can be on the passenger or rear seat provided nothing is partially covering it up, or on the dash or back window in case of a rifle or shotgun.

    The gun cannot be stuffed between the seat and center console, even if the grip is visible. To me this goes against the OC with IWB holster, but I digress. It can also be placed in a glovebox without permit.

    Now the LEO pulling you over may have differing opinions on the matter and arrest you, but it won't hold up in court. Willie said this has been in place for many years with the recent addition of the glovebox allowance.

    Hope this helps.

  2. #2
    Regular Member hotrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Union, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    chris in va wrote:
    I thought it would be best to just start another thread on this subject so future OC'ers could just click and read.

    I contacted the KY State Police office, CCDW permit issuing authority. The gentleman's name is Willie, and was very helpful. I will give the phone number upon request, or he said the site is Kentuckystatepolice.org.

    Bottom line, the deadly weapon has to be fully visible. It can be on the passenger or rear seat provided nothing is partially covering it up, or on the dash or back window in case of a rifle or shotgun.

    The gun cannot be stuffed between the seat and center console, even if the grip is visible. To me this goes against the OC with IWB holster, but I digress. It can also be placed in a glove box without permit.

    Now the LEO pulling you over may have differing opinions on the matter and arrest you, but it won't hold up in court. Willie said this has been in place for many years with the recent addition of the glove box allowance.

    Hope this helps.
    Case law has been very specific in this. If it is recognizable as a handgun, it is not concealed. The glove box carry is not a recent addition. It has been in place long before CCDW was approved in 1996. I will research case law and post here as soon as I can.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olive Hill, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    186

    Post imported post

    I knew of the glove box exception in 1975 when I went on KSP.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    MrOverlay wrote:
    I knew of the glove box exception in 1975 when I went on KSP.
    best thing to do is get your ccdw license. then you dont have to worry about it

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville KY, ,
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    Getting a permit is fine, except for new residents. You have to wait 6 months, take the CC course which adds another possible couple weeks, wait for the certificate then another couple months for the permit.

    All told, at least 9 months wait time for the permit. Completely unacceptable in my opinion, considering my VA permit took 40 days.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Near Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    chris in va wrote:
    Getting a permit is fine, except for new residents. You have to wait 6 months, take the CC course which adds another possible couple weeks, wait for the certificate then another couple months for the permit.

    All told, at least 9 months wait time for the permit. Completely unacceptable in my opinion, considering my VA permit took 40 days.
    Actually, you don't HAVE to be a resident to take the class. So you can take the class BEFORE you have lived here 6 months, and then make application with the Sheriff on the day you become a resident. So about 7 to 7.5 months without a CCDW permit tops.

    And if you have a CCDW permit from your existing state, there should be no interval time, right?

  7. #7
    Regular Member reefteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    511

    Post imported post

    You can concealed carry in Kentucky on a Florida permit. This would give you 5 years to get the Kentucky license, if you decide you want it at all.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    If theintent is to open carry in Kentucky then what isthe concern with Concealed Carry?

    Dress in a manner to eliminate the possibility of it becoming concealed. In your car carry in the glove box where statues clearly states you are not conceal carrying.







  9. #9
    Regular Member mellio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    Fred wrote:
    If theintent is to open carry in Kentucky then what isthe concern with Concealed Carry?

    Dress in a manner to eliminate the possibility of it becoming concealed. In your car carry in the glove box where statues clearly states you are not conceal carrying.






    You are right that you can carry in your glove box and it will not be considered concealed. But also remember that if it is not concealed it will not be considered concealed.

    It seems a little weird to me that some people want to carry a gun with them unconcealedso that they are ready in case of the need for self defense, but when they get in the car they want the gun to be away from them in a box on the other side of the car. I'm not putting anyone down for thier choice of carry. To each their own but it just seems wierd to me.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)
    Posts
    296

    Post imported post

    chris in va wrote:
    Getting a permit is fine, except for new residents. You have to wait 6 months, take the CC course which adds another possible couple weeks, wait for the certificate then another couple months for the permit.

    All told, at least 9 months wait time for the permit. Completely unacceptable in my opinion, considering my VA permit took 40 days.
    Maybe I really do need to move to KY like I've been considering. I will conduct the class any time, just as I do here in MI. Is it really that long of a wait to get into a class down there?

    Edit to add: As far as waiting for the certificate, I give those out the day the class is completed. There is no wait when I conduct classes. What do they charge for classe down there?
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

    I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Near Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    Springfield Smitty wrote:
    chris in va wrote:
    Getting a permit is fine, except for new residents. You have to wait 6 months, take the CC course which adds another possible couple weeks, wait for the certificate then another couple months for the permit.

    All told, at least 9 months wait time for the permit. Completely unacceptable in my opinion, considering my VA permit took 40 days.
    Maybe I really do need to move to KY like I've been considering. I will conduct the class any time, just as I do here in MI. Is it really that long of a wait to get into a class down there?

    Edit to add: As far as waiting for the certificate, I give those out the day the class is completed. There is no wait when I conduct classes. What do they charge for classe down there?
    As for the class certificates, instructors don't "give them out". We submit the class documents (and $$) to the KY Dept of Criminal Justice Training, and they issue the certificates. That takes about 2-3 weeks normally. Then you take the certificate to the local Sheriff, and apply for the permit. Sheriff submits your application to KSP, who does the background check and issues the permit. Typically this takes 4-6 weeks by itself.

    HTH



  12. #12
    Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)
    Posts
    296

    Post imported post

    Well, I guess it is a lot longer process in KY, but it is less expensive than MI. Guess that's okay though, since OC is so widely accepted and there are not near as many limitations on OC as there are in MI.

    How much do the instructors charge for the classes in KY?
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

    I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Near Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    Springfield Smitty wrote:
    Well, I guess it is a lot longer process in KY, but it is less expensive than MI. Guess that's okay though, since OC is so widely accepted and there are not near as many limitations on OC as there are in MI.

    How much do the instructors charge for the classes in KY?
    The state sets the maximum price for the class of $75, plus up to $10 for targets, range fees, etc....

  14. #14
    Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)
    Posts
    296

    Post imported post

    I found this interesting as well. MI does not regulate the amount an instructor may charge for the CPL course.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

    I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville KY, ,
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    I wanted to take the CC course a few months ago, but the guy at Knob Creek told me I couldn't take it until my 6 month residency was up. One of the other ranges said the same thing.

    My VA license became invalid once I moved to KY. I've been operating on my FL non-res but it's not valid in WV.

    $75? Knob Creek wanted $100 for their class. I went with another guy that did charge $75 including range time.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Near Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    chris in va wrote:
    I wanted to take the CC course a few months ago, but the guy at Knob Creek told me I couldn't take it until my 6 month residency was up. One of the other ranges said the same thing.

    My VA license became invalid once I moved to KY. I've been operating on my FL non-res but it's not valid in WV.

    $75? Knob Creek wanted $100 for their class. I went with another guy that did charge $75 including range time.
    Its a common misconception that you have to be a resident to take the class, but its not true. You have to be a resident to apply for a CCDW permit with the sheriff, but that doesn't apply to the class IMHO.

    If Knob Creek is charging more than $75 for the class plus an extra $10 for supplies, that's not going by what the statute reads... check out paragraph 8:

    www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/122.PDF



  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pierce is a Coward, ,
    Posts
    1,100

    Post imported post

    chris in va wrote:
    $75? Knob Creek wanted $100 for their class.
    Do you get to shoot the flamethrower?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Near Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    smoking357 wrote:
    chris in va wrote:
    $75? Knob Creek wanted $100 for their class.
    Do you get to shoot the flamethrower?
    That's extra.... at least in my class it is!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •